FA Tight Ends (1 Viewer)

It is hyperbole, agreed. I'm caught up on the term unstoppable when it's used as a (deeply flawed) rationale for over investing scant resource in the latest shiny toy.
I think our resources are fine in free agency. It's just the draft that we are lacking.

I think our resources are fine in free agency. It's just the draft that we are lacking.
Fair point on which to disagree slightly. I think we're at the stage of the off-season where every free agent looks affordable through rose tinted specs.

Fast forward to the free agency period after all the tagging and renewed contracts diminishes the number of fish in the pond and drives their market costs up. Then things won't look so affordable.

Loomis and co will hopefully scrimp to spend our pennies wisely. Just don't expect the prime cuts of FA beef...

Sign Jesse James
  • TE Jesse James, Pittsburgh Steelers. At time of writing, James ranks second among pending free agents in receiving yards (379), fifth in catches (26), and seventh in total snaps played (437). That looks like a player ready to break out, and at 25 years old he’s in position to do it. He’s below Vance McDonald on the depth chart (444 yards, 36 catches, just 384 snaps due to injury), who signed a contract through the 2021 season. It probably won’t take a big contract offer to get James out of Pittsburgh for a bigger role with the Saints.
Saints 2019 free agency preview: TE Jesse James

At James' lower cost, you could also sign someone like Adam Humphries
  • WR Adam Humphries, Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Listed at 5'11 and 195 pounds, Adam Humphries has the ideal size for today’s slot receiver in the NFL…Watching him on tape, he shows great quickness horizontally and excels in the underneath routes. In particular, the Bucs used him often on the shallow cross where he had a knack for finding holes in zones…Humphries could aid the Saints offense in that he runs a lot of high percentage routes that wouldn’t require difficult throws from Drew Brees. He also adds value with his yards-after-catch ability. That dimension has been missing in this offense since the days of Lance Moore and Willie Snead. Humphries could be an option to bring that back. https://saintswire.usatoday.com/201...r-mark-ingram-kareem-hunt-kansas-city-chiefs/
Saints potential free agent targets: WR Adam Humphries

What I find disheartening--and maybe this belongs in another thread--is that the Saints' biggest needs are at positions where rookies rarely make an impact, namely TE and DT. They almost need to target free agents in both areas. Worse yet, there aren't available free agents at either position that seem like great choices. And then, they don't have any draft picks until the second round. And they don't have a lot of cap space. :rant:

If they can somehow fill those needs in free agency, then they can target best player available in the draft at some position that is deep. In my view every one of their own free agents except Crawley should be re-signed, with Lutz and, yes, Ingram as top priorities. Before Rankins was hurt, I would have been willing to let Davison go but not any more. It really stinks that Rankins may be lost for a long time and that Onyemata decided to be stupid. Suddenly, a hole was created where there didn't use to be one.

I'll stop the rambling now. The cappuccino got to me.

Fair point on which to disagree slightly. I think we're at the stage of the off-season where every free agent looks affordable through rose tinted specs.

Fast forward to the free agency period after all the tagging and renewed contracts diminishes the number of fish in the pond and drives their market costs up. Then things won't look so affordable.

Loomis and co will hopefully scrimp to spend our pennies wisely. Just don't expect the prime cuts of FA beef...
I agree, but the position helps. We know top TEs don't get paid like top WRs. But for what this team needs, we could get similar production for half the cost. The only thing that would price him out of our range is if he ends up getting a record contract for the position, IMO.

Jimmy Graham is the highest paid right now at $10M/year. For what Cook could provide, even that could end up being a steal based strictly on production. I'd pay any skill position player $10M for 1000 receiving yards.

I agree, but the position helps. We know top TEs don't get paid like top WRs. But for what this team needs, we could get similar production for half the cost. The only thing that would price him out of our range is if he ends up getting a record contract for the position, IMO.

Jimmy Graham is the highest paid right now at $10M/year. For what Cook could provide, even that could end up being a steal based strictly on production. I'd pay any skill position player $10M for 1000 receiving yards.
That's not the measuring stick I'd use for $10m a year, or 2015 Willie Snead might be on the phone looking for some cash ;)

I would imagine Seals-Jones sticks with Arizona. Seems like a guy Kingsbury can maximize with very little competition. I think this list shows that we need to draft a TE, if we’re wanting a true long term option.

I would imagine Seals-Jones sticks with Arizona. Seems like a guy Kingsbury can maximize with very little competition. I think this list shows that we need to draft a TE, if we’re wanting a true long term option.

The problem is we need an upgrade for 2019 and most rookie TEs don't contribute at that level. If TE isn't a value position in the 2nd round we could be waiting until the 5th to draft one. I think we need the best vet we can get even if it's a 1-year stop gap.

That's not the measuring stick I'd use for $10m a year, or 2015 Willie Snead might be on the phone looking for some cash ;)
I thought about that while I was typing it. But could Snead come in next year and do it again, or was it more a product of Thomas/Cooks drawing so much attention? If Snead could give us 1000 in 2019, I'd probably say he's worth $10M. But I don't think he would do it.

I don't think Colston ever got 10 million a year, so I'd back off this idea that this is now the going rate for 1,000 yard WR/TE's. Freaks like ODBJ and AB and LF might have pushed that market out of reality, but that's top 3 top 5 money that is out of whack. Middle of the pack isn't 10 million. I didn't see anyone on the list of available TE's that are worth more than 6 million a year, and that's assuming they are going to have career years once they get here.

I don't think Colston ever got 10 million a year, so I'd back off this idea that this is now the going rate for 1,000 yard WR/TE's. Freaks like ODBJ and AB and LF might have pushed that market out of reality, but that's top 3 top 5 money that is out of whack. Middle of the pack isn't 10 million. I didn't see anyone on the list of available TE's that are worth more than 6 million a year, and that's assuming they are going to have career years once they get here.

Colston got close...5yr/40mil...7years ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom