Fallout 4 (2 Viewers)

I played for like 3 days when it first came out and stopped. Never picked it back up.

Context - I played Fallout New Vegas hundreds of hours. Absolutely loved it. Was insanely hyped for Fallout 4.

Was very, very, very let down

what was your issue with it??

i tried FO3 years ago and it didn't blow my skirt up...

i loved FO4

what was your issue with it??

i tried FO3 years ago and it didn't blow my skirt up...

i loved FO4

Kinda hard to pinpoint...

I think the dialogue and quest trees were very limited, and I think needlessly so.

So Fallout New Vegas had radically different world states available to you and most quests were multi-step/multi-branching. It also had a lot of intricate subplots that weren't even that relevant to the main story but you could spends hours in.

Maybe the voiced dialogue limited this ability, but I'm not sure that had to be the case. The Dragon Age 2 voice acting and dialogue wheel was sooooooo much better. You could be very distinct and unique Garret Hawke. The Fallout 4 hero is just ******* milquetoast, devoid of any personality whatsoever. And you can't break into a different persona it felt like.

So I know it was possible. "But Dragon Age 2 was limited plot-wise and widely panned". Sure, okay. I liked it personally but I can see, Fallout 4 is much more open-world, I get it.

But unfortunately for Fallout 4, I played a RPG just before I played Fallout 4 that also had a voiced protagonist, widely open world, but somewhat single tracked protagonist persona, The Witcher 3. And it was way more interesting. I didn't feel Geralt was my own hero, you're kinda forced into the game's intended perspective for him (as I played I began to realize there were distinctly "wrong" dialogue choices where if selected the responses were often weird non-sequitors that didn't sound natural at all. To get the good dialogue you'd have to choose the appropiate "Geraltesque" dialogue option), but he was at least a compelling character in an interesting story in a fascinating world.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, Fallout 4 had options
- Radically different world states and multi-multi-branching quest lines (New Vegas), but maybe no voice-acting
- Excellent voice-acting with very distinctive and unique points of view/personalities available (and the advantage of voice-acting, excellent inter-party banter and drama), but limited world states and quest alternatives

Or some combination of those 2 which I get, logistically, probably requires your protagonist have a somewhat limited "point of view" because you can only script so much voiced dialogue (The Witcher 3)

Instead it felt like Fallout 4 opted for than all 3 of those examples. It's an RPG and I felt my character was the single most boring, least inspiring, and least interesting man in the wasteland, a place full of "go kill X, quest completed" quests. And this is on top of the same rickety *** engine they did Fallout 3 on.

So basically I was left wondering, what the hell did they spend all of their time on?

By the way, I agree FO3 was a little underwhelming. It too felt kinda empty, I never even bought the DLC for it. But I forgave it because, you know, first Fallout game for Bethesda and besides I was just happy to interact with the Fallout world at all (I had liked Fallout 1&2 and Oblivion, so I was pretty predisposed to Fallout 3 before hand)

Then New Vegas came out and I was obsessed. I loved the DLC for it, especially Old World Blues. which I had the good fortune to go into spoiler-free and kinda underleveled, so it was amazing. I know New Vegas wasn't directly done by Bethesda but I thought "okay, so this is where the franchise is going".

And when I saw that Fallout 4 had the same engine as 3 and New Vegas, I was actually a little excited. New Vegas was filled with bugs, which is natural with that much quest branching. I figured Fallout 4 was going to be New Vegas perfected. We'd finally "figured out" Fallout.

Instead it's like Fallout 3 with a crappy version of minecraft and an admittedly cool Mech-feel to power armor.

Yeah, I haven't bought a game at release in forever - always wait for the reviews. The consensus was not as good as FO3, especially New Vegas. So I'll probably wait until it drops down in price before picking it up.

Yeah, I haven't bought a game at release in forever - always wait for the reviews. The consensus was not as good as FO3, especially New Vegas. So I'll probably wait until it drops down in price before picking it up.

It's $20 off at gamestop right now (or this weekend, at least).

Do you always let other people tell you what to do?

Do you always let other people tell you what to do?

I always tend to wait for reviews (from users, not the industry sh-- I mean "critics") and not just go out and grab anything at release ... The metacritic user score is a pretty good guide for me. (Which means I should really buy the Witcher 3 before Fallout 4) Hype and impulse buyers are killing the game industry, IMO.

I always tend to wait for reviews (from users, not the industry sh-- I mean "critics") and not just go out and grab anything at release ... The metacritic user score is a pretty good guide for me. (Which means I should really buy the Witcher 3 before Fallout 4) Hype and impulse buyers are killing the game industry, IMO.

The game is awesome!

Best fallout by far, its better than skyrim.

The thing with critics of everthing, is generally the negative people complain more and are always louder.

If you played past fallouts and enjoyed them, you will enjoy this game as its everything those others were, and much more. Graphics, A.I., Character customization, perk chart, weapon and armor modifications are all vastly improved.

I've logged tons of hours, and am not even close to finishing the game. Game is great!

8c0a4370fbdbcf185d9a95219d963928.jpg

I still haven't finished the main story missions yet.

I'm at a crossroads now, I got asked to side with the Railroad over the Minuteman.

I'm having trouble deciding between, the Railroad, Minutemen, the Institute, and the Brotherhood of Steel, not sure which direction to go.

Can we discuss which faction you chose? Benefits of each faction, reasons you chose them, etc.

the railroad gun is awesome, you stick heads to the wall with it....i think you only get it by fighting with them against the BOS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom