Falcons sign Calais Campbell (1 Viewer)

Lol I love it, dude signs with the falcons and he's a washed up bum who can't play a lick. Had he signed with the Saints it would be pandemonium up in here right now. We'd be doing fist bumps and giving high fives and talking about how we are set up to draft BPA. Someone would post a highlight video and people would respond with LFG! Deuce would make a video about how Campbell would fit into our offense and people would act like they have watched every snap of his career and act like he's still a beast. And let's not forget the veteran leadership he brings to the table, can't put a price tag on that!

The sad truth is that Calais Campbell could roll out of bed tomorrow morning and probably be our second best D Lineman at 36 years old. Pains me to say it but I think this is a solid pickup for the falcons. They've had a pretty solid offseason so far and it's a little concerning considering they went 7-10 last season in a full on rebuild year. If Desmond Ridder can play they might have something going on over there.
Really?!?! But what about the Falcon fans laughing us signing Derek Carr in an article posted by Nolaboy: https://saintsreport.com/threads/falcons-laughing-at-the-saints.489928 They are doing the same thing by down playing our acquisition. But you don't hear them praising how good Carr maybe, especially with all the attention about how the Saints are now the 3rd best team in the NFC.

Calais Campbell maybe a good pickup for them. But the indications are that this guy on the bottom half of his career with the Falcons signing him for just 1 year, being released from a good team in the Ravens, the reduction in his playing time, age, and being bounced around to different teams for only a short amount of time.

Last edited:
This thread:

1-2 posters: “he’s washed!”
7-8 posters: “good player, that’s a solid move.”
10+ posters: “all you guys only think he stinks because he signed with the Falcons!!! You’d be thrilled if he signed with the Saints!”

Never change, SR.

Onyemata is still a very good player, he was 13th overall in pass rush win rate for DT’s (for players with at least 14 attempts per scheduled game, similar to QB minimum attempts for season leaders). The Falcons now have three interior defensive linemen that were in the top 30 last year for pass rush win rate after adding Campbell. Onyemata played nose a fair amount in three down fronts, he absorbed double teams to free up Elliss and others to get the sacks/pressures that got them paid.

Besides that, the Falcons also added Jessie Bates. I’m willing to admit they had five solid additions on defense in free agency.
Simply disagree about Onyemata. He didn't earn his contract. I'm also skeptical about spending huge money on safeties. I like the Ellis and Campbell signingS. I have to believe that Campbell's market was not very good unless Atlanta overspent as it did with Onyemata.

Last edited:
The takes in this thread are all over the place.

CC is not an every down starter anymore and has not been the same player since he left JAX. He made the PB in 2020 based solely on his career, not how he played that season. His production in Baltimore is significantly less than what it was in JAX.

This is a good signing for his locker room presence and leadership, not because he is still a dominant lineman.

We have DD and Cam, we have vet leadership on the defense. We need production from some young D-Linemen, not a bout-to-retire leadership guy. I'd have loved him for depth on a vet minimum contract, but I'd bet ATL gave him some change.

I am always curious about aging veterans signing 1 year deals for teams with zero chance at a Super Bowl. Are they the only team that offered you anywhere close to that money? You’d think the contract offer gap would have to be meaningful.
Keep in mind that Atlanta is a team that has their starting QB on a rookie contract. In the Falcon's case, they've got Ridder for four more years on his rookie deal. That gives them a lot of right-now cap flexibility that can be used to "overpay" for mid-level free agents.

Campbell was not going to be a splash signing anywhere at 36 years old. However, there were likely several teams interested at a certain price point. When Campbell's agent compared the prospective offers, the guaranteed dollars probably looked something like this (numbers purely for sake of an example):

Team 1 - $1,500,000
Team 2 - $1,600,000
Team 3 - $1,750,000
Team 4 - $1,800,000
Atlanta - $3,000,000

On contracts this small (relatively), a team with a lot of immediate cap room can throw in an extra 50% or more to convince a player to come on board. Even for a one-year guy -- and maybe especially for a one-year guy who won't be on the books the following season (assuming no Saints-style void years).

This thread:

1-2 posters: “he’s washed!”
7-8 posters: “good player, that’s a solid move.”
10+ posters: “all you guys only think he stinks because he signed with the Falcons!!! You’d be thrilled if he signed with the Saints!”

Never change, SR.
Seems legit.

Simply disagree about Onyemata. He didn't earn his contract. I'm also skeptical about spending huge money on safeties. I like the Ellis signing and the Campbell signing. I have to believe that Campbell's market was not very good unless Atlanta overspent as it did with Onyemata.
Fair enough on the Bates contract, although it won’t really affect Atlanta much because they had excessive cap space coming into free agency.

I expect Onyemata to continue to produce in 2023, I’ll be glad to be proven wrong since he plays for the Falcons. Would you trust Peat to block him one on one?

Why a 1 year deal then?

Don’t think I have ever seen a non-QB sign a multi-year deal this late in their career. Hell, I don’t know of very many DLs PERIOD that I have signed a deal this late in their career.

To that end, the fact that he is still wanted for even a one year deal says something positive about him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom