Fan's Know, The Numbers Don't Work... (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Let's look at the numbers..

In the Saints last game, Taysom Hill threw a football 60 yards to set up a New Orleans TD. The play by QB3 to the WR5 stunned the Minute Sopa defense and fired up the team and the crowd. Drew Brees was standing on the field and likely thinking that the Saints QB1 couldn't throw a ball that high and that far, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Whether or not you believe Drew Brees could make that throw, is not the question. What matters is that when ESPN interviewed Sean Payton and asked if the Saint's HOF QB's abilities had declined, Payton dodged the question saying, "the ball still seems to come out the same." Really, SP? The numbers don't say that.

Up in New England, HC Better-2cheat deflects certain questions so he never has to give too much away. The Saints HC stumbled when asked about moving on from Drew Brees to the spark plug, Taysom Hill. SP observers know the coach was not being open and, since we know the back story, we also know some numbers.

First, Taysom Hill is a RFA for the 2020 season. At 29yo, Hill will be approaching 31yo when he is an UFA in 2021. To better understand the life cycle of NFL contracts, you need to know the numbers and consider the standard length of contracts.

Let's say an athlete, that graduate HS and play four years college ball, starts their NFL career at age 21. A good NFL career may contain three 4-year contracts. That means the player will be 33yo at the third contract. The odds that Taysom Hill will get starting QB1 money at 31yo is unlikely. And, if you remember, Ryan Fitz-magic battled with the NY Jets GM over his QB1 salary.. Plus, players over 30yo are considered to be in decline from their physical peaks: so, management might not pay you even if they like you as a player. Players being over-paid at any position is not an option for many teams and overpaying your QB1 is more risky because the high cap hit means you have less to fill other holes on the team.

Taysom Hill is a good football player who plays all over the field. But, fans have been treated to the army-swiss knife player with this side note from the coaches. Taysom is good enough to play multiple positions on the field and Taysom Hill is QB3.. TE3.. and starts on ST. The numbers show that Taysom is productive all over the field but, trickeration aside, Taysom is not good enough to be the starter at any position on offense.

Back when Payton chose Brees as his QB, the HC passed on Donte Culpepper who was a veteran QB with a stronger arm than Brees. Payton chose the more accurate passer, Drew Brees. Now, with a choice between Bridgewater and Hill, the more accurate and more accomplished passer is clearly Bridgewater. And responding to the ESPN question, SP gave the clearest QB1 call without naming names. He just said. "I believe our next starting QB is in the building."

The numbers don't lie..

GO Saints!!

LOL. Is this a roundabout way to say Teddy is the more obvious and logical choice. If so, the consensus is Teddy is gone according to the board.

LOL. Is this a roundabout way to say Teddy is the more obvious and logical choice. If so, the consensus is Teddy is gone according to the board.

And it's "likely" true that Teddy's gone. I used the " " because I'm not 100% certain that's fact. Just "likely".

If Drew doesn't retire, it's highly likely that Teddy finds another team that will either pay him low-starting QB money and a chance to start, or something like the top-dollar back-up QB money we paid him last season. I don't see any way that we could pay that again this season. I actually could be wrong about that though. We could let somebody walk in order to free up the money to pay him $7 million again, and I'm not sold that any team would bring him in on a multi-year starting QB contract. I could happen, or it couldn't.

Drew stays and Taysom interns... (intern = OTJT) Taysom would cost a max of $4.5 million (I think) on a first round tender. Saints could actually re-sign Drew and lock Taysom up for another year for less than $30 million. Then re-sign Taysom to a minimal QB contract in 2021 while paying off the remainder of Drew's dead cap. OR Drew retires and the Saints get Taysom as the starter and pay off Drew's dead cap this year, freeing up the 2021 salary cap. In the first scenario, the Saints could draft a QB and work him up to speed with Taysom, then let the best man win the follwing year while Taysom could still be "Taysom" this coming season.

Drew signs for WAY less than he could get (not likely), Teddy plays for less than last season (also not likely), and Saints retain Taysom for less than a first or second round tender (possible). In this scenario, Saints go into 2020 season with the same QBs they had this year. Long shot at best, but possible. This allows the team to keep the non-QB free agents this year, and pushes the "hard" questions to next year.

In the Saints last game, Taysom Hill threw a football 60 yards to set up a New Orleans TD. The play by QB3 to the WR5 stunned the Minute Sopa defense and fired up the team and the crowd. Drew Brees was standing on the field and likely thinking that the Saints QB1 couldn't throw a ball that high and that far, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Whether or not you believe Drew Brees could make that throw, is not the question. What matters is that when ESPN interviewed Sean Payton and asked if the Saint's HOF QB's abilities had declined, Payton dodged the question saying, "the ball still seems to come out the same." Really, SP? The numbers don't say that.

Up in New England, HC Better-2cheat deflects certain questions so he never has to give too much away. The Saints HC stumbled when asked about moving on from Drew Brees to the spark plug, Taysom Hill. SP observers know the coach was not being open and, since we know the back story, we also know some numbers.

First, Taysom Hill is a RFA for the 2020 season. At 29yo, Hill will be approaching 31yo when he is an UFA in 2021. To better understand the life cycle of NFL contracts, you need to know the numbers and consider the standard length of contracts.

Let's say an athlete, that graduate HS and play four years college ball, starts their NFL career at age 21. A good NFL career may contain three 4-year contracts. That means the player will be 33yo at the third contract. The odds that Taysom Hill will get starting QB1 money at 31yo is unlikely. And, if you remember, Ryan Fitz-magic battled with the NY Jets GM over his QB1 salary.. Plus, players over 30yo are considered to be in decline from their physical peaks: so, management might not pay you even if they like you as a player. Players being over-paid at any position is not an option for many teams and overpaying your QB1 is more risky because the high cap hit means you have less to fill other holes on the team.

Taysom Hill is a good football player who plays all over the field. But, fans have been treated to the army-swiss knife player with this side note from the coaches. Taysom is good enough to play multiple positions on the field and Taysom Hill is QB3.. TE3.. and starts on ST. The numbers show that Taysom is productive all over the field but, trickeration aside, Taysom is not good enough to be the starter at any position on offense.

Back when Payton chose Brees as his QB, the HC passed on Donte Culpepper who was a veteran QB with a stronger arm than Brees. Payton chose the more accurate passer, Drew Brees. Now, with a choice between Bridgewater and Hill, the more accurate and more accomplished passer is clearly Bridgewater. And responding to the ESPN question, SP gave the clearest QB1 call without naming names. He just said. "I believe our next starting QB is in the building."

The numbers don't lie..

GO Saints!!
Allow me to correct you. When SP was asked if Brees’ abilities has declined, he said “Does the ball still come out the same and does the long ball still get down there”. He didn’t completely deflect that question. He admitted that he does monitor if the deep ball is still there with Drew. Now, he didn’t say whether or not he believes Drew can still make those deep throws, but he is at least conscious to it. Everyone knows that Drew isn’t going to throw it 60 yards downfield, but I’m comfortable saying that Drew could sling it 45,48,50 yards if need be. He just needs some down field threats that can actually hit the timing on their routes. Ginn and Drew was not on the same page the past two years and TQS, well.....I’ll keep my comments to myself and that one.

The numbers don't lie..

GO Saints!!
Bridgewater definitely improved game to game. Maybe he just needed the reps.

But he did leave a number of points on the field and at times was off the mark accuracy wise.

Allow me to correct you. When SP was asked if Brees’ abilities has declined, he said “Does the ball still come out the same and does the long ball still get down there”. He didn’t completely deflect that question. He admitted that he does monitor if the deep ball is still there with Drew. Now, he didn’t say whether or not he believes Drew can still make those deep throws, but he is at least conscious to it. Everyone knows that Drew isn’t going to throw it 60 yards downfield, but I’m comfortable saying that Drew could sling it 45,48,50 yards if need be. He just needs some down field threats that can actually hit the timing on their routes. Ginn and Drew was not on the same page the past two years and TQS, well.....I’ll keep my comments to myself and that one.
The long ball is on life support. There were at least a few times Ginn was open with some seapration and Drew didn't pull the trigger with it.

Best case I think he needs a clean pocket and he needs to step into the throw with all he's got, so probably has to be a deliberate shot and he's got little time to wait and read before letting it go.

I recently watched an interview where Payton said maybe Brees isn't hitting the long balls the same as he once was. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. He is still the best option if he plans to return, by far. If Brees was hanging it up and Payton had to choose between Teddy and Tayom, he'd probably go with Teddy. I don't see Teddy sticking around another year as a backup, though when he'll have good offers to start this year. So, I think we'll be left with Taysom and whoever we draft/sign to compete. Payton has said it would be almost impossible to keep all three, and Taysom will obviously be the cheapest, so I don't see him leaving. That leaves Bridgewater as the man out.

I recently watched an interview where Payton said maybe Brees isn't hitting the long balls the same as he once was. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that. He is still the best option if he plans to return, by far. If Brees was hanging it up and Payton had to choose between Teddy and Tayom, he'd probably go with Teddy. I don't see Teddy sticking around another year as a backup, though when he'll have good offers to start this year. So, I think we'll be left with Taysom and whoever we draft/sign to compete. Payton has said it would be almost impossible to keep all three, and Taysom will obviously be the cheapest, so I don't see him leaving. That leaves Bridgewater as the man out.
This is all it comes down to really.

The numbers don't lie..

GO Saints!!

Hot Take Alert

Loose Cannon is def really fitting. That's some Skip Bayless takes right their my friend. Your grasping for straws here and are basing your theory off of assumption.

Look man Taysom Hill is a special Talent, and just because he may have been QB3 l, TE3,WR5, RB3 doesnt mean that he wasnt talented enough to be at the top of the depth chart in almost every single one of those positions.

The only reason he wasnt was bc he had so much value to so many different positions.

The biggest reason Teddy Bridgewater was signed again this offseason was so that Taysom Hill could still be used as a swiss army knife and as a Special Teams player.

Bottom line is this Taysom Hill is a better football player then Teddy Bridgewaterx and whole Teddy is a good QB, he is def nothing spectacular.

If you watch the tape he is very similar to Tyrod Taylor with the exception of being a lot less athletic. Someone who isn't going to take much risk downfield and who's not afraid to check the ball down, even if he could have taken a chance against man coverage. He is usually someone that isn't going to lose you the game, but he is not going to win it for you either.

If you watched the games when Teddy Bridgewater started. Then you know just like I do. Teddy missed at least 5 or 6 throws a game, some of them being critical drive enders.

Those 5 games were won as team. They played stingy defense, great special teams and were very disciplined with the football only turning the ball over twice during that span.

The only game we got rolling on offense was against the worst pass defense in all of the NFL.

Bottom Line Taysom Hill is 3x more talented then Teddy bridgewater and their is a lot to be excited about with Taysom Hill. If you look at what Lamar Jackson did this year how could you not be excited. Especially knowing that Taysom is a more polished passer, who would be accompanied by a better offensive coach in Sean Payton.

All you gotta do is watch the tape

Sean has specifically said he thinks Taysom is a franchise qb.

Coming from the HC of this team and someone who watches him every day in practice, I think it's time for people to put more stock in what our own HC says, who gets paid to do this, rather then random fans who don't really know what they are talking about (no offense).

People get blinded by Teddy gping 5-0 as a starter. Who's to say Taysom wouldn't have either. He probably would have even made it by wider margins.

In saying that the HOF QB Drew Brees still gives this team the best chance to win. Just felt l should say that

And it's "likely" true that Teddy's gone. I used the " " because I'm not 100% certain that's fact. Just "likely".

If Drew doesn't retire, it's highly likely that Teddy finds another team that will either pay him low-starting QB money and a chance to start, or something like the top-dollar back-up QB money we paid him last season. I don't see any way that we could pay that again this season. I actually could be wrong about that though. We could let somebody walk in order to free up the money to pay him $7 million again, and I'm not sold that any team would bring him in on a multi-year starting QB contract. I could happen, or it couldn't.

Drew stays and Taysom interns... (intern = OTJT) Taysom would cost a max of $4.5 million (I think) on a first round tender. Saints could actually re-sign Drew and lock Taysom up for another year for less than $30 million. Then re-sign Taysom to a minimal QB contract in 2021 while paying off the remainder of Drew's dead cap. OR Drew retires and the Saints get Taysom as the starter and pay off Drew's dead cap this year, freeing up the 2021 salary cap. In the first scenario, the Saints could draft a QB and work him up to speed with Taysom, then let the best man win the follwing year while Taysom could still be "Taysom" this coming season.

Drew signs for WAY less than he could get (not likely), Teddy plays for less than last season (also not likely), and Saints retain Taysom for less than a first or second round tender (possible). In this scenario, Saints go into 2020 season with the same QBs they had this year. Long shot at best, but possible. This allows the team to keep the non-QB free agents this year, and pushes the "hard" questions to next year.
Good summary. I'm intrigued to see which way they go, but suspect it will start with option 1 being 'retain Drew above all else'.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom