Fantastic Athletic article with Ireland on the draft. Also, we didn’t want to trade up for Mac (2 Viewers)

We’re at the point where some people are convinced that Payton and Ireland are lying. Their evidence is a rumor championed by a couple of Patriots beat writers, Lombardi and Howe.

Just let them believe what they want to believe.
Have Payton and/or Ireland ever said they did not try and trade up for a QB? The rumor just does not seem that far fetched to me. It is really not an issue as it did not happen (as many attempts of trades never pan out). Not sure why it would upset some if they did try to trade up for a QB.

Have Payton and/or Ireland ever said they did not try and trade up for a QB? The rumor just does not seem that far fetched to me. It is really not an issue as it did not happen (as many attempts of trades never pan out). Not sure why it would upset some if they did try to trade up for a QB.
Sean Payton said in an interview with Rich Eisen that they were trying to trade up for one of the top two corners, Horn and Surtain, and that once they were picked they decided to stay at 28.

He could have said we tried to trade up for the corners but once they were gone we tried to trade up for a QB, but he explicitly did not say that.

Ireland went on to say, "We're not the old school awesome LBer. We're not that. We're not the old Derrick Brooks type of LBer who was really, really good at football. We don't want Brian Urlacher. We want one good LBer and then the other LBs just sort of do things after the ball is snapped. If it's a run I want our LBs to be dropping back into coverage. If it's a pass I want a LBer who looks like they have never played the game before. That way the opposing offense never knows what to expect because we don't know what to expect."

We’re at the point where some people are convinced that Payton and Ireland are lying. Their evidence is a rumor championed by a couple of Patriots beat writers, Lombardi and Howe.

Just let them believe what they want to believe.

You left out someone.

Isn't Dianna Russini from Jersey?

She's the one I heard it from on air and even linked to above.

So either all these people are lying because they love to spread baseless rumors which can hurt their reputation or the Saints' brass isn't being entirely forthcoming.

Furthermore, why wouldn't they want to disavow any involvement now that they are stuck with Taysom and Winston?

They clearly were looking for a QB, that much is obvious from the selection of Book.

Sean Payton said in an interview with Rich Eisen that they were trying to trade up for one of the top two corners, Horn and Surtain, and that once they were picked they decided to stay at 28.

He could have said we tried to trade up for the corners but once they were gone we tried to trade up for a QB, but he explicitly did not say that.

Of course he did.

Why add unnecessary drama and tension to the locker room parading around the fact that you tried desperately to replace both your starting QB's?

That's like confessing to your wife that you were flirting with the hot waiter chicks at Hooters.

I can think of a reason why it would upset a few peope.🤣🤣🤣🙃🙃🙃

Why do so many people here hate the idea of Jones coming here.🤔🤔🤔

😎😎😎😎😎

At any rate, It sucks that he went to the Patriots. Belichick's Defense is nearly always top 10 no matter what and if he is remotely close to the player that I think he is then The AFC and NFL could be in a ton of trouble in the next few years again.

Ireland went on to say, "We're not the old school awesome LBer. We're not that. We're not the old Derrick Brooks type of LBer who was really, really good at football. We don't want Brian Urlacher. We want one good LBer and then the other LBs just sort of do things after the ball is snapped. If it's a run I want our LBs to be dropping back into coverage. If it's a pass I want a LBer who looks like they have never played the game before. That way the opposing offense never knows what to expect because we don't know what to expect."
Ok, No. Stop.

This just makes my brain hurt.

What does he mean that they just want one good linebacker?

What was the point of trading for Kwon Alexander then?

Why take Werner in round 2?

Of course he did.

Why add unnecessary drama and tension to the locker room parading around the fact that you tried desperately to replace both your starting QB's?

That's like confessing to your wife that you were flirting with the hot waiter chicks at Hooters.
Sean Payton has never exhibited the kind of sensitivity you are talking about when it comes to drafting players to add to the roster. You are just going to have to come to the rather obvious conclusion that Payton wasn’t as high on Jones as you are.

Sean Payton has never exhibited the kind of sensitivity you are talking about when it comes to drafting players to add to the roster. You are just going to have to come to the rather obvious conclusion that Payton wasn’t as high on Jones as you are.
More like I can content myself with the fact that they never explicitly denied that they were interested in trading up for Jones which is satisfying enough.

The Saints were literally the only team that these rumors were swirling about on draft day from half a dozen different places.

I don't believe for a second that the Saints didn't want the last first round QB especially after reaching for Book.

More like I can content myself with the fact that they never explicitly denied that they were interested in trading up for Jones which is satisfying enough.

The Saints were literally the only team that these rumors were swirling about on draft day from half a dozen different places.

I don't believe for a second that the Saints didn't want the last first round QB especially after reaching for Book.
Yeah I got it. The Saints drafted Ian Book so they obviously wanted Mac Jones. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah I got it. The Saints drafted Ian Book so they obviously wanted Mac Jones. Makes perfect sense.
They wanted a starting caliber QB so they obviously thought enough of this guy to take him in round 4.

When they took Grayson nearly that high Payton was falling over himself talking about preparing for Drew's retirement.

I highly doubt that Book was their number 1 choice at Qb anymore than I believe that Adebo was ranked higher on their board than Surtain or Horn.

The difference is I accept the information as likely true that they were interested in several different players as well as Jones.

I'm not just going around cherry-picking reports that make me feel good. They all seem plausible as well as likely.

I'm not just going around cherry-picking reports that make me feel good. They all seem plausible as well as likely.
But you don’t believe the reports from Jay Glazer, Jeff Duncan, Sean Payton etc. Those are neither likely nor plausible?

Or the one from Mike Detelier, from two weeks before the draft, when he said he thought the Saints were going to take Book in the 3rd round?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom