Falcons sign RB Steven Jackson (merged) (1 Viewer)

Not what I wanted to hear. Hope their O-line sucks this year.

If we could beat the Falcons when Turner was in his prime, we shouldn't have any different outcome with SJ..

Widge, lets be seriously objective then. He has never played on a team that had a passing attack potent enough to allow him some ease in his rushing attempts. This guy has done it, when everyone was coming in, focusing on stopping him as #1 priority. Now, he is going to be in a system that allows him some cushion, that he has probably never felt before, in the NFL.

Look, I can come-up with a paragraph that would downplay this signing as well. But, truthfully, that was a serious move by our main competitor.

It's a solid move, but far from a home run signing. I would be more concerned if they signed Reggie Bush, got Ivory from us or drafted Eddie Lacy. Jackson is still a good RB, but he is not a game changer anymore. He might run on our defense (depending if Rob Ryan can fix that), but he's not going to take over a game against a team with a good run defense. I think you are remembering the Stephen Jackson from 2006 to 2009, not the Stephen Jackson from 2010 to 2012.

Basically, he's a solid pick up, but not something that makes the Falcons significantly better than they were last year and certainly not better than their running game in 2011 when turner ran for 1,340 yards, a 4.5 average and 11 TDs or 2010 when he ran for 1371 yards, a 4.1 average and 10 TDs.

Turner had a bad year last year at 3.8 ypc (only .3 YPC worse than Jackson by the way, and he had a lot more TDs), but he only got 222 carries compared to 301 and 340 the two years before. But, that's what happens to RB over 30 like Turner and like Jackson. They drop off significantly in one year.

And even if Jackson somehow finds the Fountain of Youth in Atlanta, we've beat them before with turner running for a lot of yards so I see no reason why Jackson would significantly change that.

Big Ole' Rob Ryan will be suiting up at the nose this year. Nobody will be able to run the ball up the gut on us, including SJ.

Dang, we shouldn't have stuffed Turner so much last season. Not good.

So why am I suppose to be concerned? its the Falcons. They will find some way to screw this up

Eight straight 1,000 plus yard seasons for a not so good team as well as good receiving numbers. A major signing by Atlanta. He is a really good running back who gives their offense another major weapon. The Falcons are not being built for the long haul. One day soon Gonzalez will retire and Jackson will slow down. But the Atlanta offense barring injuries looks awfully good for the 2013 season.

It's an excellent contract, too, from all accounts. 3 yr, $12 million, 4 guaranteed. Great work by our front office. It should leave us room for another addition or two for the D.

It's a solid move, but far from a home run signing. I would be more concerned if they signed Reggie Bush, got Ivory from us or drafted Eddie Lacy. Jackson is still a good RB, but he is not a game changer anymore. He might run on our defense (depending if Rob Ryan can fix that), but he's not going to take over a game against a team with a good run defense. I think you are remembering the Stephen Jackson from 2006 to 2009, not the Stephen Jackson from 2010 to 2012.

Basically, he's a solid pick up, but not something that makes the Falcons significantly better than they were last year and certainly not better than their running game in 2011 when turner ran for 1,340 yards, a 4.5 average and 11 TDs or 2010 when he ran for 1371 yards, a 4.1 average and 10 TDs.

Turner had a bad year last year at 3.8 ypc (only .3 YPC worse than Jackson by the way, and he had a lot more TDs), but he only got 222 carries compared to 301 and 340 the two years before. But, that's what happens to RB over 30 like Turner and like Jackson. They drop off significantly in one year.

And even if Jackson somehow finds the Fountain of Youth in Atlanta, we've beat them before with turner running for a lot of yards so I see no reason why Jackson would significantly change that.

Good points, all, and it definitely does not mean Atlanta has solidified a tix to the dance. What I do like about the signing and Gonzo coming back, along with the moves TB made, is that the Saints are going to be focused like never before. If we want to yell out "This is our division, we know it and they know it" during pregame chants...the calories cannot be empty. The team has to get it out of everybody next year. No more making excuses for Colston, Henderson (if here) and Graham (not really worried about him we hope) and the defense, well thats self-explanatory.

I think that the moves that we have seen will wake a sleeping giant, moreso than any bounty enmity, and I say that with minimal exaggeration. Everyone in our divison are getting (as peeps in here like to say) REAL. Last year, we all went 3-3, with at least 7 wins, all four teams. We are not going to be able to field a team that we love, because they testified on our behalf or afraid to cut due to some type of blind faithfulness. Guys will have to come to play next year, bring a lunchpale or bat every play, and for that, we should be thankful.

All the competition in this division will make it nearly impossible for any of us to get the 1 or 2 seed :/

I'll never forget when he had some camp for kids over here in Vegas and when the camp ended and it was time for everyone to get their autographs I saw Jackson start to walk away. He came back some time after to tell one of the other players something then started to walk away again. Some kid ran up to him and said that he had all the other players autographs but his and the dude just said "that's cool" and continued to walk away.

Look at the yardage trend for Steven Jackson - dude has had serious declines in production every year. Definitely an upgrade to Turner, but am glad they took Jackson and not someone on the upside of their career. This also means they won't draft Eddie Lacey.

2009 1,416
2010 1,241
2011 1,145
2012 1,042

SJax's YPC last year? 4.1.

Career YPC? 4.2.

Looks to me more like a reduction in carries than anything else. I absolutely HATE this signing; A top 10 back in Atlanta isn't exactly something I'm looking forward to our defense facing.

BIisxoX.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom