Family stuff to do in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Dryheatbob

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
After years of cheering for the best team in football, I'm finally getting a chance to visit New Orleans! How about some suggestions on family stuff to do- my kids are 8 and 12.

Thanks guys!

Swamp tours, haunted house tours, zoo, aquarium, insectarium

When are you coming?

The zoo, aquarium, and insectarium are all owned by Audubon and you can get package deals on tickets. The zoo is uptown, but you can take the streetcar or a riverboat from the quarter.

Ghost tours, swamp tours, plantation tours.

Check the French Quarter and all the little shops and historic buildings (most of the architecture is Spanish, you know)

Get begneits ar cafe du monde, eat a muffuletta at the river, and just eat in general.

Check the calendar (or the thread) for whatever music and food festivals are coming up - they are always a great time.

Check the music/theater schedules fir kid friendly events. Pretty much any daytime music will be kid friendly.

Make sure you ride the streetcar.

I don't think that riverboat from the quarter runs to the zoo anymore, buzd. Ain't dere no mo. The steamboat Natchez offers a harbor cruise, but starts and ends at the same dock near the French Quarter.

While you're walking in the quarter, there's a nice little (kind of gourmet) popsicle shop on Dumaine, just off Decatur. It's called "Meltdown." It's a nice spot to get the kids a treat.

Swamp tours, haunted house tours, zoo, aquarium, insectarium

When are you coming?

The Museum/Botanical gardens/@City Park, The Cabilldo, River boat ride/Riverwalk, St Charles street car/Garden District/Shopping on Royale st, The balcony at the French Market restaurant/The Acme oyster Bar, Deannies.

Some of my personal favorites.

Thanks! we're coming out the first week in June. Are there any parts of town that are still tore up from Katrina or any places to avoid?

Our daughter was 9 when she visited NOLA the first time and through the years we have brought an assortment of cousins along as well - most between the ages of 8 and 13.

Their favorites have always been

Natchez - the afternoon cruise when they play the steam organ.
Swamp tours - Especially the Honey Island
Riding the streetcars
Just walking around taking in the city. We usually give them a small allowance that they can use to buy one special item, and the shops in the Quarter holds so many unusual items (at least for danish kids) that they can spend days looking for that "special" thing. I can still remember trying to calm down my sister in law when my nephew chose to buy a stuffed alligator head. :spit:or the year my niece brought home a voodoo doll. My daughter loves masks so that is what she would usually spend her money on.

Thanks! we're coming out the first week in June. Are there any parts of town that are still tore up from Katrina or any places to avoid?

None of the tourist areas of the City were ever really damaged. The Quarter and the parts of Uptown that you might go to got some wind damage, but very little flood damage and all of that has been repaired for years. Most of the flood damage was in the 9th Ward and Lakeview which don't really have any tourist attractions.

With kids, I'd do the Zoo, the Aquarium, the Insectarium, the French Market, a walk around Jackson Square, Beignets at Cafe Du Monde, Riverwalk, a Street Car ride and the Natchez river cruise. The Children's Museum is okay, but I personally find it a bit over priced and your 12 year-old might be a bit bored there.

But, Dan is right, you should not go past Rampart when heading toward the river on foot and you should probably stay on the downtown side of St. Ann at night.

Coming in June? just prepare for the heat!

Also, If u feel like taking a 45-50 minute drive, u can hit Blue Bayou Water park in Baton Rouge, la. It's right on the i-10.

Definitely bring light clothing...With a name like Dryheatbob, I'm sure you and your family will love our humidity.....:hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom