F.C.C. about to raise TV guidelines? More Sex and Profanity! (1 Viewer)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I can see if you have children you maybe against this,

FCC proposing to allow more sex and profanity during kids

f you thought that our television channels were already saturated with enough sex, vulgarity and profanity, you may want to brace yourself – the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is proposing changes to its guidelines that would allow more racy content to infiltrate the small screen during hours when kids could tune in. A public notice posted on the regulatory agency’s website last month said that FCC is launching a review that may end the prohibition of expletives and certain images of nudity on television. The FCC had first given the public until May 20 to weigh in on the hot-button issue, but that deadline was recently extended to June 19.
Thoughts?

Also in article,

“Prime time television will start looking more like cable television in terms of language and content,” John Conway, entertainment attorney and CEO of Astonish Media Group, told FOX 411’s Pop Tarts column. “I’m sure networks will test limits for ratings as they do now, but I think the American public will keep the worst outrages in check as they do now.”

In a way, let's be honest about this. Cable has about 50% of the market. Not sure about Direct TV and Dish.

So, what this is really about is the TV networks trying to be able to compete with shows like Game of Thrones, Sopranos (back in the day), True Blood, etc. They are probably pushing this so they can compete better with HBO and other prime time shows (or weekend shows).

In a way, let's be honest about this. Cable has about 50% of the market. Not sure about Direct TV and Dish.

So, what this is really about is the TV networks trying to be able to compete with shows like Game of Thrones, Sopranos (back in the day), True Blood, etc. They are probably pushing this so they can compete better with HBO and other prime time shows (or weekend shows).

I don't even know how the breakdowns work. I mean AMC has had some of the better series of late and they are cable but have to keep it closer to PG than premium channels like HBO and Showtime. Do I have that right? It just seems to me like the primary factor in the competition is budget and quality of staff (which should be the lumped with budget if you have an eye for talent.)

it's certainly no worse than what you would hear from zeetes on Xbox Live

I don't even know how the breakdowns work. I mean AMC has had some of the better series of late and they are cable but have to keep it closer to PG than premium channels like HBO and Showtime. Do I have that right? It just seems to me like the primary factor in the competition is budget and quality of staff (which should be the lumped with budget if you have an eye for talent.)

They don't have to keep it closer to PG, they can do whatever they want on any cable channel, they choose not to, have to keep advertisers happy.

The fact that by and large we're more restricted than most countries in this arena is pretty surprising. This is good for all those people saying they don't want the government telling us what to do. I approve. Because, honestly, who cares? I didn't get to watch a whole lot of tv when I was a kid because I parents said not to and I didn't. Be more active and responsible parents. There's plenty of safe guards in place to help you keep your kids from easily getting access to things you don't want them to see.

There are shows for adults and shows for kids. I have kids. Still love Sons of Anarchy and Game of Thrones. Just don't watch them with kids in the room. Simple.

The FCC isn't responisble from preventing children from seeing sex, profanity or violence on tv. thats a parents job.

and lets be honest here, if a kid wants to see boobs, all they need is an ipod.

the ban on nudity on broadcast tv is completely out dated when you can get it any time on cable tv or the internet.

I'd love to see a nipple on NBC.

Wasn't that a Seinfeld episode?

These rules seem a bit silly now. Last night I started watching the critically-acclaimed Danish series Borgen on a local public TV station, and was annoyed to see that the subtitles had been censored to blank out occasional expletives in the dialogue. In other words, it's OK to curse in Danish but not to translate it into English.

The FCC isn't responisble from preventing children from seeing sex, profanity or violence on tv. thats a parents job.

and lets be honest here, if a kid wants to see boobs, all they need is an ipod.

the ban on nudity on broadcast tv is completely out dated when you can get it any time on cable tv or the internet.

Yet many fail, just as they think its the schools job to babysit and teach their children about God!
Just as its not the teachers job to preach political ideaology or morals!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom