Favorite Unsung/Underrated Moment in Franchise History... (1 Viewer)

FGE413

Reaction score
Is there a great moment or individual achievement in Saints history you feel doesn't get enough love?

For me, it's Pierre Thomas's 4th and 1 conversion near midfield in OT in the NFCCG vs. the Vikings. The LB (Leber or Greenway) put his helmet square on the ball while PT was in midair, yet somehow he held onto the ball and it did not go flying into the backfield. I will never understand how PT was able to hold onto that ball.

Runner-up: Willie Jackson's playoff romp vs. the Rams in 2000.

Great offseason thread; thx. :9:

Kilmer's accurate desperation throw and Al Dodd's exceptional stretch & catch toe-tapper.

Without that play, Tom Dempsey does not get a chance to kick the record-setting 63 yd. field goal. Watch at the 0:32 second mark.

:gosaints:

Footnote: This game also set an UNOFFICAL record for attendance at an NFL game. This is because a sample survey the following year of citizens in the Greater New Orleans area yielded a count of 297,403 people who claimed that they were physically at that game. :ezbill:

Last edited:
The Saints go to Philadelphia in winter and win a road playoff game by running the ball down the throats of the Eagles to seal the game. That win tends to get lost because of the 3 seasons that followed. But I really feel that was a great win, especially overcoming turnovers.

Saints 51 - Packers 29...............MNF ....11/24/2008.

In a season which was largely filled with maddening inconsistency and a constant rotation of wins and losses..........it was as if a curtain was temporarily pulled back and we were shown a vision of things we'd see in 2009.

It's also the game that kicked off a nice little 7-0 win streak at home on MNF, which ended exactly 6 years later on 11/24/2014 against the Ravens. During that 7-0 run....the Saints won only one of those games by single digits......which was an 8-point win over the Falcons in 2009.

Saints 51 - Packers 29...............MNF ....11/24/2008.

We were there, I believe that was the night Deuce broke the Saints rushing record. Daughter was 3 at the time and kept yelling DOOOOSE it was awesome. The Packers were staying in our hotel, the JW Marriott, so saw some of them and their real-life fan, the dad (Red Foreman) from the 70s show in the hotel lobby. Asked him to please call me a dumbarse and he did! Great night.

To answer the OP, Kyle Turley's inspirational beat-down of the Rams defense in the 2001 regular season game, we came back from a big deficit to win, and if you looked closely it was clear he was our leader.

Last edited:
Pierre Thomas dive over the top for the First Down on 4th and 1 in OT against the Vikings. I have watched a lot of football, and so few times have I seen that play when its not at the goal line. I think that play took years off my life while it was happening. If he doesn't get the 1st down, Farve doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Is there a great moment or individual achievement in Saints history you feel doesn't get enough love?

For me, it's Pierre Thomas's 4th and 1 conversion near midfield in OT in the NFCCG vs. the Vikings. The LB (Leber or Greenway) put his helmet square on the ball while PT was in midair, yet somehow he held onto the ball and it did not go flying into the backfield. I will never understand how PT was able to hold onto that ball.

Not only that but then the officials reviewed it and made the right call about his forward progress. I was so ready for that to go against us. Just like in the Super Bowl with Moore's two point conversion. I was ready for the officials to blow it but they made the right call again.

Instead of a "unsung-underrated" moment, I'll add a "zany" moment (This is a repeat of a previous post of mine.):

When John Fourcade threw an INT and during the runback, the defender fumbled the ball, upon which Fourcade scooped it up and ran it back for a TD!

Just like they did it practice!!!! :)

(The last line is pure Sarcasm...)

I found this:

"One of Fourcade’s scoring passes was a team-record 82-yard play to TE Mike Waters who was cut by three teams in 1987 alone including New Orleans. Fourcade also scored on an incredible fumble return after one of his passes had been intercepted by the Rams, fumbled after three laterals, and then scooped up by Fourcade who went 75 yards down the left sideline for a score that makes blooper highlight tapes to this day. "
BUCPOWER.COM

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom