Fair Tax (1 Viewer)

V Chip

Truth Addict (aww ^&%$ I got a head rush)
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Close enough to ATL to smell the stink of Falcons
I see a lot of people here pushing the Fair Tax, and haven't seen (here at least) a lot of discussion about it. So I want to know -- those who support it, why do you support it? Those who are against it, why do you disagree? Those who are on the fence, does your butt hurt? :hihi:

Seriously, I just hadn't seen much discussion on it -- even went back and did searches and didn't see much posted about it.

http://www.fairtax.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairTax

I support the elimination of the income tax, replaced by a sales tax. I believe the income tax to be too intrusive. The government has no business knowing what I make a year and where my money is kept. Plus, people have to gather up as much documentation at the end of every year to try and prove that they don't owe any more tax, or that they paid too much.

With the sales tax, you pay as you go. There isn't a shock come April that you owe more money in taxes. Plus, I would imagine that the federal government could greatly reduce the size of the IRS. You wouldn't completely eliminate it, but you wouldn't need it to be the size it is today. Most (if not all) of the states have a sales tax that they collect. Let the states collect the federal sales tax at the same time and forward it on. I would think that would be the most efficient and least intrusive manner to collect taxes.

The plan would work great.Everyone would pay their fair share.The rich spend more and would be taxed more.It even would hit the people who obtain their income illegally(i.e.drug dealers).Also I would have more money in my pocket because the govt is not taxing the heck out of my paycheck.So to answer your question,I'm for it.

because some people dont spend money which would hinder "tax" revenue - i wouldnt spend more money than i do now i would just save more

We will never see a "fair tax" system. The government cannot afford it. The only solution is to find a taxing system where the fed is still capable of collecting what it rakes in now.....good luck with that!

I support the elimination of the income tax, replaced by a sales tax. I believe the income tax to be too intrusive. The government has no business knowing what I make a year and where my money is kept. Plus, people have to gather up as much documentation at the end of every year to try and prove that they don't owe any more tax, or that they paid too much.

With the sales tax, you pay as you go. There isn't a shock come April that you owe more money in taxes. Plus, I would imagine that the federal government could greatly reduce the size of the IRS. You wouldn't completely eliminate it, but you wouldn't need it to be the size it is today. Most (if not all) of the states have a sales tax that they collect. Let the states collect the federal sales tax at the same time and forward it on. I would think that would be the most efficient and least intrusive manner to collect taxes.
While we're at it, let's make it 10 times more difficult to sue people. I'll see you in the unemployment line. :mwink:

I hate the idea of simplifying the tax code. In fact, I think it should be published in Chinese to make it even more difficult to understand.

i agree the current tax codes and process is too involved - but i dnt see any major changes coming our way anytime soon

While we're at it, let's make it 10 times more difficult to sue people. I'll see you in the unemployment line. :mwink:

I hate the idea of simplifying the tax code. In fact, I think it should be published in Chinese to make it even more difficult to understand.

Heck, they've already done that here in Texas. I know attorneys that have been out of work for over a year, and the market sucks. It's about time we start making accountants targets on the "let's legislate their income away" bandwagon.

The only problem with a national sales tax is that it opens up a black market for stolen goods and shady merchants. I suspect your savings in IRS agents just got converted to more gun toting agents kicking in doors and searching private residences. Is that a better system? :shrug:

national sales tax is a tax on the poor...
just do a damn flat tax and call it a day...

national sales tax is a tax on the poor...
just do a damn flat tax and call it a day...

Huckabee's plan involved some sort of rebate based on income or something like that - he said the poor would reap the greatest benefit

The only problem with a national sales tax is that it opens up a black market for stolen goods and shady merchants. I suspect your savings in IRS agents just got converted to more gun toting agents kicking in doors and searching private residences. Is that a better system? :shrug:

First, that is quite a leap you have made there, and it is along the lines of scare tactics. If what you say were true, wouldn't we already be experiencing this with the state taxing authorities enforcing their sales taxes? :dunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom