Favorite But Underrated Movies (4 Viewers)

If we’re doing old Cary grant movies I’ll add Mr Blandings builds his dream house

Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and pick a movie that was pretty much universally panned but one I really like.

220px-Speed_racer_ver5_xlg.jpg

It was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid and I think the Wachowski's did a great job of creating a live action anime. There's just an energy that drives through the whole movie. The scene transitions are so creative and well done. I know it's easy to see this movie as style over substance, but I really think that's selling it short. The camera movements and unique transitions really work together to create a kinetic energy that sustains the movie. It's so visually interesting. Susan Sarandon and John Goodman play it straight and bring actual emotion to their roles as Speed's mom and dad. It's filled with bright neon colors, fun cartoony vilians, and just over the top camera work. Oh and of course Racer X! And Christina Ricci!
I'm sure I won't get much support on this one but it's just one of those personal favorites that takes a fun cartoon and turns it into a fun movie.

i used to be just so-so with facial recognition now i supersuck at it
anyway, several had mentioned Buckaroo Banzai and i decided to put it on (it's on Amazon)
anyway, can't believe i never realized this before
tumblr_p3fgg6v8dp1sofz2xo1_500.gif

=
banks11.jpg

i can hear it much better than i can see it

I love stumbling across Jonathan Banks in '80s movies.

(PG-13 language)

Jonathan Banks in "Airplane!"

It was also a bit of a squeal moment for me when I realized he was voicing this guy in The Incredibles 2:

latest

The voice actor from the original died in early 2018.

EDIT: Hunh, you embedded the Airplane! clip, but in some weird hidden version that doesn't show up unless you expand the quoted post. Weird.

Last edited:
Big Trouble in Little China.
The Jerk.
Planes Trains and Automobiles.
Twins.
Green Room.
Wind River.
Minority Report.
The Last Starfighter.

Last edited:
Pieces of April

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom