Facebook data provides the most accurate NFL fandom map ever created (merged) (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Facebook Data Provides The Most Accurate NFL Fandom Map Ever Created

original.png

It's long been a dream of mankind to put together a map showing the geographic locations of NFL fanbases. The CommonCensus map tried to do it though polling; we took a crack at one based solely on proximity. But all previous efforts have been self-selecting or otherwise flawed. If only there was a massive database, with precise geographic information, of Americans identifying their favorite teams. This is exactly that. Facebook's Data Science team has combed the more than 35 million users who have "liked" a team's fan page, and put it into graphic form, down to the county level. Sean Taylor, who headed the research and analysis, was kind enough to send along the high-resolution maps. Click the overall fandom map above to enlarge.
Takeaways?
• Alaska is confused.
• New England owns New England, and pockets around the country.
• The Jets have just one county—Nassau County, on the western end of Long Island.
• Florida, home of expats, contains pockets of Giants, Patriots, Steelers, Packers, and Bears fans
• The lightly populated Great Plains and Rocky Mountain regions, far from any team, transition from Vikings fandom in the east to Broncos fandom to—unexpectedly—Cowboys fandom in Idaho, Utah, and Nevada.
• Oakland has impressive penetration on the periphery of 49ers country, even into Nevada and Oregon.

Cool information. There's a chart at the end of the article which shows which teams have common friends and also maps showing how the country rooted through each round of the playoffs.

I was just about to post this.

This about solidifies what we already know....we dominate the Gulf Coast.

Also, notice the one little pocket in Georgia right in Falcons territory. Also looks like, we some hold over from San Antonio.

ANd i am surprised Shreveport held Saints colors.

I was just about to post this.

This about solidifies what we already know....we dominate the Gulf Coast.

Also, notice the one little pocket in Georgia right in Falcons territory. Also looks like, we some hold over from San Antonio.

ANd i am surprised Shreveport held Saints colors.

Really surprised with Tenn. because I know there's a lot of SAINTS fans up there. :aargh:

Hell, more of Florida by area is Saints than Jacksonville. Jets barely get one county.

Idaho knows they aren't part of Texas right?

NM surprises me to. You'd think Denver being closer then Dallas would make a difference.

Very interesting! I'm glad to see us reigning large in North Louisiana over the Cowboys--I think the map would've looked different 10-15 years ago. Never knew we were the top team in Alabama by that large a margin, and never knew we had that much penetration into the Florida panhandle. But I admit, going there every summer, Saints gear is dominant.

There should be a pretty large dot for the Saints fans that make up Manhattan and the other 4 boroughs of NYC.

Now if only they used more colors.. or stripes. hard to see some of them.

The Jets have just one county—Nassau County, on the western end of Long Island.

LOL @ the jets facebook map fail.
rotflmao2.gif

Its funny to see that their are more Steelers fans in the Carolina's than Panthers fans. :hihi:

I agree with Saint Ward, they needs to be stripes or dots on the similar colors. Too much red and blue to distinguish between the teams.

Great post!

But i have my doubts about the Hawaii numbers though. it's just plain wrong as clearly i don't think they split up the counties (islands) properly... there's absolutely no way the entire island chain is steeler country...
most people that move here are from the west coast (CA, OR, WA) and if you go to a bar on sundays it's mostly filled with 49er fans with a small pockets of seahawks... as a whole, it's a gumbo here as people come from all over the place...
with that said, i've not met a single steelers fan after living here for 2 years, so i don't see how they take even one island let alone the entire island chain!

anyway just my two cents...

From my onseervation of this map, most people have mental problems bc of the amount of Dallas grey is see all over the country. Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, Montana, Virginia; What is wrong with y'all? Have you not watched football in the past 18 years to not realize that the cowboys are dingus?

That post can't be correct. All of Northern Louisiana, from Monroe to Shreveport are Cowboys fans! That's what folks right here on this board claims.:rolleyes:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom