Falcons possible cuts (1 Viewer)

Beast

Former Camp Beast
Reaction score
Falcons may cut as many as a dozen players

By STEVE WYCHE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/14/08

The Falcons' roster will undergo a radical change — and those moves could come as soon as Friday.

Several veterans will be cut and there could be some surprises, according to interviews with NFL officials and player agents by the Journal-Constitution. The radical changes will come at nearly every position.

Among the projected cuts is strong safety Lawyer Milloy. That would leave the team without either of last season's starting safeties.

Among the veterans who could be released is strong safety Lawyer Milloy, said one NFL official. Such a move would strip the Falcons of their most respected leader and leave the team without either of last season's starting safeties. Free safety Chris Crocker's contract is expiring, and the Falcons don't plan to re-sign him.

The offense could be in for a complete makeover as offensive linemen Wayne Gandy, Kynan Forney and Todd Weiner, wide receivers Joe Horn and Brian Finneran, tailback Warrick Dunn and quarterbacks Joey Harrington and Byron Leftwich all have had their futures debated.

Five-time Pro Bowl linebacker Keith Brooking could be among those released to the defense.

More here: http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2008/02/14/falcons_0215.html

If Keith Brooking becomes available, we need to go after him for sure.. Lawyer Milloy might also be a decent pickup for some veteran leadership.. And I honestly wouldn't mind Joey Harrington as a backup QB.. Payton might be able to mold him into a better QB..

Also, there are rumors that Alge Crumpler may be cut.. He'd be a great pickup as well..

sorry, but I'm not trying to use all my roster spots adding veterans who aren't wanted....rather go after guys that we want.....you don't get better picking up other teams garbage, most of these guys are being cut because of there cap number and age, were trying to get younger and more athletic......not older and wiser.

Yes, Brooking is still a solid linebacker.. I'd take him over what we currently have (outside of Fujita).. He's been in the league 10 years.. He's getting up there, but he's still a solid linebacker..

Crumpler had a down year, but look who he had throwing him the ball.. Plus he was injured.. He's only been in the league 7 years.. That's not all that long.. He's still got quite a few good years left in him I'm sure..

The only reason I say take a look at Milloy is so that he could help bring Harper along.. Milloy was once the one of the most feared strong safeties in the league.. If we could pick him up cheaply to help Harper learn the position better, I think it would be worth it..

They apparently released DT Rod Coleman, who I thought was their best defensive player

someone pasted this to another site but posted, no link....but

Falcons release 10-year vet Coleman

Published on: 02/15/08

Rod Coleman was released by the Atlanta Falcons on Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

It's the first of what is expected to be many cuts made by general manager Thomas Dimitroff as the team begins to reshape after last year's disastrous season.

Coleman, a 10-year veteran on the defensive line, started five games last season before missing the final six games because of injuries.

Last edited:
I'd love to get Brooking on a 2 yr deal. He's got plenty left in the tank. He'd love to play for a division rival I bet.

Alge Crumpler is old and fat. I'll pass.

Keith Brooking would be a nice addition, but you have to wonder if he can still play on the same level.

I'd sign Brooking. He's still miles ahead of Simineaux.

I'd also sign Weiner, just so we can take a picture of him walking onto the field next to Reggie Bush.

:hihi:

They apparently released DT Rod Coleman, who I thought was their best defensive player

someone pasted this to another site but posted, no link....but

Falcons release 10-year vet Coleman

Published on: 02/15/08

Rod Coleman was released by the Atlanta Falcons on Friday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

It's the first of what is expected to be many cuts made by general manager Thomas Dimitroff as the team begins to reshape after last year's disastrous season.

Coleman, a 10-year veteran on the defensive line, started five games last season before missing the final six games because of injuries.

They have a good and young DT in Jonathan Babineux. Rod Coleman's production, as of late, has been subpar, possibly par. They are making the right move.

If Brooking gets cut from a very poor team, what does that say about his play?

If Brooking gets cut from a very poor team, what does that say about his play?

That its a big improvemnet over what we got... :shrug:

Brooking

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle bgColor=#000000><TD align=left>Stat Overview</TD><TD colSpan=6>Tackles</TD><TD colSpan=2>Misc</TD><TD colSpan=6>Interceptions</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right ?><TD align=left>SPLIT</TD><TD>TOT</TD><TD>SOLO</TD><TD>AST</TD><TD>SACK</TD><TD>STF</TD><TD>STFY</TD><TD>FF</TD><TD>BK</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>PD</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>84</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>2.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Simeneau

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle bgColor=#c6a876><TD align=left>Stat Overview</TD><TD colSpan=6>Tackles</TD><TD colSpan=2>Misc</TD><TD colSpan=6>Interceptions</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right ?><TD align=left>SPLIT</TD><TD>TOT</TD><TD>SOLO</TD><TD>AST</TD><TD>SACK</TD><TD>STF</TD><TD>STFY</TD><TD>FF</TD><TD>BK</TD><TD>INT</TD><TD>YDS</TD><TD>AVG</TD><TD>LNG</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>PD</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>50</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>2.0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0.0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom