Famous encounters. (1 Viewer)

Played beach volleyball with Hayden Panittierre

Went to college with Bradley Cooper, he was also a rower.
Also in college was on the same dorm room floor with Jonah Nolan (his brother is Christopher Nolan and he's gone on to write Memento, produced Person of Interest, West World etc) -- lots of stories about that guy.

Not really famous, but one of my good friends is the brother of Jared Bush who wrote and directed Zootopia and wrote Moana and is now a pretty big deal at Disney Animation -- one of the funniest men I have ever met.

Met Courtney Cox at Counting Crows concert at the Sanger Theatre.
She was sitting in the audience with Adam Duritz while Fiona Apple was opening. I think it was like "97 or '98.

Met Rickey Jackson at Walgreens one time. He had released a CookBook in, I think 2010. It was in Geismar, La, close to where I live (Prairieville)
He was doing a signing for like 2 hours, like from 3-5. I didn't get off until 3:30, and I figured there would be a line. I rushed there in my sweaty work clothes. when I got there, I was just me. After he signed the picture (he was also selling), he kinda looked bored since no-one else was there to get an autograph. and I kinda felt bad for him, so we talked for like 10 minutes. to make him feel a little better, I told him this area was a town that had a big plant workforce and most people didn't get off until 4 or 4:30.

I went to a Vendor's crawfish boil in 2014 at the Cabin restaurant in Darrow, La. (one I went to every year).
I was sitting with some other coworkers and at the table behind us was no other than Ole Edwin Edwards..
Let me tell you, at his age, he was still sharp as a knife. one of my co-workers was young, only 24 years old, so she really had no clue who he was.
We started a conversation with him, and he was telling us about how a reporter asked him with his history (this was when he was running for election in 2014), if he had any family values. he said, let me tell you what family values are, family values are an 86 year old man waking up at 2am in the morning changing a dirty diaper on an infant.. that's family values..
After a few more stories, when we were about to leave, he looks at my coworker and tells her "you know, they let 18 year olds vote now, so if you need any voting advice or need to know where to vote, give me call and I'll help you out.".. Eddie being Eddie..
its been 6 years and we still joke about the time she got hit on by Edwin Edwards.
Screenshot_20200529-214321.png

Dreams you had don’t count

True story -- was in San Diego for a wedding on Coronado beach, we were doing pickup volleyball. A group challenged us to play after we one, and there she was. Really short. Cute. Didn't talk to her though, but seemed fairly normal hanging out with her friends.

I’m thinking of the ones I’ve met that stand out for whatever reason.. Even though i hate the 49ers, meeting Joe Montana at a bar on Bourbon St shortly after he retired was pretty cool.. Exchanged maybe 30 seconds of conversation with him but he was friendly and unassuming.. Shopping at a Ralph’s grocery store in Marina del Rey CA circa 2006, i look up from my cart, i mean UP- and i see Kareem Abdul Jabber pushing his buggy.. Even in celebrity jaded L.A., he drew a crowd in that place.. On the same day once, i met Angelina Jolie AND Jennifer Aniston.. it was probably a year or two before the whole thing with Pitt went down, or maybe i just didnt make the connection at the time. .. Maybe the best sighting (though didnt meet) was ... Dick Van Freaking Dyke..... I mean, it was like seeing Elvis or something for me, kinda crazy that he even exists in the world.. BTW it’s true what they say, almost all celebrities are midgets, pocket-sized.. the only exceotions to that i ever encountered were the aforementioned Abdul-Jabber , and Vince Vaughn- i worked on a movie called Wedding Crashers for a few weeks, and that dude is a freaking giant, has to be 6’7”- i think he underestimates his height.

Minor celebrities who i became buddy-buddy with years back and hung out with - Mario Lopez (from SBTB) and the older brother from the Wonder Years, guy named Jason.. Oh and Ron Livingston from Office Space and Swingers- he’s super cool and chill, just as you’d expect.. And not really a ‘meeting’- but a buddy of mine is good friends with the guy who played Urkel (Jaleel is his real name) and he once let us use his courtside seats for UCLA to go to a Bruins game- we got on ESPN and everything!

Oh, and my vote for Nicest Guy in Hollywood goes to Jerry O’Connell.. i worked on a show he was on called Crossing Jordan a few times, and, long story, but he once took the fall for a lowly Production Assistant who would have gotten fired if he hadnt intervened.. i saw the whole thing go down, and that dude is the genuine article.

Shaq used the phone at my house when he was playing at LSU. I was probably 13 or so.

Our neighbor’s kid played for LSU and Shaq used to go over there to hang out. He was Shaq’s assistant for the first few years of his pro career.

He had gone to the neighbors house and Dennis was still sleeping. My mom saw him and invited him over to use the phone to call him. I got to meet with him for a few minutes. Pretty cool dude and obviously a giant.

Dennis Tracey is a Kennerian?

Shaq used the phone at my house when he was playing at LSU. I was probably 13 or so.

Our neighbor’s kid played for LSU and Shaq used to go over there to hang out. He was Shaq’s assistant for the first few years of his pro career.

He had gone to the neighbors house and Dennis was still sleeping. My mom saw him and invited him over to use the phone to call him. I got to meet with him for a few minutes. Pretty cool dude and obviously a giant.

I have been on SR for way too long, because I remember you telling that story at least a dozen years ago.

I think you said you lived across the street from Driftwood Playground right? I remember becuase i used to play football for the Driftwood Chargers, when i was in 1st grade.

Angelina Jolie. She was out touring the city around 2007 when shops started opening after Katrina. Totally not what I expected. Was not mean whatsoever but a bit flakey and aloof. Also like grotesquely thin at the time. Wanted to offer her my donut. Camera really does add 10lbs and then some.

Had some drinks with Deacon Frost once (Stephen Dorff). He was a richard.

Got really really drunk with Ray Stevenson (Titus freaking Pullo) one night. That is one crazy Irishman. They tried kicking him out the bar but I told management they couldn't kick out the freaking Punisher.

One time I was in a hotel elevator going down to the basement business center to print something. On my way down, the elevator stopped in the lobby - though I was going down.

The door opened and Danny Glover was standing there by himself. He smiled and said “going up?” I said “Nope - going down.” He said “Have a good one!” And I said “you too!”

Dennis Tracey is a Kennerian?

yep

I have been on SR for way too long, because I remember you telling that story at least a dozen years ago.

I think you said you lived across the street from Driftwood Playground right? I remember becuase i used to play football for the Driftwood Chargers, when i was in 1st grade.

That’s correct. My house was directly across from home plate on the main baseball diamond. I also played football there but only one year. Tom Dempsey was my coach, so i guess that counts as another famous encounter

Years back, probably like 2007 or something, I was in New Orleans at the Windsor Court. I was already in town but my wife (girlfriend at the time) was flying in from DC to meet me.

I'm standing there in the car circle area by the lobby doors - and I look and Ted Kennedy is standing there with a couple of dudes, detail perhaps. So my wife's cab pulls in and Kennedy's town car pulls in right next to it. My wife is climbing out of the cab just as Ted Kennedy is walking by her.

She gets out and comes over to me and before I can even say anything, as I'm reaching out to hug her she goes "Ted Kennedy just looked down my shirt."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom