Explain this penalty to me. (1 Viewer)

helofixer

Schlägertruppen
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this was posted, but I searched and found none. The Saints got called for an illegal formation early in the 3rd. The ref announces that the saints lined up in an illegal formation then shifted to a legal one. Ok if we move back to a legal formation before the snap, how can it be a penalty?
:interrogations:

I asked to same thing in the gameday board. Makes no sense to me. I thought you can move all you want with your recievers motion wise until the snap.

You'd kinda have to know what was illegal about the initial formation. Otherwise, you're just guessing.

What about when someone goes in motion and comes set at the line of scrimmage and then has the receiver next to him move off the line? Wouldn't that be an illegal formation for the instant that the receiver hasn't moved off the line?

I think it falls into the category of rules that helps defenses set up or make adjustments. Kinda like the 12th man in the huddle rule or that rule we heard during the Eagles game that in a hurry up offense the defense has the right to adjust if the offense makes a substitution. I can kinda understand the rule. If that rule wasn't there offenses would be lining up in illegal formations, confusing the defense, and then hurrying up to get into a legal one and snap the ball.

If you've got a tackle uncovered (eligible) and he doesn't report, that's an illegal formation. Shift to cover him and you're legal, but you didn't start out legal. Flag.

That's one scenario that comes to mind.

If you've got a tackle uncovered (eligible) and he doesn't report, that's an illegal formation. Shift to cover him and you're legal, but you didn't start out legal. Flag.

Thats what happened. They lined up illigally, they shifted into a legal formation. Its still an illegal formation.

Thats a good explanation, and i'm sure its probably true, but man it sure seems like every week during a game somewhere, that they whip out some obscure or new rule that makes it seem like they make it up as they go along. :hihi:

I can just about guarantee you, it's got to do with having seven men on the line when the offense is SET. Notice, I didn't say when the ball is SNAPPED. I said SET.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom