Fan's Know, The Numbers Don't Work... (1 Viewer)

Still not sold on Teddy. His arm is about like Drew's at his age. If you don't have a strong arm in this league, you better have great accuracy and fast progression reads like Brees. Teddy has neither. He's not even all that great in the pocket, and not that mobile. Not saying he is isn't a good QB, just saying he has no talent that jumps off the screen at you. If Payton is not completely sold on Hill, there will be a trade-up and he will draft a QB, or, grab an underachiever like Mariota as the No2.

Teddy will be somewhere else and Taysom will get a significant increase in plays under center. By mid season next year we will all know which of us is blowing smoke. You can all hold me to this prediction and I will eat crow if I'm wrong.

"Teddy will be struggling and Taysom will be on fire"

Teddy will be somewhere else and Taysom will get a significant increase in plays under center. By mid season next year we will all know which of us is blowing smoke. You can all hold me to this prediction and I will eat crow if I'm wrong.

"Teddy will be struggling and Taysom will be on fire"
I am not saying this is who I think TH is but with all the fan hype of TH as the future QB I cannot stop thinking about the John Fourcade experiment that failed miserably. An exciting player in camp and preseason games but as soon as real games started he was a mental collapse.

I am not saying this is who I think TH is but with all the fan hype of TH as the future QB I cannot stop thinking about the John Fourcade experiment that failed miserably. An exciting player in camp and preseason games but as soon as real games started he was a mental collapse.

We need to see TH play in a real game under game pressure....not a play here'n there, like they're using him up till now. Then it will be crystal clear to everybody. But TH needs to play in a real game as a starter and SP must play him. If SP wants to trade TH, then he needs to drive his stock up.....and nothing can drive a player's stock up better, but a performance in a real game.

I guess some posters here are hell bent to try to stop that....these are the same posters who said that J Burrow was (is) a fraud.....

Why? Because Sean Payton said he is a Franchise QB about a dozen times last week. That it will happen sooner rather than later and SP has more experience that you and more time watching TH than you.

I'm a bit surprised you and Loose Cannon can't figure that out. It is quite simple really.
Yes he does but no one has any evidence that TH can fill the position full-time. There are RBs and WRs that may throw a good pass in a game but no one is projecting them to be a franchise QB. He's an all around good player but everything most people say about him as a full time QB is all talk (coach included). SP hasn't just said TB has starter potential but the team backed it up with money and he started after Drew went down. That's evidence, not talk.
I agree that Teddy may leave because Drew stays and we can't pay all three. I think the argument that a player has never played the position full time on the nfl level in the regular season gives us a better chance than the guy that has is fundamentally flawed.

Hot Take Alert

Loose Cannon is def really fitting. That's some Skip Bayless takes right their my friend. Your grasping for straws here and are basing your theory off of assumption.

Look man Taysom Hill is a special Talent, and just because he may have been QB3 l, TE3,WR5, RB3 doesnt mean that he wasnt talented enough to be at the top of the depth chart in almost every single one of those positions.

The only reason he wasnt was bc he had so much value to so many different positions.

The biggest reason Teddy Bridgewater was signed again this offseason was so that Taysom Hill could still be used as a swiss army knife and as a Special Teams player.

Bottom line is this Taysom Hill is a better football player then Teddy Bridgewaterx and whole Teddy is a good QB, he is def nothing spectacular.

If you watch the tape he is very similar to Tyrod Taylor with the exception of being a lot less athletic. Someone who isn't going to take much risk downfield and who's not afraid to check the ball down, even if he could have taken a chance against man coverage. He is usually someone that isn't going to lose you the game, but he is not going to win it for you either.

If you watched the games when Teddy Bridgewater started. Then you know just like I do. Teddy missed at least 5 or 6 throws a game, some of them being critical drive enders.

Those 5 games were won as team. They played stingy defense, great special teams and were very disciplined with the football only turning the ball over twice during that span.

The only game we got rolling on offense was against the worst pass defense in all of the NFL.

Bottom Line Taysom Hill is 3x more talented then Teddy bridgewater and their is a lot to be excited about with Taysom Hill. If you look at what Lamar Jackson did this year how could you not be excited. Especially knowing that Taysom is a more polished passer, who would be accompanied by a better offensive coach in Sean Payton.

All you gotta do is watch the tape

Sean has specifically said he thinks Taysom is a franchise qb.

Coming from the HC of this team and someone who watches him every day in practice, I think it's time for people to put more stock in what our own HC says, who gets paid to do this, rather then random fans who don't really know what they are talking about (no offense).

People get blinded by Teddy gping 5-0 as a starter. Who's to say Taysom wouldn't have either. He probably would have even made it by wider margins.

In saying that the HOF QB Drew Brees still gives this team the best chance to win. Just felt l should say that

Spot on. I like Teddy to Tyrod comparison. Very fitting.

By The Numbers...

First.. every Saints fan knows who Taysom Hill is.. In the preseason, Taysom Hill struggled at QB playing against guys currently working in Parks and Recreation Departments around the country. Taysom bounced the ball to the WR, but he wasn't playing basketball. He overthrew the WR, DB and everyone on the field. And, after working with Mike McCarthy and Sean Payton, if dude can't throw an accurate pass he better find a spot on Special Teams..

GO Saints!!

Wait, what? Maybe we were watching different games. True Taysom had some misfires in the preseason as did Teddy, however, Taysom's preseason stats were 68% pass completion percentage, and a QBR of 99.8. This is hardly struggling against "guys currently working in Parks and Recreation Departments around the country". Add to that 148 yards rushing and Taysom is a REAL threat at quarterback, IMO.

We need to see TH play in a real game under game pressure....not a play here'n there, like they're using him up till now. Then it will be crystal clear to everybody. But TH needs to play in a real game as a starter and SP must play him. If SP wants to trade TH, then he needs to drive his stock up.....and nothing can drive a player's stock up better, but a performance in a real game.

I guess some posters here are hell bent to try to stop that....these are the same posters who said that J Burrow was (is) a fraud.....

I agree. Teddy looked shaky at times in his first few games as the starter. But the last two games were pretty great. It takes a little time to get up to game speed.

I think the mental gymnastics that some are going through to convince the world that Taysom can't play QB in the NFL are a bit too much. You can't really, fairly judge a guy's accuracy who just ran down on ST, then ran plays as a running back, tight end etc., then has to come in cold and throw a bomb. If Taysom get's reps like other quarterbacks, and has a statistically relevant number of passes in a typical NFL environment, then we can start judging him.

However, sans that, if Drew and Sean Payton say he is an NFL caliber starting quarterback, you either have to take them at face value or call them liars. Since Brees and Payton have more first hand knowledge than the vast majority of posters on this or any other board, I tend to believe them.

Yes he does but no one has any evidence that TH can fill the position full-time. There are RBs and WRs that may throw a good pass in a game but no one is projecting them to be a franchise QB. He's an all around good player but everything most people say about him as a full time QB is all talk (coach included). SP hasn't just said TB has starter potential but the team backed it up with money and he started after Drew went down. That's evidence, not talk.
I agree that Teddy may leave because Drew stays and we can't pay all three. I think the argument that a player has never played the position full time on the nfl level in the regular season gives us a better chance than the guy that has is fundamentally flawed.

SP apparently has sufficient evidence to convince himself you are wrong. On what basis are you claiming more knowledge and more coaching chops than SP?

This whole Teddy started yada yada yada. At the start of the season Teddy was Drew's understudy, His only role was to learn the Saints play book incase what happened, happens.

Taysom was in ST, TE, WR, and QB meetings and drills. It is not possible for Taysom to be a full time understudy and do the rest. When the injury happened Teddy was the one supposedly prepared to step in and he promptly lost to the Rams. It was not a case of we have three QBs all learning and practicing at the QB position exclusively and to pick who is better.

In your opinion TH is not a franchise QB. I get that. A group of you have never missed a chance to tell everyone that.

In my opinion TB is a middling QB who be only as good as the team he plays behind.

TH in contrast can elevate any team he leads to be better than they were; in my opinion..

Around Nov. we will all know who was right.

Be patient.

Let's look at the numbers..

In the Saints last game, Taysom Hill threw a football 60 yards to set up a New Orleans TD. The play by QB3 to the WR5 stunned the Minute Sopa defense and fired up the team and the crowd. Drew Brees was standing on the field and likely thinking that the Saints QB1 couldn't throw a ball that high and that far, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Whether or not you believe Drew Brees could make that throw, is not the question. What matters is that when ESPN interviewed Sean Payton and asked if the Saint's HOF QB's abilities had declined, Payton dodged the question saying, "the ball still seems to come out the same." Really, SP? The numbers don't say that.

Up in New England, HC Better-2cheat deflects certain questions so he never has to give too much away. The Saints HC stumbled when asked about moving on from Drew Brees to the spark plug, Taysom Hill. SP observers know the coach was not being open and, since we know the back story, we also know some numbers.

First, Taysom Hill is a RFA for the 2020 season. At 29yo, Hill will be approaching 31yo when he is an UFA in 2021. To better understand the life cycle of NFL contracts, you need to know the numbers and consider the standard length of contracts.

Let's say an athlete, that graduate HS and play four years college ball, starts their NFL career at age 21. A good NFL career may contain three 4-year contracts. That means the player will be 33yo at the third contract. The odds that Taysom Hill will get starting QB1 money at 31yo is unlikely. And, if you remember, Ryan Fitz-magic battled with the NY Jets GM over his QB1 salary.. Plus, players over 30yo are considered to be in decline from their physical peaks: so, management might not pay you even if they like you as a player. Players being over-paid at any position is not an option for many teams and overpaying your QB1 is more risky because the high cap hit means you have less to fill other holes on the team.

Taysom Hill is a good football player who plays all over the field. But, fans have been treated to the army-swiss knife player with this side note from the coaches. Taysom is good enough to play multiple positions on the field and Taysom Hill is QB3.. TE3.. and starts on ST. The numbers show that Taysom is productive all over the field but, trickeration aside, Taysom is not good enough to be the starter at any position on offense.

Back when Payton chose Brees as his QB, the HC passed on Donte Culpepper who was a veteran QB with a stronger arm than Brees. Payton chose the more accurate passer, Drew Brees. Now, with a choice between Bridgewater and Hill, the more accurate and more accomplished passer is clearly Bridgewater. And responding to the ESPN question, SP gave the clearest QB1 call without naming names. He just said. "I believe our next starting QB is in the building."

The numbers don't lie..

GO Saints!!
TLDR

source.gif

I did a post in another thread with Teddy's career stats. Something like: 1st year = mainly bench, 2nd year = playoffs with the most conservative offense in the league where he was being held back by scheme, 3rd Yr = devastating injury. 2018 bench for Saints, 2019, starts 1st significant game in 3 years and goes 5-0. Someone has to tell me why Teddy, under a top offensive mind like SP, can and won't continue to get better and better. I think we are crazy to let him go. He's a proven commodity and whether we want to admit this or not, and I expect a lot of opposition, the entire team played better under Teddy than Brees. I don't think this team would have lost to Minny with Teddy under center. Minny could not bring in their DBs close to the line like they did with Brees when Teddy is at QB. He can throw deep and accurately. And the defense just seems to play lights out for Teddy

I did a post in another thread with Teddy's career stats. Something like: 1st year = mainly bench, 2nd year = playoffs with the most conservative offense in the league where he was being held back by scheme, 3rd Yr = devastating injury. 2018 bench for Saints, 2019, starts 1st significant game in 3 years and goes 5-0. Someone has to tell me why Teddy, under a top offensive mind like SP, can and won't continue to get better and better. I think we are crazy to let him go. He's a proven commodity and whether we want to admit this or not, and I expect a lot of opposition, the entire team played better under Teddy than Brees. I don't think this team would have lost to Minny with Teddy under center. Minny could not bring in their DBs close to the line like they did with Brees when Teddy is at QB. He can throw deep and accurately. And the defense just seems to play lights out for Teddy
Thats just a dumb take. Teddy Bridgewater playing over Drew Brees against Minnesota wouldnt have been the difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom