Extremists Still PO'd over cartoons (1 Viewer)

Kudos to Mr. Westergaard and Mr. Rose. It appears that the Danes have thrown down the gauntlet on this issue.

Or they have a medieval religion that forbids the printing of the image of Mohammed.

Noway I'll remember the source, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that they have actually printed pictures of Mohammed too? The Muslims I mean. I thought I read that they had pictures posted somewhere. :idunno:

849-MuhammadDrawing.gif

Yes well let us not forget the outcry over the naming of a bear, by the muslim children.

Noway I'll remember the source, but I could have sworn I read somewhere that they have actually printed pictures of Mohammed too? The Muslims I mean. I thought I read that they had pictures posted somewhere. :idunno:

I don't think it's ex[pressly forbidden anywhere. But like Christianity there are different interpretations and different sects.

There are a billion muslims. Many of them have forbidden the imgae of Mohammed. I guess it's kind of like all the things in Catholic tradition that are found nowhere in the Bible.

Some muslims do not even want their own picture taken or printed.

I don't think it's ex[pressly forbidden anywhere. But like Christianity there are different interpretations and different sects.

There are a billion muslims. Many of them have forbidden the imgae of Mohammed. I guess it's kind of like all the things in Catholic tradition that are found nowhere in the Bible.

Some muslims do not even want their own picture taken or printed.

Islam has a long and broad tradition of regarding pictures (or statues) of anyone to be idolatry. Doing so of a religious figure like Muhammad would be particularly blasphemous.

I suspect most westernized Muslims, like you would find in the US, dismiss that, but I would wager the overwhelming majority of Muslims in the Middle East/North Africa/Paki/Afghan areas of the world consider it blasphemous and offensive.

Good for the Danes and Mr Westgaard and Mr. Rose for sticking to their guns.

Good for the Danes and Mr Westgaard and Mr. Rose for sticking to their guns.

I'm pretty sure this is less about free speech in principle than it is about getting a dig in at Muslims.

I note that Mr. Rose's newspaper refused to print the holocaust cartoons that ran in the Iranian newspaper last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemming_Rose

Every culture has something that is considered offensive or beyond the pale. If 'freedom of speech' is also freedom to offend then the priniciple should be applied uniformly.

This is going to most likely need a big merge. I looked for the other thread and couldn't find it.

The blasphemous cartoons were printed in 2005 and the controversy arose later. The EE Board thread about the specific topic is pre-September 2006 and archived. Fire away! :9:

This is sort of like desecrating the flag. Some people can't separate a symbol from what it stands for.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom