Fathers in jail (2 Viewers)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
from the washington post. I liked the article. It would probably be a good thing if this was more widespread
===========================================================

RICHMOND — The girls ages 6 to 16 sit in order of size in the drab lobby of the Richmond City Jail, their glittery shoes swinging back and forth.

“I don’t like it here,” says Jhaniyika Morman, 6, who covers her eyes, smudging her blue eye shadow and pointing toward the jail’s visitation booths, where inmates are separated from their visitors by thick glass.

“I’m nervous. I hope he recognizes me,” mumbles Alexis Atkins, 9, who has her blond hair curled into long ringlets and keeps zipping and unzipping her hot-pink purse.

Down the hall, through several gates and inside a communal cell with thick blue bars, 12 inmates change from their frayed one-piece jumpsuits into formal attire. They pass belts and shirts of various sizes back and forth between the tight rows of steel bunk beds.

“Anyone know how to do up this here tie?” asks a jittery looking Andre Morman, 42, who has been in and out of jail on drug charges numerous times.

Then the inmates line up, too. They walk down a long hallway and wait in silence to get a glimpse of the girls: their daughters.

For a few hours on this Saturday afternoon, the incarcerated fathers will be allowed to take part in an American tradition, the father-daughter dance. “A Dance of Their Own,” thought to be the only event of its kind in the country, will be in the jail’s small, windowless multipurpose room.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...833af4-90a9-11e2-9abd-e4c5c9dc5e90_story.html

from the washington post. I liked the article. It would probably be a good thing if this was more widespread
===========================================================

RICHMOND — The girls ages 6 to 16 sit in order of size in the drab lobby of the Richmond City Jail, their glittery shoes swinging back and forth.

“I don’t like it here,” says Jhaniyika Morman, 6, who covers her eyes, smudging her blue eye shadow and pointing toward the jail’s visitation booths, where inmates are separated from their visitors by thick glass.

“I’m nervous. I hope he recognizes me,” mumbles Alexis Atkins, 9, who has her blond hair curled into long ringlets and keeps zipping and unzipping her hot-pink purse.

Down the hall, through several gates and inside a communal cell with thick blue bars, 12 inmates change from their frayed one-piece jumpsuits into formal attire. They pass belts and shirts of various sizes back and forth between the tight rows of steel bunk beds.

“Anyone know how to do up this here tie?” asks a jittery looking Andre Morman, 42, who has been in and out of jail on drug charges numerous times.

Then the inmates line up, too. They walk down a long hallway and wait in silence to get a glimpse of the girls: their daughters.

For a few hours on this Saturday afternoon, the incarcerated fathers will be allowed to take part in an American tradition, the father-daughter dance. “A Dance of Their Own,” thought to be the only event of its kind in the country, will be in the jail’s small, windowless multipurpose room.

A father-daughter dance

This thread will quickly turn into a mess so I will wait to comment later. I found the bolded part concerning. Six years old and wearing eye shadow?!?

I am not sure why it should be a mess. I saw this last week on some TV show. I have no problem with it. I am sure that this was not meant for the whole prison; just those who have shown good behavior. The prisons need reward programs for inmates that act as though they will merge back into society well.

I am not sure why it should be a mess. I saw this last week on some TV show. I have no problem with it. I am sure that this was not meant for the whole prison; just those who have shown good behavior. The prisons need reward programs for inmates that act as though they will merge back into society well.

I think that it helps the inmates maintain some contact with their humanity and family and allows the daughters to keep a relationship with their fathers.

I have no problem with it either and think that it's a great idea. They should do something similar with the sons too. (obviously not a dance, but something)

I thought for sure that by this time, this thread would be 5 pages long filled with posts about putting non-violent drug offenders in prison and then morphed into a legalize marijuana debate.

I have no problem with the father-daughter dance. You have to keep these people that will be locked up for 10 years a means of staying connected with the outside in hopes that they have a desire to get out and return to being productive members of society.

I have actually altered my views and do not like locking up non-violent criminals for long periods of time. When you do, you almost guarantee that they will come out broken men. I would prefer to see more of a work release type setup where they are allowed to go to work during the day and return to prison at night. Maybe a weekend here and there at home.

Taking away dad for 15 years can lead to bad things for the kids.

It's silly that we're locking people up for drugs anyway unless they're selling them. I don't even do drugs, but it's highly ridiculous that the Govt thinks it's their job to regulate what we put into our own bodies.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom