Favorite Car of the 1960s (1 Viewer)

Photo contest

filmed in live traffic with out the proper permits. The driver is Bill Hickman. He's the same driver who drove the Charger in Bullit. He told
director Bill Friedkin ride with me if you have the balls :)

Last edited:
Thing is not one of these cars out of the factory could touch a new V-8 Camaro or Challenger. I’ve driven quite a few 60’s muscle cars, even hemi that was put into a Coronet. None would beat a new SS Camaro. While the back end was going up in smoke and trying to get traction, the SS would be. 1/4 of the way down the track. Even my full race Ram Air IV that my father in law dropped into a 75 Trans Am would’ve been tough to beat it.

Thing is not one of these cars out of the factory could touch a new V-8 Camaro or Challenger. I’ve driven quite a few 60’s muscle cars, even hemi that was put into a Coronet. None would beat a new SS Camaro. While the back end was going up in smoke and trying to get traction, the SS would be. 1/4 of the way down the track. Even my full race Ram Air IV that my father in law dropped into a 75 Trans Am would’ve been tough to beat it.

My iPhone has more computing power than the whole Apollo space project. :shrug:

That's fair since neither the new V-8 Camaro nor the new Challenger could out corner the average Japanese sedan. :)

True, Technology will always improve. That said, GM under reported the actual horsepower for the L 88 corvette for insurance
purposes. They were listed at 435 HP, but in reality it was closer to 650 HP. L 88's could run 11 second 1/4 miles straight off the
show room floor. That's hauling butt my friend. put a set of N 50 drag slicks on the rear wheels and we are talking 10's

Last edited:
True, Technology will always improve. That said, GM under reported the actual horsepower for the L 88 corvette for insurance
purposes. They were listed at 435 HP, but in reality it was closer to 650 HP. L 88's could run 11 second 1/4 miles straight off the
show room floor. That's hauling butt my friend. put a set of N 50 drag slicks on the rear wheels and we are talking 10's

When you bought a 1970 Chevelle SS which was nominally rated at 450HP, Chevy put additional bolt-on accessories in the trunk which raised the horsepower to 550 or so. However, I believe they measured at the crank as opposed to BHP. At any rate, all manufacturers understated the horsepower figures for insurance purposes :hihi:

Chevrolet has always done a great job of supporting hot-rodders, and their aftermarket products were fairly cheap and easy to bolt on. Hence the ongoing love for the 350 small-block.

I think Moparians would call that purple "Plum Crazy"! And I'd have voted for any Challenger from about '68 to the early 70's. The thread title referenced "favorite car of the 1960s" and you posted a 1970. But technically, it was introduced in 1969, so judges should allow it. Chuck wins! end of thread...

Ive heard them called "date grape."

Chevrolet has always done a great job of supporting hot-rodders, and their aftermarket products were fairly cheap and easy to bolt on. Hence the ongoing love for the 350 small-block.

That was the true beauty of GM. Parts from their various divisions were interchangeable. I had a 77 monza spyder The intake came of a
68 olds 442 and the headers came off a 69 pontiac firebird. Junkyards were literally gold mines for shopping back in my hot rodding days

There were numerous homologated race cars (production packages sold in the exact volume to qualify for their "production" racing class) that were faster back in the day , that's just not accurate .

Last edited:
That was the true beauty of GM. Parts from their various divisions were interchangeable. I had a 77 monza spyder The intake came of a
68 olds 442 and the headers came off a 69 pontiac firebird. Junkyards were literally gold mines for shopping back in my hot rodding days
You had Chevy , and you had BOP (buickoldspontiac). Mopar was all Mopar ...

That's fair since neither the new V-8 Camaro nor the new Challenger could out corner the average Japanese sedan. :)
Half true ... The Challenger , in all forms , is a sled but the newest badass Camaro , I want to say ZL1 ? (don't quote me...) is quite an impressive road car for the genre , you'd have to go pretty high end Japanese to compete ...

ZL1 1LE

and now I just feel dirty ...

Last edited:
My first car was a Corvair and then a 66 Ford Mustang with 289 engine and 3 speed transmission. I loved that Mustang, but I totaled it after flipping it at a small country road bridge. I then got a Dodge Dart GT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom