Falcons Rid of DC and DL Coach?? [RB coach leaves too] (1 Viewer)

Javon7143

InYourFace
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Source tells <a href="https://twitter.com/sn_nfl">@sn_nfl</a> Richard Smith no longer <a href="https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons">@AtlantaFalcons</a> DC &amp; Bryan Cox dismissed as defensive line coach. Story coming ASAP at <a href="https://twitter.com/sn_nfl">@sn_nfl</a></p>&mdash; Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) <a href="https://twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/829192200969928705">February 8, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't know how true this is..

If this is true, it's a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. The defense did collapse,but they were on the field for 93 plays and 40.21 in
the TOP stat. Shanahan called 5 running plays after taking a 28-3 lead. He's the real goat imo again.

Its Quinn's system so the names and faces in those positions can change. Its like Payton can get rid of Carmichael and all of the offensive assistance, and it won't matter because the system remains.

Apparently it's true. They're talking about it as though it's a done deal on TATF.

I liked Bryan Cox on their season of Hard Knocks. The dude didn't put up with any **** and chewed Ra'Shede Hageman's *** out on multiple occasions.

The Falcons' complete failure is delicious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Very dumb move if true. That defense is legit...and just needed two things.

1. To play four whole quarters, which could be solved easily in training camp, practices, extra gassers...surprise addition at the end of practices to make them mentally tough.

2. Instill a run game that eats up clock and helps them hold the ball more when they have a lead like they had against us and NE.

Blowing it up seems like an overreaction, and may come back to haunt them, unless Quinn is trying to bring some if his folks from Seattle in there. If that's the case, we better not roll-out the same nonsense we put on the field each year now...bc we won't be able to compete.

IMHO it won't matter who is coaching the Falcons next year. They most probably will have a terrible season. It is going to be a while before their heads are right after that loss.

Knee jerk reaction. Not a smart one, IMO.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/08/report-richard-smith-wont-return-as-falcons-defensive-coordinator/

Falcons defensive coordinator Richard Smith will not be back in his role with the team next season, Alex Marvez of Sporting News reported.

The report said Smith could end up taking another job on staff but won&#8217;t be back as coordinator after the Falcons&#8217; Super Bowl meltdown. It also said Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox will be dismissed.

Smith has been with the team for two seasons, and Cox has been with the team for the last three seasons.

These moves mean the Falcons will follow their Super Bowl appearance with significant staff changes on both sides of the ball. Kyle Shanahan was hired as head coach of the 49ers after two years as offensive coordinator, and the Falcons officially announced Steve Sarkisian as his replacement on Tuesday. Per multiple reports, quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur will also leave the team to become offensive coordinator with the Rams.

The Falcons&#8217; defense had made significant strides under Smith, who was previously a coordinator in Miami and Houston. He joined head coach Dan Quinn&#8217;s first staff with the Falcons after four seasons as the linebackers coach in Denver.

Cox had previously coached in Tampa Bay, Cleveland and with the Jets following a long playing career as a linebacker.

Dan Quinn mean business. Atl got a good coach in Quinn. He dont play favoritism like other coaches. Do your JOB.

Wow. I mean, its not like the defense collapsed and let Rex Grossman drive the field all night on them. Tom Brady is considered the best for a reason, and they held him in check well enough to reasonably expect that it would lead to a victory.

Also, Freaking Grady Jarrett is a only a second year player selected in the fifth round with no pass rush skills to speak of when he came into the league, and he tied a Super Bowl record for sacks. Their defensive line was all over Brady for three quarters. And you fire the guy who helped develop that?

This really seems like a case of misplaced blame, and is a very surprising turn of events. Say what you will about Blank, but he seems to be a decent guy and loyal to his people. Dan Quinn did too. I'm really curious what led to this, and who's decision it was to pull the trigger.

Wasn't Cox at one time a defensive coach for the Saints?
Nah, but he wore the Black and Gold on the field late in his career! I seem to remember that when he was on the best damn sports show, he was one of the few talking heads that spoke highly of the Saints organization. Was hoping he would have coached our D-Line instead of Atlanta

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom