Fan Folly De-Bunked... Teddy's Team!! (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Sticky Post
In 2019, during a 5-0 win streak where Teddy Bridgewater was QB1 for the Saints, there were fans who claimed that the QB was not playing a key role in the team winning. So, 52 players were contributing to wins on the football field and the starting QB was just along for the ride. That is what I call "fan folly"..

Fan Folly is like a drug that has a psychotic effect and you can get addicted to it. For example, Deonte Harris is an explosiveness kick returner. And, of all the explosive kick returners the Saints have had over the years, Harris looks like a capable WR. Beerman, a former Saints KR, could catch but he always fell down after he caught the ball and Beerman would wait on the turf till the defense touched him down. Harris looks more aggressive than that but, what fans should know, Harris was not drafted and he was not drafted for a reason. Harris is okay at WR but he is outstanding at KR and his NFL career will be long or short primarily based on what he does at KR. In other words, Harris will not ever challenge Micheal Thomas for WR1..

Teddy Bridgewater does not play on special teams. He is too valuable for that. And, when Drew Brees injured his hand, fans saw just how the right guy at QB2 can hold your team together and save a season. Fans said Teddy starting at QB made all other players play harder and contribute more to winning the game. But what's wrong with that? One player who can help a team stay focused, come together as a team and he makes everyone play harder. How can the impact of that one player be considered a bad thing?

Teddy Bridgewater gritted out some very tough wins during the toughest part of the Saints schedule for the year. Payton wants to throw the football with Brees under center but, with Bridgewater, Payton used the running the game and more ball control. Dominating TOP and limiting the plays of opponents worked for Saints. That style of play really contributed to wins at Seattle and Chicago and the Saints became a power football team that bullied opponents for four quarters. All that changed when Drew returned.

Finally, don't be fooled because Sean Payton plays along with interviewers regarding Taysom Hill. Hill has not missed a practice since he became a Saint player and, after three years, Hill is still QB3. Sure, I like Taysom and I think his future is at TE. And common sense would indicate that, if over the last three years Taysom was considered "valuable" as a QB, then the team would not be chancing injury by letting him play on special teams.

Bottom line.. This is Teddy's Team.. And what I don't understand is why fan's want to see Drew take another sack, drop another fumble or throw another crucial interception. Heroes experience tragedies along with victories. I want to remember Brees as a winner not as the guy who threw the interception or dropped the football or otherwise contributed to team tragedy. And I want to remember Teddy as the guy who was the "reload" because I don't have time for the Taysom "rebuild"..

GO Saints!!

FootballLady

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I reject the notion that I have to choose between them. I will root for whomever the QB of the team is.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Preseason is all you got, which is a statement within itself.
Teddy's stats for the 5 3/4 games he played are almost identical to Tayson NFL stats and you can stuff your preseason dogma. A pass caught is a pass caught, it required the QB to deliver the ball where it can be caught. If anything, throwing to third and fourth stringers, you only had a few days of practice with, should reduce completion rates not increase them. Want proof? Look no further than TB in pre season. See Stats below.

The preseason mantra is an old wives tale, Apologies to Old Wives who are probably right more often than you. Taysom outplayed Teddy in the Preseason even with less talented receivers and front line.

So Taysom and Teddy are comparable passing QBs except Taysom can complete much deeper passes. Then add in Taysom's other skill. and you see why I "Think" Taysom if the better QB of the Future.

Teddy

1581698208692.png

Taysom
1581698343396.png

OP
OP
YeahSaintsWin

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Do you see yourselves? No one is offering any reason "why" Taysom Hill should be a starting QB. He hasn't earned a promotion on the practice field, so why make him QB1?

Also, that "defense played better" argument is fan folly. If you truly believe that, then why does the defense play hard for Teddy and not for Drew? It may have seemed the defense played harder during the time Brees was out, but that could have been caused by the offense controlling the clock more, giving the defense more time to rest. Why is that a bad thing for a team?

Let's agree to disagree unless someone, anyone can give me one reason why Taysom Hill should be considered as having a shot to become QB1 in New Orleans.. Because after pop warner ball, four years of HS football, 4 years at college playing football, and three years of pro football experience... Drew Brees says, "i hope Taysom gets a chance to be a starting QB," but Brees, Payton or nobody ever says why he should be a starting QB..

GO Saints!!

St. Widge

Besmirching You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Really good points here about how when your team plays good defense it means the QB isn't good.
You don't think Bridgewater has those intangibles?
I think he has loads of intangibles that come out while he is carrying his lunch pail to the field. He's a coach on the field with the heart of a champion. A real leader of men type that guys will go to war for. A cerebral type of QB who lacks a bit of athletic talent, but makes up for it with his intelligence, field awareness, hard work, grit, and determination.

But, I also think he's likely just an above average NFL QB and that is likely close to his ceiling. On the right team, with enough talent around him, he can win a lot of games, but he isn't going to win a lot of games on a team with mediocre talent. I'd love to have him on the team for a reasonable price, but if the rumors are right that he is looking at contracts from $20 million a year to $30 million per year, then I think the team needs to look at other options.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom