External hard drive problem. (1 Viewer)

sthomas1124

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Ok, so my wife accidentally plugged my laptop charger into the ac port on my external hard drive and I think it fried something in it. Is there anyway that it can be repaired or that I can at least recover the 200 gigs of stuff that I have stored on the hard drive? I remember hearing a friend talk about changing the case on his once when it went out. Is that something that might work with mine and where would be the best place to find one?

What model is the drive/enclosure? It's possible that the drive is still good and could work in another enclosure/computer but not guaranteed.

That's probably a SATA drive, you should be able to open the case and see the drive model to make sure.

Newegg is my first stop for enclosures. They have several popular USB SATA enclosures for around $20 here. Even if the drive is a total loss (always keep backups) the new enclosure will still be useful with a new HD.

You could also try the drive in a PC if you have a suitable PC and you're comfortable adding internal drives.

So, I bought a new enclosure and it still didn't work. Guess I'll just have to get a new external. Thanks for the help anyway.

So, I bought a new enclosure and it still didn't work. Guess I'll just have to get a new external. Thanks for the help anyway.

Depending on the value of the data, there are companies that will physically recover the data off the drive plates. It's expensive though.

I used a place in Houston that I would recommend. Cost about $800 when all was said and done.

Depending on the value of the data, there are companies that will physically recover the data off the drive plates. It's expensive though.

I used a place in Houston that I would recommend. Cost about $800 when all was said and done.

It has never been cost effective for individuals heck even small companies!!
My mantra has always been backup backup backup!!!!!!

It has never been cost effective for individuals heck even small companies!!
My mantra has always been backup backup backup!!!!!!

This is true, but it was an extreme situation.

And BTW, it's a bad idea to try to fix a bent USB port with scissors while the computer is powered on (not me!!).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom