Favorite Local Bands (1 Viewer)

Severum

Staff member
Administrator
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Our last thread for this was 5 years ago so I thought an updated more media/link heavy thread might be good. Share any of your favorite local (city or region) artists from your current or previous home territory. I'm especially interested in those with less national recognition, but all are welcome.

I'll kick things off with a couple of my favorites from Bellingham, WA which any photo thread browsers have already seen a few times:

Br'er Rabbit is a relatively new band that inhabits their own folk-stomp Americana genre. They've self-released one s/t EP and recently launched a Kickstarter to begin recording a new album. They are touring down the West Coast this month if anyone in the area wants to catch a great live performance. Their Daytrotter session can be streamed via their site and here's a live recording from the Northest Folklife Festival (both lacking the new bassist).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QmkyPxadHTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JDokJGVDDrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Polecat has been around a few more years and mix progressive bluegrass with a variety of genres into stompgrass. They've self released one s/t EP and two albums. They regularly tour the West Coast and Mountain West and put on a great live show.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iq5z8_n9FuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m-cHCCbOn-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Louisiana/NO artists should be well represented by others so I'll hold off on those for now.

No takers yet? Guess I'll add some Louisiana artists that I used to qualify as local to.

Sonny Landreth should be familiar to most here, unparalleled slide guitarist from Lafayette/Breaux Bridge. A couple of his few live videos which weren't seemingly recorded with a banana:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CCmBAn-2hTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4Wxpd_K3wN4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Lost Bayou Ramblers are a progressive Cajun band from Lafayette that blend new and traditional Cajun music with rock influence. They have 5 albums available via Bandcamp. Never saw them play in LA, but luckily they made it up to Bellingham last year.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KAPTjyShUak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kLZbZNy-DQg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One Bad Son... local boys from my city. Moved to Vancouver a few years ago and they are starting to get noticed.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m8s2wqH4Y6c?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u5KiY98_Qco?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They pretty much qualify as local for me, but I'm not too versed on the Vancouver scene. Hadn't heard them, very GNResque.

I did see Vancouver's folk storyteller Ben Rogers open for JJ Grey at Venue earlier this year. Thought his set was great and have enjoyed his albums.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pa5WZb5I_fQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/M4bGyOWJmBQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some other localish (40 miles southwest across the Salish Sea) Canadian favorites are The Sweet Lowdown. They are a female trio that mix folk, bluegrass, and vocal harmony. Played several great sets here at this year's Stringband Jamboree. They play weekly in Victoria at The Fernwood Inn when not touring.

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/54170505" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/38713146" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/38713146">

I gotta say you're a wealth of musical knowledge, I've tapped into a lot of bands you brought up here, thanks for sharing. **Sorry One Bad Son duplicated.. my bad**

Deep Dark Woods

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u5KiY98_Qco?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F70clgt8RnQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Andrea Menard

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8cObU4i5Dls?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S4OLdCMOeuw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sheep Dogs... I know they're not unknown in many parts, but I'm not sure how big in the states if at all

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uSMN1ugJAos?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DvCq2hmlasM?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom