Favorite Car of the 1960s (1 Viewer)

Photo contest

That's fair since neither the new V-8 Camaro nor the new Challenger could out corner the average Japanese sedan. :)
My wife owns the Camaro, my daughter the Challenger. The Challenger handles like your average car, the Camaro I disagree strongly with. I’ve driven my coworkers loaded accord. Nope won’t stand up to the Camaro. You really need to drive more before making dumb statements like this. This generation of Camaro is simply a reskinned Cadillac.

I'm guessing you didn't click , absolutely no chance you run lap times anywhere close to that car in a miata ... It's a 5 link with active electro magnetic shocks and adjustable bars ...
I get it , Miatas are fun , but that's just silly . This is not Billy Joe's Camaro from back in the day .
MX-5 skidpad averaged .91g , very respectable . The ZL1 1LE averaged 1.12 , it would pass you at will at any point on the track .
I had a 1976 MGB with a decked cylinder head, twin side-draft Webers, a header and ANSA sprint exhaust. All of that boosted it to maybe 110-115 HP, but in that little car (curb weight 2230lbs) it would scoot. I had 205 Pirelli's all around. I remember having the top down and headed to the beach. I'd come barrel-******* in 3rd gear onto Rt50 at 60mph in a drift, hold the drift until I hit the acceleration lane, correct, and as soon as the wheels bit shift into 4th and punch it. I'd do 80-90mph all the way to Ocean City. Of all the cars I've owned, that MG was without a doubt the most fun to drive. :)

The MG was also a chick magnet. I'd pull up to a stop light and wind up next to the bus stop. A young woman would say "I love your car!" "Hop in" and more than one obliged. If they climbed over the door without opening it, I was set :mwink:

I don't think it would corner with my 2000 Z28, but it still beat the Camaro for fun to drive...and was a bigger chick magnet :hihi:

Last edited:
No you didn’t, not unless someone had cahnged engines. The 68 4-4-2 would’ve used a 400 Oldsmobile engine which is very much different than a 69 firebird which would’ve used either a 350 or 400 Pontiac engine, which had absolutely no interchangeability to the 350/400 small block Chevy. I’ve built all 3. GM didn’t go corporate until the 73 year as a whole and that was because of emissions and it was cheaper to certify 1 engine/transmission than a bunch of similar ones. The Pontiac 400 couldn’t pass California emissions which is why California firebirds and trans ams had the 403 Olds engine. Yet again entirely different engine families. ( which is why my wife’s 77Trans Am was rebuilt with a W-30 455 Olds instead of the 455 HO Pontiac engine that was laying in the garage.
way too much, um... math?

nerds

The small block chevrolet earned that rep more through ubiquity of all the variations moreso than interchangeability . Mopar Performance (Direct Connection back then) has led the way in performance parts and availability and again , the interchangeability , basically any big block from anything fits , big car , motorhome , industrial wedge motors , other than application specific accessories , everything goes .
In drag racing , small blocks are for tiny tiny cars , grown ups run big blocks ... Non hemi Mopar big blocks are , even today , the cheapest and most interchangeable big blocks . Of course the Hemi is the standard by which all are judged ...
No argument there. If you want to spend the big bucks, Big blocks are the way to go. During my day, Muldowney and Garlits were
running 426 Hemi's. I couldn't afford to write checks for parts that kept them running. For a few thousand bucks, you could make a
small block chevy run in the 9's. That was fast enough for me

Honestly, with all the cars I’ve driven my GTO is probably one of my least favorite. Possibly because the sentimental value holds me back from truly enjoying it.

No argument there. If you want to spend the big bucks, Big blocks are the way to go. During my day, Muldowney and Garlits were
running 426 Hemi's. I couldn't afford to write checks for parts that kept them running. For a few thousand bucks, you could make a
small block chevy run in the 9's. That was fast enough for me
If you're ever in north Florida , and my condolences if you are , The Garlits Museum is a must see , even if you're not that in to cars . I've been at least ten times and see really neat new stuff every time , it's really an amazing time capsule and honestly should be in buildings much larger . It's jam packed with awesome . Sometimes the man himself is even there as his shop is also on the property , might even get to see the electric dragster he's campaigning now .

In case I wasn't clear , Don Garlits is a dad-gum American Treasure . Even though he'd make a face if you said that as he does not use profanity ...

eta : lol @ dad gum , better than dad goo , I guess

In case I wasn't clear , Don Garlits is a dad-gum American Treasure . Even though he'd make a face if you said that as he does not use profanity ...

eta : lol @ dad gum , better than dad goo , I guess
From Wikipedia
"In May 2014 at age 82, Garlits set a 184 mph (296 km/h) speed record with Swamp Rat 37, a 2,000 hp battery-powered EV dragster .[15] In July 2019 at age 87, he set a new quarter-mile record of 189.03 mph (304.21 km/h) with Swamp Rat 38, a 1,500 lb dragster with a battery-powered 800 hp electric motor."

That's what I aspire to be doing at 87 :)

I love old cars, love looking at them - I can watch those classic car auction shows for hours. But I don't want one.

Our minivan has the same 0-60 time as a '67 Mustang. And it has airbags, bluetooth, and really good A/C.

Cars built back then were deathtraps compared today.

Even in the last 15-20 years has seen quite bit of improvement in safety.

Cars built back then were deathtraps compared today.

Even in the last 15-20 years has seen quite bit of improvement in safety.

No argument here either, GM pick up trucks had hoods that were basically guilliotines in head on collisions during
this era

Pretty sure even lap belts were optional in '59

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom