Fascinating story on emergence of K Wil Lutz (1 Viewer)

This coaching staff and front office has shown through the years that they have not been able to evaluate, draft or free agency, several positions. Kicker has been a thorn in our side for years. Garrett Hartley was the closet thing we've found to a stable kicker in quite some time. Now we cut two veterans and sign a completely unproven rookie we had under contract on our practice squad already. Maybe there were rumblings of another team trying to sign him. I honestly doubt that as he had just been released and that team could have offered him a contract then. We cut a kicker in Barth that went 23 of 28 last year and for most of his career has been fairly reliable. He was on the street because Tampa decided it needed to spend a second round pick on a kicker. We keep Kai Forbath over Barth and then a couple days later cut him for a rookie? I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are tossing darts in the air and hoping one of them sticks.

I want to see what happens if and when he misses a couple kicks? Do we cut him and sign back Forbath? Hopefully we don't get to that, but history has shown us most rookies struggle a bit, kickers are no different.

Lovely article on how the Ravens coaching staff improved his kicking game, but what about McMahon. Will McMahon improve or hinder his development?

Lovely article on how the Ravens coaching staff improved his kicking game, but what about McMahon. Will McMahon improve or hinder his development?
There's nothing wrong with McMahon or his coaching. But what about Stan Kwan? We haven't had a good kicker since he's been here. They've only had one winning season since he arrived. That's just too big of a coincidence in my opinion.

It's all Kwan's fault. Fact.

Pretty cool of Harbaugh to groom him knowing he was going with Tucker. And then to offer him up to Payton.

Indeed - but also, underlying it all there is a football fraternity and a coaches fraternity . . . and Sean has certainly proven that he has the respect of his peers. Here, you have a coach in Harbaugh with a young player who has earned his respect but for whom he doesn't really have roster spot. In turning Payton on to him, he's got a respected coach in the opposite conference who has been spotty at kicker lately . . . it's just a win for everybody.

Except Forbath, I suppose.

So, has the warranty expired on Lutz yet? Can we turn him back in to the Ravens for another kicker off the street?

So, has the warranty expired on Lutz yet? Can we turn him back in to the Ravens for another kicker off the street?

Knowing how Payton works I wouldn't be surprised if Lutz gets cut tomorrow. Not saying it's right or wrong, it just wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing how Payton works I wouldn't be surprised if Lutz gets cut tomorrow. Not saying it's right or wrong, it just wouldn't surprise me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno, Payton said he's going to kick here a long time.

Of course, Payton also cut both our kicker and punter in London before they got on the flight home in 2008, so who knows.

I don't think he gets judged like that on 1 game. Tough situation for him to be in. The missed 50 is the one that really hurt us. The missed 61 is something he shouldn't have been in the position to have to try and make. He definitely had the leg for it though. That 50 is a kick he'll have to make again at some point....can't be missing those on a regular basis. I'm willing to wait a couple more games to see what we have there. He'll settle down a bit I'm sure and get some confidence.....hopefully. With kickers is all about confidence. You have to ask yourselves if you think Forbath would've made those 2 kicks. The 50 maybe....the 61 most likely not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom