Fan's first time in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

One of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had was the shrimp po boy at Domilse’s. Cash only at this outstanding hole in the wall joint.

And just a few blocks north from Domisiles on Magazine is Guy’s Po Boys.....same deal, hole in the wall, cash only, but OH MOTHER OF ALL THINGS!!!!

NOLA born and raised; been in L.A. for a few decades and about 3 total years combined in The Lucky Land where I first discovered Cold Chisel in the early 80’s and Diesel and Australian Crawl---been a fan since I first heard Barnsey’s vocals on “Khe Sahn” to harmonies in “When The War Is Over”, the guitar licks from Mossy on “My Baby”, “Ita” and now “No Plans” and on now to “No Plans”.

Of all the things I did not expect to read on a message board about the New Orleans Saints, a post about Barnsey, Mossy and Cold Chisel would just about have to top the list.

I will have to proudly rep my Cold Chisel shirt in NOLA/Atlanta if we make it to the Super Bowl this year. Maybe a few Aussie beers (although I only ever see Foster's when I'm abroad) and a rendition of "Working Class Man" or "When the War is Over" just to break up any partying comprising embarrassing white boy attempts to emulate Mark Ingram flossing or Choppa Style.

Also, go and sit at the bar at The Old No. 77 Hotel & Chandlery and have some oysters. I tried out a bunch of food places that were recommended to me and they were all fantastic for a variety of different types of cuisine, but the massive oysters I had there were the best I've ever had. Better than anything I've had from Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide or Tasmania.
Old No. 77 is on Tchoupitoulas (Tchoupa Style!) Street. One block down (and catty corner from Lucy's retired Surfer Bar is Vic's Kangaroo Cafe. Vic is from down under (not sure exactly where) and not sure if he will be in town (he spends time in NOLA, Tampa, and Australia through the year); but if you go to Old No. 77, there are other places to check out if you walk down Tchoup.

And just a few blocks north from Domisiles on Magazine is Guy’s Po Boys.....same deal, hole in the wall, cash only, but OH MOTHER OF ALL THINGS!!!!

Can't leave out Parkway Bakery and Tavern either... dat roast beef po-boy, man oh man...

And it's Domilise's (can't get our visitor confused, ya heard me).

Hit up Central Grocery for a muffaletta as well...

If the government shutdown ends, go to the Jean Lafitte National Park museum. It's fantastic and offers free walking tours around the quarter. The Cabildo has a Louisiana History Museum and the Presbytere has a carnival history museum which are both top notch. (Those are the two buildings flanking the Cathedral in Jackson Square.)
I did this walking tour. I highly recommend it.

So many great suggestions throughout this thread that I could second or third, so I'll add Cochon Butcher, which has some great sandwiches and desserts and is only about 3 blocks from the WWII Museum.

One of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had was the shrimp po boy at Domilse’s. Cash only at this outstanding hole in the wall joint.

I'd add Verti Marte (1201 Royal Street) for a great po-boy...another hole-in-the-wall place in the Quarter. Added bonus is you can sit outside on the curb and eat a great sandwich while contemplating the horrible, gruesome murders that took place in the LaLaurie Mansion diagonally across the street... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphine_LaLaurie

I'd add Verti Marte (1201 Royal Street) for a great po-boy...another hole-in-the-wall place in the Quarter. Added bonus is you can sit outside on the curb and eat a great sandwich while contemplating the horrible, gruesome murders that took place in the LaLaurie Mansion diagonally across the street... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphine_LaLaurie
AND 3 blocks down and a left on Dumaine, you can go to Voodoo Authentica and get some gris gris or sage or voodoo dolls.

I have been to New Orleans many times. Recently for the first time I went to Preservation Hall to listen to Jazz. That’s now one of my favorite NOLA experiences- non Saints related of course :)

So many great suggestions throughout this thread that I could second or third, so I'll add Cochon Butcher, which has some great sandwiches and desserts and is only about 3 blocks from the WWII Museum.

Butcher is legit...

Coli; Gaza here! NOLA born and raised; been in L.A. for a few decades and about 3 total years combined in The Lucky Land where I first discovered Cold Chisel in the early 80’s and Diesel and Australian Crawl---been a fan since I first heard Barnsey’s vocals on “Khe Sahn” to harmonies in “When The War Is Over”, the guitar licks from Mossy on “My Baby”, “Ita” and now “No Plans” and on now to “No Plans”. Anyway, for me? I’d just roam The French Quarters and don’t put much stock in Bourbon St. but use your head and be safe yet it’s still the BEST place to just get lost looking where your instincts take you. If the weather is pretty and not too cold? Cajun Encounters offers both Quarter Tours for history and a pretty sweet bayou trip to pick up on the bayou vibe but if it’s cold? THAT could be miserable unless you’re out there crawfishing in Spring but it’s NOT Spring and it’s probably going to be wet and Cold and Wet is NOT how to get into the bayou to find it’s beauty by any means. Find an elegant Hotel Bar for cocktails. The Cafe’ where you go to get on The Cajun Encounter’s tour bus? Make sure you get their most excellent BREAD PUDDING there and most ANY seafood dish. It’s called Molly Maguire’s and has GREAT food! If you want to do that on Friday, when you call to make your reservations? Ask to have Butch Jobert (that’s pronounced like JOE-BEAR just so you know your with a real Cajun to host you and don’t be shy to tell him Dr. Daddyeaux sent you for a little lagniappe ( a little something/something extra in Cajun French) as he and I have been Brothers since we were playing football together as kids. You won’t regret it one bit, I promise. Wandering Royal Street (one block toward The River from Bourbon) is excellent and take a stroll along The River Walk all the way past The Hilton for a great walk. Wear comfortable shoes as well. (BTW; The Pitjanjittjarra elders allowed me to spend the night alone on top of Uluru! I’m proud of that and even 3 decades hence The Legend of The Uluru White Fella" still lives as I was happy to prove to my Bro on our Exploration Down Under when I took him all over your Continent after his wife passed. What a trip! The DOME will blow you away to actually BE THERE for this year’s NFC Championship GAME~! It’s like going to an All-Black’s Rugby Game X’s 100! No Lie. So, Cheers Mate! It’s a great time ahead for you and PLEASE share whatever you decide to do and feel free to PM me for ANYTHING as many Aussie’s treated me GREAT every time I’ve spent time in your Country and I mean from the City folk to the ranchers, Coober Pedy miners and The PEOPLE of The Bush! Nothing but love from everyone every time, so I’m just trying to return the love back to you and your KREWE! Go to Cafe’ Du Monde too. It’s kinda like “Breakfast At Sweethearts” ( you get what I mean ) only not full breakfasts. For a GREAT breakfast? Take the streetcar from The Quarters all the way to the end of St. Charles Street ( a terrific way to travel the distance) and get off for The Camilla Grill! You’ll love it and THAT IS like “Breakfast At Sweatheart’s”! Cheers Mate, have a blast and enjoy that game, be prepared to holla! A LOT!
Mate this is amazing, I'll make sure to get through your suggestions as I've given myself 3 days in the city to get amoungst it as much as possible. Thank you.

As a out of towner, i can recommend the zoo aquarium combo with boat ride. both are great and something to see and takes allot of time. Cafe Monde is a early morning treat . There are tons of small restaurants just asked locals which are the best they are not shy of telling you!Always wanted to do the battlefield tour but never seem to have the time. Even though i was a season tickets holder for years , only play offs i had tickets for , i had to have back surgery and did not get to go. You'll love the experience!
!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom