Favorite Games From Bad Seasons (1 Viewer)

In 2012 when we blanked Tampa Bay 41-0 whilst having the worst defense in the history of Worst Defenses.

That was a great win, the bucs game in 2015 with the walk-off run by Khiry was great too.

In 1993 we beat the 49ers with a last-minute kick to go 4-0, only to finish the year 8-8.

In 2001 we beat the Rams in an impressive road comeback to go 4-2, but finished the year 7-9.

Both of those games were great.

Oooh that reminds me of the Dallas game from that year.
The walk off wheel route TD to Spiller in overtime.

That was an awesome win!!
Outside of the SB year, that was one of the most satisfying Saints victories ever. I replayed the ending of that game so many times, I have every single nuance burned into my brain.

The Dallas players walking off the field, that being Drew's 400th touchdown, that fist pump he gave after making it. Tony Romo's sad, mushy face on the sideline. The dude making the laps with the Saints flag. My Cowboy coworker saying he thought the game was over, but came running back downstairs when it went to OT and not making it to the bottom step before it was really over.

Dude...everything about that ending was most satisfactory.

Nov 20 1988

Saints beat the Broncos 42-0 in a perfect game.

Then the Saints lost 3 out the last 4 games finishing 10-6, 3rd place in the division, missing the playoffs.

Last edited:
Man...these games have one thing in common...Our defense was really bad. Looking back, how can that be?

It really is incredible to think that our defenses were so bad that teams with Drew Brees in his prime finished .500 or worse 6 out of 14 seasons. Just unreal. Sean Payton teams led by a prime Brees finished 7-9 in 4 out of 5 seasons from '12 to '16.

Some of Drew's best work came in those down years. He heroically carried some all time terrible defenses to 7 wins. One example was in 2014 against the Steelers. The Saints limped into Heinz field at 4-7 coming off of 3 straight losses. So Brees throws 5 TDs to 5 different players to get a road win in Pittsburgh in November.

Nov 20 1988

Saints beat the Broncos 42-0 in a perfect game.

Then the Saints lost 3 out the last 4 games finishing 10-6, 3rd place in the division, missing the playoffs.

The Broncos went on to the Super Bowl.
That was a fun game but I think the Bengals went to the 88-89 Super Bowl.

That was a fun game but I think the Bengals went to the 88-89 Super Bowl.

Ah, you’re right. Edited for correctness.

Somehow, that lightens the load a little bit. My memory has been failing as I get older.

Alot of great choices from those 7-9 seasons under Payton....

But one that stands out to me has always been that week 17 game @ Carolina in 2004. Both the Saints and Panthers had gotten off to rough starts, but were clawing back to try to get a final spot in the playoffs. The Saints after Haslett's first season always seemed to be very much in the hunt in December, but would typically lose within the last few weeks of the season (or THE last game, in the case of 2002) to eliminate any playoff possibility.

They were a 4-8 team who managed to string together 3 straight wins (aided greatly by Jim Mora, Jr's decision to rest Michael Vick in week 16).......and needed to win outright and NOT end up in a 3-way tie at 8-8 with the Vikings and Rams.

Well, the latter did occur, as a result of Doug Brien missing a few FGs for the Jets, which enabled the Rams to win and get to 8-8.......but I was so proud of the way Aaron Brooks put together one of his most efficient, albeit not spectacular, games of the season. There was no smiling, or clumsy, random turnovers.......in a game they had to have, he stepped up and played like a leader.

Katrina certainly put an end to whatever career momentum he was starting to accumulate as a QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom