Eye of the Storm-The 2005 LSU Tiger Football Season (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Behind enenmy lines in Atlanta via New Orleans &am
Eye of the Storm-The 2005 LSU Tigers Football season is a must see for every true college football fan. But especially for LSU fans. It's almost 45 minutes long but it's worth it.

GEAUX TIGERS!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pkhG9FLFiEw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pkhG9FLFiEw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I didnt watch it but could you give a recap? What is it about. How did LSU suffer ? They played all but one game at home.

I didnt watch it but could you give a recap? What is it about. How did LSU suffer ? They played all but one game at home.

Yes. But you also hear comments from Skip Bertman, James Carville , Les Miles, Justin Vincent, Early Doucett, Matt Flynn, and others. The film is mostly about the aftermath of Katrina and how it effected LSU's campus and the rest of the 2005 football season. But what makes this film different is you hear it from the players and coaches from points of view. From the fans point of view, Mike Serio of Serio's Po-Boys Restaurant in New Orleans talked about how he lost everything he owned in the storm except for his LSU Season Tickes, his parking pass and three LSU t-shirts. Serio goes on to say, " Football in the south is a religion. It's not a extracurricular activity." They show a lot of behind the scenes and locker room footage that I have never seen before. It's really worth checking out.

Yes. But you also hear comments from Skip Bertman, James Carville , Les Miles, Justin Vincent, Early Doucett, Matt Flynn, and others. The film is mostly about the aftermath of Katrina and how it effected LSU's campus and the rest of the 2005 football season. But what makes this film different is you hear it from the players and coaches from points of view. From the fans point of view, Mike Serio of Serio's Po-Boys Restaurant in New Orleans talked about how he lost everything he owned in the storm except for his LSU Season Tickes, his parking pass and three LSU t-shirts. Serio goes on to say, " Football in the south is a religion. It's not a extracurricular activity." They show a lot of behind the scenes and locker room footage that I have never seen before. It's really worth checking out.

Thats cool then. I just dont get it sometimes during LSU coverage they talk about how they had to deal with Katrina. Yes some players came from the NO area im sure but they make it out to be like they were in a situation that Tulane was in or something. Thanks for the recap

I only had time to watch about half of it, but I echo saintanism's post above. It's more about the behind-the-scenes effects Katrina had on the season, the fans, and the campus. The clip of the team in the locker room, with JaMarcus and Miles singing the fight song with the rest of the team, is great stuff. I plan to watch the rest as soon as I have time! :)

Thats cool then. I just dont get it sometimes during LSU coverage they talk about how they had to deal with Katrina. Yes some players came from the NO area im sure but they make it out to be like they were in a situation that Tulane was in or something. Thanks for the recap

True. There are many LSU players that are not from New Orleans or Southern Mississippi. But there wasn't one student from LSU that I know, much less the entire LSU football team, that wasn't effected in one way or another by Katrina. The footage of helicopters taking off every few minutes and Pete Maravich Coliseum being used as a triage building alone documents that well.

Agreed. It was comical to hear the announcers say "The State of Louisiana is rooting for LSU tonight!" during the UT beatdown of LSU.

Huh? Not one person I knew that didn't go to LSU was rooting for LSU or even caring about the game.

But, that is the media these days....pushing and pulling for every bit of over-exaggeration they can.

Agreed. It was comical to hear the announcers say "The State of Louisiana is rooting for LSU tonight!" during the UT beatdown of LSU.

Huh? Not one person I knew that didn't go to LSU was rooting for LSU or even caring about the game.

But, that is the media these days....pushing and pulling for every bit of over-exaggeration they can.

Will, Louisiana does extend well north of I-10, you know. It does not end at the Orleans and Jefferson Parish lines. I don't know about you and the people that you know. But everyone I know from Louisiana was pulling for LSU to win against UT. Like or not, LSU is Louisiana's flagship university and college football team.

Like or not, LSU is Louisiana's flagship university and college football team.

Obviously nobody is arguing that point.

But it's comical to hear some LSU fans act as if they were saving the state by playing that football game that night. Real comical.

People affected by Katrina THAT DIDN'T GO TO LSU OR WERE FANS PREVIOUSLY OF KATRINA did not care about the game. They weren't sitting by their TV's saying "Man, my house is destroyed and my car is gone but damn I hope LSU wins to cheer me up!"

Fact is, most of the state is not full of LSU fans. If you don't believe that, it may be time to branch outside of Baton Rouge.

But it's comical to hear some LSU fans act as if they were saving the state by playing that football game that night. Real comical.

People affected by Katrina THAT DIDN'T GO TO LSU OR WERE FANS PREVIOUSLY OF KATRINA did not care about the game. They weren't sitting by their TV's saying "Man, my house is destroyed and my car is gone but damn I hope LSU wins to cheer me up!"

Fact is, most of the state is not full of LSU fans. If you don't believe that, it may be time to branch outside of Baton Rouge.

There's plenty of people with a degree from other Louisiana college who are fans of ALL Louisiana sports. Watching LSU DID pump up a great deal of people, since it was right after the hurricane, but so would the Saints, Hornets, La Tech, Tulane, or Southern if they were to play a game that same night. I know you realize this, but it's all about a sense of normalcy after everything the state went through prior to that game. Doesn't hurt that it was a national televised game between two SEC contenders either.

Nobody claims that LSU "saved the state" by playing or that LSU made anyone forget that their homes were destroyed. But, being the flagship school of the state, most of the students and alumni come from, and live in, Louisiana. So, it's not hard to imagine that a lot of people in the affected areas have ties to LSU as either students, alumni, or just longtime fans. In that case, watching them play in 2005 was a pleasant diversion...it didn't restore any losses that they suffered but, much like watching a movie, it allowed a nice escape for a certain period of time. It was a sense of normalcy that people craved and LSU provided it in 2005. The Saints were in another state and most of the other programs were in a serious state of disarray.

Sure, the media may have engaged in some hyperbole but they did the same thing for the Saints in 2006 and nobody objected (if you're aware of one person whose house magically repaired itself after the Falcons game, feel free to correct me). The difference was that in 2005, the Saints owner was in the process of trying to skip town and the team itself was having a horrible year so, in that respect, LSU was the only true national representative of successful Louisiana football. The team played well (and a lot of the players took on family members as evacuees) and the team really made an effort to represent the state and do a lot of charitable things for people that really needed it.

It's silly to say that the team didn't make a positive impact on the psyche of some of the state's residents.

Watching LSU DID pump up a great deal of people, since it was right after the hurricane, but so would the Saints, Hornets, La Tech, Tulane, or Southern if they were to play a game that same night. I know you realize this, but it's all about a sense of normalcy after everything the state went through prior to that game. Doesn't hurt that it was a national televised game between two SEC contenders either.

I agree, it did pump up many people...those that were LSU fans, LSU graduates, and even those that pay attention to LSU football.

But, those 3 groups of people don't make up a majority of this state.

So, when ESPN goes on the air and states that entire State is rooting for them....it makes me want to roll my eyes and chuckle a little.

I agree, it did pump up many people...those that were LSU fans, LSU graduates, and even those that pay attention to LSU football.

But, those 3 groups of people don't make up a majority of this state.

So, when ESPN goes on the air and states that entire State is rooting for them....it makes me want to roll my eyes and chuckle a little.

I'm sure many football fans in general were ready to watch the game, just to take their mind off of Katrina for a few hours. I'm a big LSU fan, but ULM could have been playing that night and I would have been excited.

ESPN? Don't take them seriously. Have you listened to the group of "analysts" they have this season? They'll say either whatever sounds best or gets the biggest response.

Are you SURE you are from Louisiana, Will? I have lived in almost every area of Louisiana at one time or another in my life, with maybe the exception of the Monroe area. Without any doubt in my mind, I can say that LSU sports are FAR more important than any other college in the state. I know I might get raked over the coals for saying this, but LSU is even more popular than the Saints football in Louisiana as a whole. It's the truth. I mean how many people in Louisiana do you see with USL, Tulane, La Tech, Nicholls State or Northwestern State stickers on car windows compared to LSU? How many other stadiums in Louisiana rutinely pack 93,000 fans into thier stadiums other than LSU. Or for that matter how many others are just rutinely pack. Only LSU holds that distinction. I just think you are just plain wrong in your assessment. So, for those from Louisiana who don't care for LSU, that's your choice. But make no mistake. LSU football is Louisiana!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom