Fan Folly De-Bunked... Teddy's Team!! (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Sticky Post
In 2019, during a 5-0 win streak where Teddy Bridgewater was QB1 for the Saints, there were fans who claimed that the QB was not playing a key role in the team winning. So, 52 players were contributing to wins on the football field and the starting QB was just along for the ride. That is what I call "fan folly"..

Fan Folly is like a drug that has a psychotic effect and you can get addicted to it. For example, Deonte Harris is an explosiveness kick returner. And, of all the explosive kick returners the Saints have had over the years, Harris looks like a capable WR. Beerman, a former Saints KR, could catch but he always fell down after he caught the ball and Beerman would wait on the turf till the defense touched him down. Harris looks more aggressive than that but, what fans should know, Harris was not drafted and he was not drafted for a reason. Harris is okay at WR but he is outstanding at KR and his NFL career will be long or short primarily based on what he does at KR. In other words, Harris will not ever challenge Micheal Thomas for WR1..

Teddy Bridgewater does not play on special teams. He is too valuable for that. And, when Drew Brees injured his hand, fans saw just how the right guy at QB2 can hold your team together and save a season. Fans said Teddy starting at QB made all other players play harder and contribute more to winning the game. But what's wrong with that? One player who can help a team stay focused, come together as a team and he makes everyone play harder. How can the impact of that one player be considered a bad thing?

Teddy Bridgewater gritted out some very tough wins during the toughest part of the Saints schedule for the year. Payton wants to throw the football with Brees under center but, with Bridgewater, Payton used the running the game and more ball control. Dominating TOP and limiting the plays of opponents worked for Saints. That style of play really contributed to wins at Seattle and Chicago and the Saints became a power football team that bullied opponents for four quarters. All that changed when Drew returned.

Finally, don't be fooled because Sean Payton plays along with interviewers regarding Taysom Hill. Hill has not missed a practice since he became a Saint player and, after three years, Hill is still QB3. Sure, I like Taysom and I think his future is at TE. And common sense would indicate that, if over the last three years Taysom was considered "valuable" as a QB, then the team would not be chancing injury by letting him play on special teams.

Bottom line.. This is Teddy's Team.. And what I don't understand is why fan's want to see Drew take another sack, drop another fumble or throw another crucial interception. Heroes experience tragedies along with victories. I want to remember Brees as a winner not as the guy who threw the interception or dropped the football or otherwise contributed to team tragedy. And I want to remember Teddy as the guy who was the "reload" because I don't have time for the Taysom "rebuild"..

GO Saints!!

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of all QBs on the team not named Drew Brees.

Let's be real, if Brees had gone 3 out of 5 games with the offense scoring a TD or less, everyone would be dumping on him. Heck, he only had to have one bad game after one of his best months ever for half the board to decide he's done.

On the other hand, I'm probably more skeptical of the guy who's 30 years old and has never shown the ability to be an actual QB at anything but a below average level.

Flame away, but I still think we are stupid if we don't draft a QB to add to this mix and let it play out.
When have people dumped on Drew? I think most fans give him a pass because of what he has done over the years. Our offense hasn't been unstoppable in a long time. The criticism now is about his age, not his ability. Even though I think its time for him to retire, I don't deny that he can give us another pro-bowl caliber season. My gripe is with letting the pragmatic succession option walk out the door because we want to roll the dice one more time.

Mental Floss

Banned
Reaction score
I'm skeptical of all QBs on the team not named Drew Brees.

Let's be real, if Brees had gone 3 out of 5 games with the offense scoring a TD or less, everyone would be dumping on him. Heck, he only had to have one bad game after one of his best months ever for half the board to decide he's done.

On the other hand, I'm probably more skeptical of the guy who's 30 years old and has never shown the ability to be an actual QB at anything but a below average level.

Flame away, but I still think we are stupid if we don't draft a QB to add to this mix and let it play out.
Serious question

What part of his stats are below average
Capture.JPG

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
If you seriously think posting 4th quarter preseason stats coupled with the few read option passes he's thrown adds anything to the equation, I'm not wasting my time.

The unknown is the point.

Loose Cannon

Tangibles
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Bonchie asserts that the fan base would be negging Drew if he did what Teddy did, which is go 2 of 5 starts (it's not 3/5, just Dallas and Jacksonville) where the offense only scored one touchdown

What if Drew not only did that exact same thing in fewer games, bit also had a horrific 1 to 1 TD:Int ratio during that four-game stretch?

What would we do then?

Mental Floss

Banned
Reaction score
If you seriously think posting 4th quarter preseason stats coupled with the few read option passes he's thrown adds anything to the equation, I'm not wasting my time.

The unknown is the point.
Sean Payton had only Tayson's 4th quarter Green Bay film to judge him by so apparently Payton is not as arrogantly pre disposed against the evaluative properties of preseason.

And Taysom played more of the preseason for the Saints in 2018 and 2019 that the 4th quarter that you so dismissively claim.

I know this certainty. One of us is dead wrong. Gonna be fun to find out who.

See ya around.

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sean Peytons team. People keep thinking that the fans have built this team and that SP was just along for the ride. Thats fan folly. The Coach is going to decide which QB he rolls with and I for one could not have faith in a better person when it comes to knowing QBs

Payton can get the most out of either QB, so I'm not worried either way I'm actually looking forward to it.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Bonchie asserts that the fan base would be negging Drew if he did what Teddy did, which is go 2 of 5 starts (it's not 3/5, just Dallas and Jacksonville) where the offense only scored one touchdown

What if Drew not only did that exact same thing in fewer games, bit also had a horrific 1 to 1 TD:Int ratio during that four-game stretch?

What would we do then?

And the board was shirtting themselves about the offense during that stretch despite it being Drew freaking Brees.

Pretending that Teddy has proven himself to be a certain, long term above average QB (which is the cardinal question here) is no better than pretending Taysom Hill has magic juice that will make him the next great QB because he runs really well.

The unknowns of all this is the point.

Chuck McGill Esq.

Veteran Starter
Reaction score

What would we do then?

Brees gets killed on this board quite often.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jacksonville and Dallas are 2 of them if there are three.
Is it about throwing TDs or winning? I'll be the first admit that Teddy doesn't blow you away like Mahommes but I say we still don't know how he would preform as the guy. I mean Drew wasn't a HOF QB in San Diego. Some folks want to make projections about a guy that probably has fewer than 20 regular season passes but they refuse consider how Teddy would look without the restrictions of being a backup who doesn't want to screw up.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
Is it about throwing TDs or winning? I'll be the first admit that Teddy doesn't blow you away like Mahommes but I say we still don't know how he would preform as the guy. I mean Drew wasn't a HOF QB in San Diego. Some folks want to make projections about a guy that probably has fewer than 20 regular season passes but they refuse consider how Teddy would look without the restrictions of being a backup who doesn't want to screw up.
It's about winning, which is one of the reasons I'd choose Teddy over Taysom if I had to make a choice right now (there's also Teddy being younger and a more proven thrower).

But I find it very hard to evaluate that 5 game stretch when the defense was playing so out its mind. There will come a time, perhaps more often than not looking at our history, where the defense doesn't play like an elite unit. Is Teddy the kind of guy who can win 4-5 shoot outs a year?

I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe he's just getting started, or maybe he's near his peak. If we re-sign him, we'll find out.

Last edited:

Chuck McGill Esq.

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I agree to an extent. I saw a lot of faults with Teddy in the starting role, but I cannot deny that the team looked great as a whole. Also, I was probably unfairly judging him in comparison to Brees. Teddy seemed hesitant and unable to process his reads timely. But Brees has been a master at that for over a decade so that is pretty unfair. I kept waiting for Teddy to just turn it loose. Hopefully he has that in him when he is primed and ready for the starting role.

I wouldn't be upset if Teddy was the guy going forward. I would be cautiously optimistic about it most likely. Overall, I think Teddy would help keep the core of this team consistent. He is a great leader and person and he fits in this city. I trust SP and the front office in their approach no matter how it all goes down.

Mental Floss

Banned
Reaction score
Teddy's stats for the 5 3/4 games he played are almost identical to Tayson NFL stats and you can stuff your preseason dogma. A pass caught is a pass caught, it required the QB to deliver the ball where it can be caught. If anything, throwing to third and fourth stringers, you only had a few days of practice with, should reduce completion rates not increase them. Want proof? Look no further than TB in pre season. See Stats below.

The preseason mantra is an old wives tale, Apologies to Old Wives who are probably right more often than you. Taysom outplayed Teddy in the Preseason even with less talented receivers and front line.

So Taysom and Teddy are comparable passing QBs except Taysom can complete much deeper passes. Then add in Taysom's other skill. and you see why I "Think" Taysom if the better QB of the Future.

Teddy

1581698208692.png

Taysom
1581698343396.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom