Favorite Board game of all time? (1 Viewer)

seandroog

USFL superstar!
Reaction score
I grew up loving board games and card games. I'm back on a kick of buying board games and wanted to know if there were any must gets?

I haven't played it, but everyone says Settlers of Catan is a must get. I grew up playing Conquest of the Empire and Risk, but my wife doesn't like those long strategy games so we play games like Scrabble or Taboo if we're playing any board game. I find Risk, Monopoly and other wildly popular games to take way too long to play often enough. Games like Trivial pursuit just seem to make me feel really dumb for not knowing who the UN amassador of the US was in 1987.

I stumbled onto this game recently, looks like a lot of fun:
Cards Against Humanity
Anyone here played it? I've played some rather nerdy card games in my youth, but this looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Risk is mine but it is long. People who know how to play Monopoly can knock down a game in less than an hour, typically.

Settlers of Catan is quite fun. There are a number of online variants that will let you try before you buy (although I agree that there is something about the physical board game that makes it better). The iOS version is quite good.

Additionally, I think most of the expansions are board-game-only, so there's that.

Settlers of Catan is quite fun. There are a number of online variants that will let you try before you buy (although I agree that there is something about the physical board game that makes it better). The iOS version is quite good.

Additionally, I think most of the expansions are board-game-only, so there's that.

Yeah I've made the digital switch to almost everything. I'm still a sucker for board games, though. I've heard that Settlers is actually pretty fast paced.

Risk is my all time favorite board game. Problem now is it is hard to play since everything is digital. I used to have a digital copy of it.

Risk is mine but it is long. People who know how to play Monopoly can knock down a game in less than an hour, typically.

I actually can't remember the last time I played Monopoly and someone didn't quit because there was no hope of them winning.

Funny thing about the game monopoly:
The Landlord's Game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

it ripped off another game that had more of a moral to it than "steal all your grandma's money and laugh as your little brother lands on your hotel again"

I haven't played it in years, but I loved Stratego as a kid.

Risk has always been my favorite - I can remember epic 5-6 hour games in college. Whereas with the variant of Monopoly known as Drinking Monopoly - where you could pay debt off with shots or mixed drinks - we usually couldn't make it past 30 minutes or so before forgetting all decorum.

Outside of either of these, Strat-O-Matic football ruled my young life. Nowadays I can't find anyone else to play in person ...

Trivial Pursuit......
Any Scene It game.....

Not really a board game, but Apples to Apples is pretty fun.....

Scatagories

Cranium (a less intense version of trivial pursuit, that also mixes in some charades/pictionary/clay modeling).

Balderdash

Without a doubt!

tumblr_mez227E8Qf1rr7wnno1_1280.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom