Falcons at Pats 2017 season opener? (1 Viewer)

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The Super Bowl hangover starts early next season for the Birds, 0-1 before the season even starts.

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
I was just about to create this exact thread.

I think after this epic SB, it pretty much has to be.

RaginSaint93

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
We might have to play the Falcons at their new stadium for Week 2 either a Sunday or Monday Night game oh how awesome it would be if we could hand them their first loss in that stadium

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I wish they stop doing Superbowl Rematches for season openers...

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We might have to play the Falcons at their new stadium for Week 2 either a Sunday or Monday Night game oh how awesome it would be if we could hand them their first loss in that stadium
This is what I think us most likely. The Saints open in week 1 at Atlanta on SNF.

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
NFL.com agrees:

Patriots-Falcons rematch should open 2017 season - NFL.com

The Pats have kicked off an NFL season before, and they've done it big. Expect more jubilation at Gillette Stadium after a ridiculous Super Bowl win came on the heels of the Deflategate scandal. (The prospect of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell returning to Foxborough will no doubt be a summer-long storyline.)

What team might the dynastic Patriots open against after their latest Super Bowl victory?

New England's home opponents in 2017 are the Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets and San Diego Chargers.
After one of the most thrilling Super Bowl games in NFL history, we should get back-to-back NFL Kickoff rematch games. . . . The #Revenge factor for Atlanta will provide offseason narratives to fill the hours and hours of programming. . . . Opening the season with a rematch allows TV networks to put the Super Bowl LI highlights on loop all summer. The NFL loves marketing its biggest event during the down months.

This is the only realistic option for NFL Kickoff. Book your hotels now.

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
judging by the list of their home opponents. i'd say falcons for sure with the chiefs a long second.

Texans yawn
Panthers yawn
Falcons
Chargers yawn
Chiefs
Bills yawn
Dolphins yawn
Jets yawn

Icon

Veteran
Reaction score
I wish they stop doing Superbowl Rematches for season openers...
Why?

As someone else pointed out.....they happen so infrequently, because it already requires a perfect storm of events for it to line up where it CAN happen. First, we know the SB winner has to be the home team for the season opener (except for that weird conflict in Baltimore some years back). And we know certain AFC divisions only play certain NFC divisions every 4 years. On top of that, the home/away determintation in those AFC/NFC matchups are based on who the home team was the previous matchup from 4 years ago.

So yeah, we just so happen to have a scenario in which Atlanta was scheduled to go to New England in 2017, regardless of what happened in this game. Since NE won.....why WOULDN'T that be the matchup? If Atlanta had won, you couldn't have had the SB rematch.....it would have had to be one of their home-game opponents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)