Expectations of April 6th (1 Viewer)

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously, we are all disappointed, upset, amongst the many emotions that there is no football especially during the most exciting time of the off season.

We are all looking towards April 6th as an important date. That said the way our system works in the courts I wouldn't expect the players to walk back into the locker room on April 6th, 7th or anytime close to that. I'm guessing there will be appeals by either side.

Certainly I would think the judge wouldn't make a ruling that day. Would she? Maybe some of our legal guru's on here could weigh in.

I'm hopeful there would be a decision but based on what we know if this thing stays in the courts we could be dealing with a series of motions that could prolong this stalemate.

You would think that logically, they wouldn't end a lockout, they would outlaw the draft and everyone without a contract is an unrestricted free agent. But this is the legislative department and the last thing they want to hear is logic. Figure on anything happening and nobody knowing what to do.

this is just another case of people caring way too much about things they can't control

life goes on

It's going to be the most anti-climatic day in sports history.

I think most fans have convinced themselves we'll have a resolution to all this on that day.

I think most fans have convinced themselves we'll have a resolution to all this on that day.

Well. It'll be significant. I think we could see some movement after it. It definantly provides leverage for whoever wins. You'll likely see the ruling, then a weeks worth of very public posturing (such as what happened right after de-certification) as both sides try to feel the other out to see if either is budging, and then potentially movement on some issues.

However, I'm preparing myself for this to drag out into July.

Obviously, we are all disappointed, upset, amongst the many emotions that there is no football especially during the most exciting time of the off season.

We are all looking towards April 6th as an important date. That said the way our system works in the courts I wouldn't expect the players to walk back into the locker room on April 6th, 7th or anytime close to that. I'm guessing there will be appeals by either side.

Certainly I would think the judge wouldn't make a ruling that day. Would she? Maybe some of our legal guru's on here could weigh in.

I'm hopeful there would be a decision but based on what we know if this thing stays in the courts we could be dealing with a series of motions that could prolong this stalemate.

The judge will rule on the injunction, I think. How she rules on the injunction will be strongly indicative of how she will rule on the final case, so it represents something of a defacto ruling ahead of time. You are correct though, there are multiple levels of appeals.

Despite that, neither side can afford to let this drag into the 2011 season. Consequently whoever loses on April 6th will face a certain amount of pressure to have some sort of "movement" off their positions. If they move enough, and if the other side is positively responsive, we could see something develop. But even that would require at least a week of a lot of public posturing as both sides blame the other and make all kinds of pronouncements, trying to feel each other out. So even if April 6th provides the genesis of a new agreement, you probably won't see anything before the draft.

If both sides continue to hold tough regardless of what the April 6th ruling is, playing the long-game, then the next real deadline is in July really. If this runs into the regular start of training camp then the 2011 season is in very real risk. That's when you will see 3rd party pressure really come to bare, in terms of the fans, sponsors, networks, even congress or the President.

So, we'll either start seeing some signs in the weeks following April 6th, and if we don't we might as well resign ourselves to not having any progress until July.

I think hardly anyone thinks there will be any kind of resolution on that day.

My question is, is it possible for FA and/or negotiations to begin while the appeals process is taking place.

They should have kept this out of the courts. Our legal system just like our government is the definition of inefficient.

at best, both sides may call the mediator and see if this can be resolved. I'm not sure what areas they can agree on, but you may see a little movement. I hope they keep it out of the media until resolved.

Well if the players are granted the injunction against the lockout then from what I read they have a really good chance of winning and visa verse.
Either side would be crazy to appeal the final judgment as that would mean a lost season.
If the injunction is granted the owners would be guilty of contempt of court if they continued the lockout. They can face additional fines and even jail time if they didn't comply.
So I look for things to move fairly fast after April 6.

Calling any attorney's in contract law or labor negotiations.

Well. It'll be significant. I think we could see some movement after it. It definantly provides leverage for whoever wins. You'll likely see the ruling, then a weeks worth of very public posturing (such as what happened right after de-certification) as both sides try to feel the other out to see if either is budging, and then potentially movement on some issues.

However, I'm preparing myself for this to drag out into July.

Isn't the 6th just the initial hearing?

I wonder if we'll see a ruling at all immediately.

I'll wake up and go about my day as usual. MLB opening day is around corner, gonna look for cheap tickets. I don't like any other sport but nfl to watch full time, but I'm hoping mixing in professional and college of baseball, basketball, n college football will work. If rich ppl can't come together to play a game, I'll find something else. Hopefully they play on time and this is all behind us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom