Extending WiFi range (1 Viewer)

The best option is a Mesh Wi-Fi system. An Orbi that has the base Wi-Fi router and an extender is a little under $300 or Amazon. You would put the extender near the back of the house.

There are cheaper Wi-Fi extenders, but I have never found them to work very well. I finally gave up and got the Orbi and I have had no Wi-Fi issues since.

I've actually thought about getting an Orbi. I've talked to a couple of people who have it and they gave rave reviews.

We don't really need anything elaborate with our small condo, but if I ever buy a house, I'd like to be able to stay connected not just in the house, but outside as well.

I've actually thought about getting an Orbi. I've talked to a couple of people who have it and they gave rave reviews.

We don't really need anything elaborate with our small condo, but if I ever buy a house, I'd like to be able to stay connected not just in the house, but outside as well.
I’m slow, but absolutely go with the Orbi. They just work and work very well.

Another vote for a mesh system. I have an Orbi system, but eero, google mesh systems, Linksys mesh, etc. They’re all basically the same idea and are the answer to your question.

The best option is a Mesh Wi-Fi system. An Orbi that has the base Wi-Fi router and an extender is a little under $300 or Amazon. You would put the extender near the back of the house.

There are cheaper Wi-Fi extenders, but I have never found them to work very well. I finally gave up and got the Orbi and I have had no Wi-Fi issues since.

This. WiFi extenders and repeaters can actually cut your WiFi speeds drastically if not done correctly. Mesh systems are made to do this with no fuss or configuration and they work great.

Orbis are excellent. I've had mine a couple years now and I no longer have bad connection anywhere in the house and I have only had to reset my router like twice. And I do a lot of streaming and online gaming. We often have two or three devices streaming HD video, along with 3 phones and random other stuff, on WiFi with no issues at all. I even have WiFi extending into the backyard and the base station and the extender are in the middle of the house.

Orbis are excellent. I've had mine a couple years now and I no longer have bad connection anywhere in the house and I have only had to reset my router like twice. And I do a lot of streaming and online gaming. We often have two or three devices streaming HD video, along with 3 phones and random other stuff, on WiFi with no issues at all. I even have WiFi extending into the backyard and the base station and the extender are in the middle of the house.
orbi (3k, not sure about the 22 or whatever k), is the best investment i have made for active wifi mesh. you can incorporate the 3k and the 2.whateverk, with.

anyway. orbi 3000 is the best investment for wifi (at least the near future).

Whatever you do, do NOT download any updates from Net Gear. My Orbi got toasted from the update immediately after downloading and Net Gear showed me no mercy.

I had an Eero pro and two beakens If I went this route again I would just get two eero pros. The pro was very good and most things just connected to it. The problem with the current model beacons is that they don’t have an ac wire, just sit right at the outlet.In most setups this means they are down low, have to go through furniture and generally just don’t have many placement options.

similarly I have always been displeased with most WiFi extenders. if I owed the house I would prefer running wire to a bridge orseparate router.

I had an Eero pro and two beakens If I went this route again I would just get two eero pros. The pro was very good and most things just connected to it. The problem with the current model beacons is that they don’t have an ac wire, just sit right at the outlet.In most setups this means they are down low, have to go through furniture and generally just don’t have many placement options.

similarly I have always been displeased with most WiFi extenders. if I owed the house I would prefer running wire to a bridge orseparate router.
nerd

I have 2 Eero beacons and both are in hallways with lots of space. Wifi signal isn't going to degrade much over a few pieces of furniture, unless the furniture is made of lead. I like the simple plug at the outlet design. The extenders my company markets and sells to ATT have a cord like you said. I hate that because now I have to find a place to set the damn thing on.

I went with the Google WiFi 3 pack (~$300). All of the routers are the same physically and you can always add more if needed. I have not had any problems since I got these and had a Nighthawk with extender in the part that did not work very well at all.

Amazon has a lot of 1 star reviews on the Google system with comments that they seem to have to be within line of sight to work, but I am not seeing that at all. The router connected to my cable modem is up in a closet, and the other AP's are in different rooms separated by multiple walls and good distances.

The Orbi system may be better though, not sure.

Absolutely this. I switched to a mesh system last year, Netgear Orbi, and tripled my wifi speed in the room furthest from my old Netgear Nighthawk. No issues when I go out to the backyard either.

I went with the Google WiFi 3 pack (~$300). All of the routers are the same physically and you can always add more if needed. I have not had any problems since I got these and had a Nighthawk with extender in the part that did not work very well at all.

Amazon has a lot of 1 star reviews on the Google system with comments that they seem to have to be within line of sight to work, but I am not seeing that at all. The router connected to my cable modem is up in a closet, and the other AP's are in different rooms separated by multiple walls and good distances.

The Orbi system may be better though, not sure.

That's not my experience with them.

However, if you have them downstream of another device they are a total terror. You can't have passthrough mode enabled and have the guest wireless, it's dumb. That was fun Meraki install. I'm not particularly fond of the management, but it's fine for people who don't want to be able to tweak.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom