Falcons have 2nd most dead money in NFL over past two seasons (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
The Falcons have $45 million in dead money over the past two seasons, the second most in the NFL over that time. Only a few teams have over $35 million in dead money in the past two years.

The Saints have over $75 million in dead money, blowing any other team out the water.

Many point to 2017 as the season in which we will finally get relief. However, we already lead the league in dead money for 2017 as well.

There is also a very strong correlation between dead money and success. Here are the teams that had over $20 million in dead money last season.

Niners
Falcons
Saints
Bucs
Ravens
Lions
Bears
Dolphins
Chiefs

Of those teams, only the Chiefs had a winning record.

To try and put some things in perspective here is the dead cap for some teams over the last two seasons.
Saints- $75 million
Bengals- $4 million
Packers- $6 million
Broncos- $14 million

You could literally field and entire starting defensive unit better than what we have for the amount of dead money in place each of the past two seasons.

It's enough money to have covered the salaries of JJ Watt, Von Miller, Josh Norman and Luke Kuechly the past two seasons.

How can this possibly be explained other than bad cap management by the FO?

Teams give out bad contracts all the time and have to cut players, but those contracts cannot be as onerous as the long-term contracts we give to under-performing players, or else we would have some legitimate rivals in dead money.

If you're going to mortgage your future in the way you structure contracts, you basically need perfection in your personnel moves to succeed in creating a competitive roster. Somehow, we have failed miserably on both fronts, and have a perennially bad defense and a crippled cap situation to show for it.

It's enough money to have covered the salaries of JJ Watt, Von Miller, Josh Norman and Luke Kuechly the past two seasons.

If you wonder why we are bottom of the barrel year in and year out on defense, there's your answer.

Any player at any time can make a bad decision leading to their release. You can't blame the team for all of them, it's kind of unpredictable.

With that said, there are 31 other teams. When you go out and damn near double the 2nd worst team there are far more problems than a few random players getting in trouble putting a team in a bad cap situation.

It's not that unusual for teams to hit the $20-$25 million mark in dead money for a season because they are rebuilding or have one a big time player get a really bad injury or retire. The Niners dealt with that last year, the Lions are dealing with the Johnson retirement this year. **** happens. But to go out and lead the league in dead money for two consecutive years is really kind of unheard of. The Falcons are one of the very few teams that had over $20 million in dead space in consecutive seasons. The Saints went out and set a high water mark. No team has ever hit $75 million or even close to it in a two season stretch.

Any player at any time can make a bad decision leading to their release. You can't blame the team for all of them, it's kind of unpredictable.

With that said, there are 31 other teams. When you go out and damn near double the 2nd worst team there are far more problems than a few random players getting in trouble putting a team in a bad cap situation.

It's not that unusual for teams to hit the $20-$25 million mark in dead money for a season because they are rebuilding or have one a big time player get a really bad injury or retire. The Niners dealt with that last year, the Lions are dealing with the Johnson retirement this year. **** happens. But to go out and lead the league in dead money for two consecutive years is really kind of unheard of. The Falcons are one of the very few teams that had over $20 million in dead space in consecutive seasons. The Saints went out and set a high water mark. No team has ever hit $75 million or even close to it in a two season stretch.

When it keeps happening over and over combined with putrid drafting I have no problem blaming it on the organization. No one is forcing them to offer these horrible contracts. Much like Payton's play calling over the last few years, they've gotten cute with handling personnel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They spend irresponsibly. When we spent all the money on Byrd, it was a luxury spend. Safety was not our biggest need at the time and we had little cap room. When we signed Spiller, we certainly did not need a RB and it was a luxury spend. It is almost like impulse buying and we pay for it later.

When Reggie Mckenzie and Dennis Allen took over the Raiders they were in a similar situation from the terrible contracts Al Davis handed over to players before he passed away. I believe they had 50 million of dead money in 2012 or 2013.

When Reggie Mckenzie and Dennis Allen took over the Raiders they were in a similar situation from the terrible contracts Al Davis handed over to players before he passed away. I believe they had 50 million of dead money in 2012 or 2013.

They had $43 million in dead money but they took all their lumps in one year, not spread over 3 seasons.

They had $43 million in dead money but they took all their lumps in one year, not spread over 3 seasons.

So what your saying is that we are worse than the Raiders when Al Davis was in charge in his senile days. Great.

So what your saying is that we are worse than the Raiders when Al Davis was in charge in his senile days. Great.

No, the Raiders didn't have Brees.

I am saying our cap situation has been mishandled as badly as I've seen in professional sports. Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones are laughing at us, senile Al Davis rolled over in his grave to give us two thumbs up.

The Falcons have $45 million in dead money over the past two seasons, the second most in the NFL over that time. Only a few teams have over $35 million in dead money in the past two years.

The Saints have over $75 million in dead money, blowing any other team out the water.

Did you compile this info, or can you link article?

I'd like to quote on FB and give proper credit. Thanks.

Many point to 2017 as the season in which we will finally get relief. However, we already lead the league in dead money for 2017 as well.

Son of a....

They spend irresponsibly. When we spent all the money on Byrd, it was a luxury spend. Safety was not our biggest need at the time and we had little cap room. When we signed Spiller, we certainly did not need a RB and it was a luxury spend. It is almost like impulse buying and we pay for it later.

Byrd was the only major mistake I see the team making, the others have all been necessity expenditures.

The reality is, Jenkins was on the wrong end of season ending plays in 2010, 2011 and 2013. Everyone on this board wanted him gone. When one of the best FA safeties in the league became available it was a move that you had to make.

Hindsight, we got rid of our leader on defense and got someone who had no intention of sacrificing himself for his team.

Our front office did everything they could to put big name players in key positions for us to win. They just didn't work out.

It's always a gamble.

I completely disagree about Safety. We were in major need of upgrading our Secondary and we were desperate for turnovers. Byrd was a turnover machine in Buffalo. How that got screwed up? I have no idea. I still have hope that we turn that on, but we'll see.

I was thinking about teams with long term coaches/stability and turnover of players. I was shocked to see how much turnover the Patriots have. The major difference, is that most of the time, they cut bait on cheap contracts or guys about to make a big splash they don't think are worth it. They add a bunch of low risk Vets and hope their draft gets them their stars.

Part of our issue has been the revolving door at Defensive Coordinator. We've had to overhaul more guys who were a fit for one thing and not another. Now, we could argue that great coaches fit their scheme around the talent they have vs trying to just find what works for them.

I don't know how Payton is on scheme vs maximizing talent. He does often talk about vision for a player. Now, does the vision fit their actual skills?

Seemingly we can't just plug in anyone at WR, RB or OL, it takes certain skills, talent, availability.

I just wonder what the vision is for the defense. Sure, losing your best CB for half of a game (and now at least 6 more weeks) messes up your plan, but how flexible is the plan/vision?

I guess we'll see.

No, the Raiders didn't have Brees.

I am saying our cap situation has been mishandled as badly as I've seen in professional sports. Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones are laughing at us, senile Al Davis rolled over in his grave to give us two thumbs up.

Its quite comical really. You can start tallying up the dead money for next year as well as we will probably lead the league in that category again. Byrd and Ellerbe are gone next year. Possible Strief and Laurinitis due to age. If we don't resign Kruger and Fairly that is more dead money because of the voidable contracts. LOL.

Did you compile this info, or can you link article?

I'd like to quote on FB and give proper credit. Thanks.

I compiled it. There isn't one link, it's a series of links since dead money isn't tracked in the past at any one place. You can find the 2015, 2016, 2017 dead money for teams here though and it's the majority of info.
NFL Salary Cap Space | Over The Cap

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom