Falcons expected to hire Fontenot (1 Viewer)

I honestly don’t know much about him since he receives no credit as Ireland is the guy who does. What exactly does Terry do?

He'd be responsible free agents. Big ones like Demario Davis. But then also the small ones that make an impact like Ty Montgomery and James Hurst. Also trades like Kwon Alexander. If I had to lose one I'd rather lose the pro guy than the draft guy. Plus at least we get comp picks. But I'm also afraid of him raiding our staff and we lose a lot more than just him.

And promote Khai to Asst GM

They do have absolutely two different jobs.

Fontenont is the head of pro scouting.

Khai handles the cap.

If we are promoting from within, Justin Matthews, currently the Pro-Scouting Coordinator, is the logical person to take Fontenot's job.

BTW, it is not difficult for Ireland to get a promotion without making big moves.

Mickey Loomis is currently Executive VicePresident / General Manager. Loomis is part of the Saints Senior Executive group.

I think that giving Ireland the General Manager position make the person replacing Fontenot to work under him, that will be enough.

Another way to promote him is to make him part of that Senior Executive Group.

Frankly, it will be more a change of titles and salary for Ireland. The way things are done will stay more or less the same.

Great for him and good for us too (comp picks). I just hope we can retain/promote Ireland and that Fontenot does not take too many good people along with him to ATL.

If we lose Fontenot...I trust Ireland and Loomis to find the best replacement available.

This... all day.

In a manual transmission car:

Fontenot is the starter
Jeff Ireland is the distributor

It would be a bit tough to get going without the starter, but with a good push you should get the engine running. Overall, you should be OK.

Without the distributor, you’re not going anywhere.

Ireland is the more valuable component, IMO.

:gosaints:

Last edited:
As I wrote earlier, I think Ireland can be promoted, and Fontenot be replaced internally.

The biggest problem may be that Fontenot will pick the new coach for the Atlanta Falcons, and he may not only pick one of our coaches, then can also take some of our coaches for either offensive and defensive coordinators.

This is the big deal we may be facing.

It hurts to lose talent but the Saints much like the Patriots and Alabama have established a program. The greatest facet of this of this is that talent comes to you. Plus 2 3rd rounders thats great value and will help keep this team going.

He'd be responsible free agents. Big ones like Demario Davis. But then also the small ones that make an impact like Ty Montgomery and James Hurst. Also trades like Kwon Alexander. If I had to lose one I'd rather lose the pro guy than the draft guy. Plus at least we get comp picks. But I'm also afraid of him raiding our staff and we lose a lot more than just him.
I have no problem with him raiding the staff, he just can’t take the recipe for the secret sauce.

I hope the he gets the job. Not because I want him to leave, but with all the outgoing talent on this team we could certainly use the draft picks.
For any prospective up-and-coming NFL FO team executive, these are the sort of promotions that most work so tirelessly, ardously scouting, researching draft classes, examine potential FA pickups based on urgent necessity, or finding possible replacements for position players projected to retire(like Drew), leave due to cap restrictions or finding maybe better, FA's who won't break the bank and will have a longer shelf life.

These sorts of promotions, for them, are the absolute dream jobs. A sort of culmination for all those years of tireless, hard work, late nights, sacrificing so much time away from their families. Now, would I wish Fontenot had taken a similar job with lets say 49ers, ex-Redskins, Jags instead of our longtime, oldest, most hated archrival? Perhaps. But my own dislike or hatred for Atlanta, centered around my own deeply instinctive views as a Saints fan shouldn't warrant him not accepting this.

Because there are so many skilled, highly intelligent junior-level assistant GM's, NFL teams' directors of player personnel, communications directors, heads of scouting that work their arses off for years, toiling away tirelessly to the point of mental and physical fatigue that never get interviewed for higher promotions, much less granted the privilege of being hired the day-to-day aspects of running a NFL franchise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom