Favorite Saints running play of all time (1 Viewer)

George Rogers against the Cardinals -- maybe an opening day game?? Ninety something yards, I believe? I just remember him angling toward my seat from the other side of the field and thinking,"he's going all the way.

Probably way too many to name but two that come to mind:

1. When Deuce carried half the Eagles team and just kept moving the pile
2. When Deuce plowed over the Falcons defender on the way to a TD
3. Drew scrambling against the Falcons...did the slowest Madden spin move ever but yet still worked on the Falcons defenders.

George Rogers against the Cardinals -- maybe an opening day game?? Ninety something yards, I believe? I just remember him angling toward my seat from the other side of the field and thinking,"he's going all the way.

Was that the game he had like 206 yards rushing? Had the newspaper clipping on my wall forever.

Just to get back to fun threads.

What is some of your favorite or all time favorite running plays? What do you consider the all time greatest?

Some of mine in no particular order:

Deuce vs Philly in 2006 playoffs. TD run where he pushed the pile 6 yards into the endzone. He would not be denied.

Reggie vs the Cards in the 2009 playoffs where he pinballed off a couple of guys then took off for the TD like he was shot out of a gun.

Mark Ingram vs the 49ers for a a 75 yard TD. He looked like a dang sprinter on that play.

AK's 74 TD run his rookie year vs the Rams. He was averaging like something like 6.1 yards a run that day. We had plenty other AK highlight runs.

I have many more from Ironhead and Dalton Hilliard, to Darren Sproles, Chris Ivory and Khiry Robinson and even Rickey Williams. What is some of yours

It's tough to pick a top-10, especially since every big play from the pre-Payton years was often cause for celebration in itself.

The earliest memory of a big run by a Saint was George Rogers' 76-yard TD run against, I think, the St. Louis Cardinals in 1983. It was the first full season I remember as a kid. I think he had one longer than that two years earlier, during his rookie year, but I don't remember it ;)

Jumping ahead to the Mora years, I have to single out Ironhead's 73-yard run against the Raiders in 1988. It was his first NFL touchdown. It's also every bit as memorable a "truck" hit as his 1992 run against the Falcons. The latter is remembered, most likely, because it was against the Falcons. But the run in '88 was awesome. Hit the line, hit a guy head-on, spun off him, trucked a DB (Ron Fellows, I think) and was a runaway bowling ball to the end zone.

Here in the 21st century, we've had several favorites to choose from. Deuce in the '06 playoffs against Philly, Reggie in the '09 playoffs against Arizona and the famous leap into the end zone earlier that year against Miami, so many of Ingram's and Kamara's runs that picked up crucial yards big and small, etc.

And we must acknowledge Pierre Thomas' memorable plays came on screen passes but were no less awesome than the others ;)

It's tough to pick a top-10, especially since every big play from the pre-Payton years was often cause for celebration in itself.

The earliest memory of a big run by a Saint was George Rogers' 76-yard TD run against, I think, the St. Louis Cardinals in 1983. It was the first full season I remember as a kid. I think he had one longer than that two years earlier, during his rookie year, but I don't remember it ;)

Jumping ahead to the Mora years, I have to single out Ironhead's 73-yard run against the Raiders in 1988. It was his first NFL touchdown. It's also every bit as memorable a "truck" hit as his 1992 run against the Falcons. The latter is remembered, most likely, because it was against the Falcons. But the run in '88 was awesome. Hit the line, hit a guy head-on, spun off him, trucked a DB (Ron Fellows, I think) and was a runaway bowling ball to the end zone.

Here in the 21st century, we've had several favorites to choose from. Deuce in the '06 playoffs against Philly, Reggie in the '09 playoffs against Arizona and the famous leap into the end zone earlier that year against Miami, so many of Ingram's and Kamara's runs that picked up crucial yards big and small, etc.

And we must acknowledge Pierre Thomas' memorable plays came on screen passes but were no less awesome than the others ;)

Is there any film of those Ironhead runs? I'd love to refresh my memory.

Is there any film of those Ironhead runs? I'd love to refresh my memory.

Best I could find of the run I reference is this version of the game that comes up on a YT search. Says it's just the first three quarters. Ironhead's run came in the third quarter, so it should have it in there.....

Best I could find of the run I reference is this version of the game that comes up on a YT search. Says it's just the first three quarters. Ironhead's run came in the third quarter, so it should have it in there.....

Go to 1hr 22min mark of the video. That run is outstanding!!!!!

That's why I loved big backs, lol. He was one of my favorite running backs. He shouldn't have been able to be that fast and wow what an absolute truck. He was our Christian Okoye.

Probably way too many to name but two that come to mind:

2. When Deuce plowed over the Falcons defender on the way to a TD

That was mine. He steamrolled a Falcons safety. Probably registered on the Richter Scale. It was awesome. But then we lost the game. It was about halfway through the 2002 season. That was the game that started the slide from 6-1 to 7-9. But it was not Deuce's fault!

Last edited:

Dalton Hilliard and Ironhead Heyward were my favorites as a kid. Wore 21 in pee wee football because of Hilliard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom