Falcons sign Calais Campbell (1 Viewer)

Let’s wait for the contract numbers, that might shed some light on how good of a fit he thought it was.

Good signing for them regardless, they’ve added some good defensive pieces to take the pressure off their young QB.
Ellis and potentially Campbell are the only 2 signings that I chalk up as good signings. Maybe Onyemata plays up to his contract. He definitely didn't earn the contract Atlanta gave him.

He missed a lot of games because of injury last season, right?
Campbell was inactive for three of 17 games for the Ravens last year, but it doesn't look like he was ever placed on injured reserve.

Not surprising for a mid-30s DE, his snap counts have dropped a good bit in recent years. He was consistently over 800 snaps/season with Arizona and Jacksonville, then dropped to 412 snaps (12 games) his first season with the Ravens in 2020.

In 2021, the Ravens leaned on Campbell for 612 snaps (15 games) and his production fell off a cliff. Last season, they used Campbell more situationally and limited his rushing-downs snaps. He bounced back a bit on a per-play basis in 2022 -- 36 combined tackles with 5.5 sacks in 550 snaps (compared to 29 combined tackles and 1.5 sacks in 612 snaps the year prior).

Lol I love it, dude signs with the falcons and he's a washed up bum who can't play a lick. Had he signed with the Saints it would be pandemonium up in here right now. We'd be doing fist bumps and giving high fives and talking about how we are set up to draft BPA. Someone would post a highlight video and people would respond with LFG! Deuce would make a video about how Campbell would fit into our offense and people would act like they have watched every snap of his career and act like he's still a beast. And let's not forget the veteran leadership he brings to the table, can't put a price tag on that!

The sad truth is that Calais Campbell could roll out of bed tomorrow morning and probably be our second best D Lineman at 36 years old. Pains me to say it but I think this is a solid pickup for the falcons. They've had a pretty solid offseason so far and it's a little concerning considering they went 7-10 last season in a full on rebuild year. If Desmond Ridder can play they might have something going on over there.

It's a great signing for a young team trying to build a culture and has cap space to burn. He's still a handful and will pair well with Grady Jarrett...I hate it.

Atlanta is having a good off season. Hate on them if you will, but they aren't just sitting around. They are making moves and Carolina is as well. The only team that seems to be doing very little is Tampa. I still think we are the best team in the division.

It's a great signing for a young team trying to build a culture and has cap space to burn. He's still a handful and will pair well with Grady Jarrett...I hate it.
And Onyemata. Their interior line will be good.

It's a great signing for a young team trying to build a culture ...
This is the best thing about the signing, and I'd have loved Campbell on the Saints for the same reason. Even in a limited-snaps role.

He will more than likely be a rotational piece, starting ahead of whomever is being groomed to eventually replace him. good signing for the Falcons.

Ellis and potentially Campbell are the only 2 signings that I chalk up as good signings. Maybe Onyemata plays up to his contract. He definitely didn't earn the contract Atlanta gave him.
Onyemata is still a very good player, he was 13th overall in pass rush win rate for DT’s (for players with at least 14 attempts per scheduled game, similar to QB minimum attempts for season leaders). The Falcons now have three interior defensive linemen that were in the top 30 last year for pass rush win rate after adding Campbell. Onyemata played nose a fair amount in three down fronts, he absorbed double teams to free up Elliss and others to get the sacks/pressures that got them paid.

Besides that, the Falcons also added Jessie Bates. I’m willing to admit they had five solid additions on defense in free agency.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom