Facing another 3-4 defense (1 Viewer)

RazorSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone else considered the possibility that the Steelers will give us the same type of problems as the Ravens, who also run a 3-4? The Ravens D is the only one that has caused our offense considerable problems this season, and we're running into another this weekend. Expect them to use the same type of blitzes the Ravens used to get to Brees and pressure him into mistakes.

Hopefully we learn as much from that game film as the Steelers do, because the Steelers have some ball hawks on that defense, even if they haven't quite lived up to expectations this season.

we need to establish the run against the steelers. that will slow down the blitzing and open up the passing game, which I dont think they can stop anyway.

Anyone else considered the possibility that the Steelers will give us the same type of problems as the Ravens, who also run a 3-4? The Ravens D is the only one that has caused our offense considerable problems this season, and we're running into another this weekend. Expect them to use the same type of blitzes the Ravens used to get to Brees and pressure him into mistakes.

Hopefully we learn as much from that game film as the Steelers do, because the Steelers have some ball hawks on that defense, even if they haven't quite lived up to expectations this season.

Ravens run a 4-3. The only 3-4 defense we have faced this season has been the Cleveland Browns, who we tore up. The Steelers however will be significantly tougher then the Cleveland Browns.

Ravens also didn't blitz nearly as much. The Bucs however did. We ate the Bucs alive. What the Ravens did was crowd the line of scrimmage to stop the run, but drop them back to clog the short passing lanes.

Steelers have also been terrible at getting pressure on the QB this season.

Ravens run a 4-3. The only 3-4 defense we have faced this season has been the Cleveland Browns, who we tore up. The Steelers however will be significantly tougher then the Cleveland Browns.

Ravens also didn't blitz nearly as much. The Bucs however did. We ate the Bucs alive. What the Ravens did was crowd the line of scrimmage to stop the run, but drop them back to clog the short passing lanes.

Steelers have also been terrible at getting pressure on the QB this season.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PIT/5659524

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15434473/

Actually I believe they run 3-4. That's not to say that they don't have some 4-3 alignments, but the 3-4 defense is the reason that RayRay got mad and said he needed a big DT up front to take up blockers IIRC.

I guess we didn't watch the same game week 1. We didn't lay 20 on the hapless Browns, and one of the pick 6's Brees threw was due to blitz pressure by the Ravens.

edit: Here's the quotes I'm citing from the links I posted....

"he Ravens have 19 sacks, most of them by linebackers executing a confusing array of blitzes from a 3-4 defense."

"In 2001, the Pittsburgh Steelers, who had the NFL's top-ranked defense, were the only team in the NFL to employ the 3-4 full time. (The New England Patriots used a hybrid version of the 3-4 on their way to victory in Super Bowl XXXVI.) This season, the Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, and, most notably the Baltimore Ravens are jumping on the 3-4 bandwagon." (article from '03)

Last edited:

Faine eats 3-4 defenses for breakfast. With him calling line protection.........the scheme doesn't worry me a bit. At cleveland he practiced against and played vs more 3-4 teams than the saints have faced over the past 5 years. Pittsburgh the team (backs to the wall) concerns me though.

The Ravens' base defense is a 4-3. They run multiple alignments including 3-4 because of the versatility of Adalius Thomas and Terrell Suggs. They switched back to a 4-3 this past offseason at the behest of Ray Lewis who prefers to work behind two big defensive tackles.

The Steelers are a pure 3-4 defensive team. It will give us some problems with protection, but I think we'll have a better chance of establishing a running game against Pittsburgh than we did against Baltimore.

The Ravens main defense is a 4-3. They do however run 3-4 schemes.

here is their depth chart.... http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/depthChart.jsp

The Ravens switched back from 3-4 to the 4-3 after last season because theit defense wasnt as dominant. And the comments about Ray Lewis is correct about him wanting them to get a big take up space so he can run and make plays. Lewis cant do that in a 3-4 because he has to shed off blockers.

Backing up the guys who are saying the Ravens run a 4-3. They're completely correct. Their two DTs, Ngata and Gregg, are on the field for the vast majority of the snaps.

Faine eats 3-4 defenses for breakfast. With him calling line protection.........the scheme doesn't worry me a bit. At cleveland he practiced against and played vs more 3-4 teams than the saints have faced over the past 5 years. Pittsburgh the team (backs to the wall) concerns me though.

Actually, the Cleveland fans I know said he was very, very weak when you put a good NT right over top of him. They said they loved his intelligence, quickness and technique, but a good NT, specifically Casey Hampton, will consistently push him right back into the QB.

I would assume they know, they did watch him play the Steelers twice a year.

The Saints problem against the Ravens was not because of the type defense they ran, it was a lack of focus coming off the bye week. I'm willing to bet the Saints would beat the Ravens this week, if we were to play them

Well, I wasn't adamant in my stance on the 3-4 because I wasn't sure. I haven't watched them closely this year, and I was 'housed after about 5 minutes of the Ravens vs Saints game.

Obviously they, along with the Falcons and Browns, do run some 3-4 alignments. We have not faired well offensively against any of those teams (until the Ravens let up).

Obviously they, along with the Falcons and Browns, do run some 3-4 alignments. We have not faired well offensively against any of those teams (until the Ravens let up).
I could've sworn we blew out the Falcons and were essentially running the clock out on them the entire second half. Weird.

The Ravens run a 4-3... they had switched to a 3-4, but I believe switched back last season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom