Falcons Analysis By Former Former Atlanta Coach (1 Viewer)

Thread title is misleading af.
The title made me think the guy Swimmer spoke to in the airport was a former Falcons coach. Like he ran into Leeman Bennet or Jerry Glanville or something.

The Buffalo Bills made four (4) straight appearances to the Super Bowl... a feat that has not been matched by any other team.

After each SB loss, the team regrouped and purposed to get back to the Big Dance the following season.

Atlanta didn't do that. Instead, they adopted the asinine motto of: "Embrace the Suck," and it snowballed negatively each year since.

...think about that.

:gosaints:
My buddy Glenn payed for all 4. You should hear the stuff he says about those years! He also went to the Super Bowl w/the Giants. The only guy in NFL history to lose 5 SuperBowls.

The title made me think the guy Swimmer spoke to in the airport was a former Falcons coach. Like he ran into Leeman Bennet or Jerry Glanville or something.

Exactly. Like, I get that the dude has some kind of coaching background so he probably knows more about football than some dummy like me but he's still light years away from being any kind of sage on the matter just cuz he was an OC in the same geographic area as the Falcons.

My buddy Glenn payed for all 4. You should hear the stuff he says about those years! He also went to the Super Bowl w/the Giants. The only guy in NFL history to lose 5 SuperBowls.

Man, I don't know what's worse, having to endure that kind of catastrophic letdown or enduring the misery of going an entire NFL career without ever making the playoffs. Sure, it's exciting to play deep into the playoffs for half of your NFL career but, man, imagine taking the abuse of 19 extra winter games against playoff-caliber competition over the course of your career and the majority of those were at Rich Stadium/Orchard Park/whatever the hell they were calling that place in any given season.

This is from the DA article but is effectively what the Falcons will be faced with outside of the draft picks. Actually doesn't matter what they do I think they are destined to lose for at least another year but tearing it down now would probably make it worse. Keeping Quinn is good for them and good for us but jettisoning him would be meh for them and awesome for us.

Looking back, it is not a stretch to say that Allen was destined for failure with the Raiders. He was a 39-year-old first-year head coach with a first-year general manager and a first-year owner in Mark Davis, who had taken over the previous October following the death of his father, NFL legend Al Davis. The team was $31 million over the salary cap, did not have a draft choice until the third round and would carry some $50 million in dead money against the salary cap that year. Worse, it was attempting to walk the very fine line between rebuilding while trying to win.

This is from the DA article but is effectively what the Falcons will be faced with outside of the draft picks. Actually doesn't matter what they do I think they are destined to lose for at least another year but tearing it down now would probably make it worse. Keeping Quinn is good for them and good for us but jettisoning him would be meh for them and awesome for us.

Looking back, it is not a stretch to say that Allen was destined for failure with the Raiders. He was a 39-year-old first-year head coach with a first-year general manager and a first-year owner in Mark Davis, who had taken over the previous October following the death of his father, NFL legend Al Davis. The team was $31 million over the salary cap, did not have a draft choice until the third round and would carry some $50 million in dead money against the salary cap that year. Worse, it was attempting to walk the very fine line between rebuilding while trying to win.
Yeah, they are in a very bad way with the salary cap. A prospective new coach would have seriously consider passing on that situation because they are a couple of seasons away from having some room to maneuver/rebuild.

Except to church, I pretty much wear Saints colors every place I go. As you Who Dats know, when another Who Dat sees you, regardless of what planet you are on, and often opposing fans, they start-up conversations. You always here the 1st thing they say, "Who Dat!" When I get someone who seems to know football, I try to get them talking and sharing their opinions.
I often talk about places I've been Who Dat'd, but I remember one year we were coming home on a Sunday evening from D.C. I don't remember what game it was or what year it was but it was a bad loss day. As it was a flight to NOLA, of course, there were several other people rocking their gameday gear for the trip home. We would catch each other's eye and just sort of tacitly agree that no out of town "Who dats!" would be exchanged that day.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom