Expectations if Taysom Hill Becomes the Starting QB in 2020 (1 Viewer)

Thing with Taysom is, he cant operate as #1 QB like he does as #3.

You need him to throw at least 70% of his snaps, which might work, but once our opponets defenses realize that he will shy of running like a cannon ball, they will adjust and make his life harder.

nevertheless, I really enjoy watching TH7 and would be fun to test him as starting QB, at least for a season. At worst we would have a #1 overall draft pick for a future QB :D

Nowhere in the world of football do you need a QB to throw 70% of the time to win unless you are the Saints with Drew Brees and Payton has a coronaviruslike case of the dontwannarunitis

It's pretty cut and dry for me.

This team is built to win without Drew
This team CAN win without Drew
I don't think this team can win a championship with Taysom this year.
They can win between 7 and 9 games and get a playoff spot but they won't go far IMHO.
Brees is your best chance at 1 more run. It wasn't that 2016 class that really boosted this team it was the 2017 class and you've got 1 more year b4 some major decisions must be made with that Class

There are zero guarantees that Brees arm makes it to the post season. I have precedent (2018 Season) and unless you are considering some type of load management, there is no guarantee Drew will be spotted another 5 games where there are zero losses with him on the bench.

There are zero guarantees that Brees arm makes it to the post season. I have precedent (2018 Season) and unless you are considering some type of load management, there is no guarantee Drew will be spotted another 5 games where there are zero losses with him on the bench.

I understand that argument and I'm wary of it but do you want to win games or when a ship? If you just want to win games and start the post Brees era - move on to Taysom. If you want one more shot at a SB with the nucleus that was built with the 17 class Brees is your best bet..even with the above being a reality

I understand that argument and I'm wary of it but do you want to win games or when a ship? If you just want to win games and start the post Brees era - move on to Taysom. If you want one more shot at a SB with the nucleus that was built with the 17 class Brees is your best bet..even with the above being a reality

Statistically speaking, yes a tenured Brees has a higher probability of winning the SB over 1 year starter Taysom him. However, lost in that is how high that probability really is?

What do we know?

The team (irregardless of things) put themselves in position to not get it done 3 years in a row. We can argue til the Sun comes up about how or why we lost, but that doesn't change the outcome of what is now.

This team won 5 games without Drew Brees in an offensive system that showcased directly what Latavius Murray could do for us (hovering around 5 yards a carry) and the Defense played with more tenacity because for some odd reason they understood they had no lifeline by the name of Drew Brees.

Two teams showed us that running the ball and RPO/PA tendencies off the run can get you very far. At minimum, the AFC Divisional Game (where one eliminated the other).

The absolute biggest weakness we would immediately gain with Taysom at QB is quick strikes initially. If we play KC at the beginning of the year, we wont win that game. However, if its in the back half of the year I think we have a decent shot.

Brees + Taysom > Just Brees or just Taysom

That's why I think if you want to maximize talent to win a Superbowl you need Brees and Taysom instead of one or the other. This offense was a whole new animal the more Taysom was introduced. I think if you continue giving Taysom more snaps with Drew still as the primary QB, we are deadly.

Statistically speaking, yes a tenured Brees has a higher probability of winning the SB over 1 year starter Taysom him. However, lost in that is how high that probability really is?

What do we know?

The team (irregardless of things) put themselves in position to not get it done 3 years in a row. We can argue til the Sun comes up about how or why we lost, but that doesn't change the outcome of what is now.

This team won 5 games without Drew Brees in an offensive system that showcased directly what Latavius Murray could do for us (hovering around 5 yards a carry) and the Defense played with more tenacity because for some odd reason they understood they had no lifeline by the name of Drew Brees.

Two teams showed us that running the ball and RPO/PA tendencies off the run can get you very far. At minimum, the AFC Divisional Game (where one eliminated the other).

The absolute biggest weakness we would immediately gain with Taysom at QB is quick strikes initially. If we play KC at the beginning of the year, we wont win that game. However, if its in the back half of the year I think we have a decent shot.

Brees arm isn't going to last 16+ games and there is no guarantee that a QB who's had a history of injuries in college and who's been on somewhat of a pitch count will last 16+ games in that style of offense.

They both come with issues.

That's why I think if you want to maximize talent to win a Superbowl you need Brees and Taysom instead of one or the other. This offense was a whole new animal the more Taysom was introduced. I think if you continue giving Taysom more snaps with Drew still as the primary QB, we are deadly.

I concur - Taysom is an offensive weapon on a team that doesn't have many. He's necessary for next year and will be retained. I truly think the Saints are posturing to get Brees to take less money but you absolutely want both players back. Just by using a little common sense (not saying anyone saying otherwise is dumb) 2020 isn't the year to unleash Taysom because of the shaky QB situation. You have 0 under contract - If next year is the year you need to find a #2 as well with Teddy likely wanting to start somewhere else. There are far fewer questions that need to be answered once you get Drew back and you'd at least have a year to develop a QB who could make some plays should something happen to Taysom.

Brees arm isn't going to last 16+ games and there is no guarantee that a QB who's had a history of injuries in college and who's been on somewhat of a pitch count will last 16+ games in that style of offense.

They both come with issues.

I concur - Taysom is an offensive weapon on a team that doesn't have many. He's necessary for next year and will be retained. I simply think the Saints are posturing to get Brees to take less money but you absolutely want both players back.

Now this is a debate we can have!

Who has the higher probability of finishing a 16 game season?

A 41 year old QB with known arm issues at the end of season
A 29 year old Athlete with known major injuries (that hasnt show much lately BUT could change with load increase)

Now lets factor in the cost of keeping one over the other...

Brees will cost you 21+ The new contract
Taysom will cost you a 1st rd tendered Contract.

Neither move the needle so far in the SB direction.

Now this is a debate we can have!

Who has the higher probability of finishing a 16 game season?

A 41 year old QB with known arm issues at the end of season
A 29 year old Athlete with known major injuries (that hasnt show much lately BUT could change with load increase)

Now lets factor in the cost of keeping one over the other...

Brees will cost you 21+ The new contract
Taysom will cost you a 1st rd tendered Contract.

Neither move the needle so far in the SB direction.

I think the above poster made the best point...by themselves neither moves the SB meter much. That's why the goal is to retain both but push Drew into taking less and then try to work out a deal with Taysom that pushes most of the incentives/money into 2021 when he's likely given the keys (in best case scenario) In other words they'll pay Drew like a top 15 QB and pay Taysom like the jack of all trades he is but with a chance to get some QB money the following year.

Last edited:
As a Spurs fan, I can tell you that this is a bit fantasy land. I thought the same when Duncan and Ginobili retired.

"Cool, after 20 years of title contention, now I can watch stress free, not worry about it as much and just enjoy games".

Now I just watch them lose. It's not as fun as you think it will be.
As a Bulls' fan, I agree. Michael Jordan retired 20+ years ago and I'm still waiting for them to even be average again.

We need to enjoy Brees while we can.

I am the biggest Drew Brees fan...love the guy, read his book, he's a personal hero. That said, I have great admiration for Taysom Hill and what he brings to the table on and OFF the field. He strikes me as an absolute winner and I can't imagine us struggling to move the ball with him full time in our offense.

perfect scenario drew brees comes back we win superbowl, while he takes taysom under his wing and gives him much more attention to detail, then drew retires happily and taysom brings us back to the superbowl the following year. i can dream cant i?

we are spoiled to a point. We have 3 NFL starting caliber QBs on the roster (until free agency but still) Most teams only have 1

Hill would go 11-5. These are the five losses:

1. Hill blocks his own punt and returns it for a touchdown early. But the main story is a furious rally from down 17 in the 4th. It ends, though, as Hill throws too hard to his check-down target in the final minute. The ball is deflected into the air and intercepted. Saints are 3-1.
2. Hill's relatively small hands show up as a liability. He fumbles four times and loses three. The Saints are defeated by 18. Pundits blame his poor biorhythms. He does, however, block a punt and record two sacks. Saints are 5-2.
3. Hill is wildly inaccurate for much of the middle of game and the Saints fall behind against a good offense. The fourth quarter is thrilling, however, as he rushes for 70 total yards on two drives and twice catches his own pass, but it's not enough as he fails to recover his own onsides kick in the closing minute. Saints are 8-3.
4. Hill engineers a brilliant drive in the rain at game's end but the field goal try to win it is blocked at the line, despite Hill playing as both guards. Saints are 8-4.
5. The receivers have an off day, as does the rest of the offense. Five drops and five sacks of Hill. Saints lose badly on a short week, having won gloriously on the prior Monday when Hill scored 11 touchdowns....in the first half. Saints are 10-5.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom