FBI Re-opens Case of Infamous 1971 Skyjacker, D.B. Cooper (1 Viewer)

You're right. We should have this written in textbooks right away. There should be a National Day of Rememberence to D.B. Cooper (who was not Jimmie James) and we should coincide that with the other national holidays of Big Foot Awareness Week and Anna Nichole Smith Memorial Day.

These are the important days in history and if we forget them, than we are doomed to jump out of planes after hiijacking them and never being heard from again.

You're right. We should have this written in textbooks right away. There should be a National Day of Rememberence to D.B. Cooper (who was not Jimmie James) and we should coincide that with the other national holidays of Big Foot Awareness Week and Anna Nichole Smith Memorial Day.

These are the important days in history and if we forget them, than we are doomed to jump out of planes after hiijacking them and never being heard from again.

There is much historical significance to this story; here is one thing that came about because of Cooper's act:

"A Cooper vane is a mechanical aerodynamic wedge that prevents the airstair or rear stairway of an aircraft from being lowered in flight. Following three hijackings in 1972, Boeing 727 aircraft were ordered by the Federal Aviation Administration to be fitted with Cooper vanes. The device was named for famed airplane hijacker D. B. Cooper, who used the rear stairway to exit a plane in flight and make his escape via parachute."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Vane

There is much historical significance to this story; here is one thing that came about because of Cooper's act:

"A Cooper vane is a mechanical aerodynamic wedge that prevents the airstair or rear stairway of an aircraft from being lowered in flight. Following three hijackings in 1972, Boeing 727 aircraft were ordered by the Federal Aviation Administration to be fitted with Cooper vanes. The device was named for famed airplane hijacker D. B. Cooper, who used the rear stairway to exit a plane in flight and make his escape via parachute."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Vane

In fairness, i'm not sure the Cooper vane represents historical significance.

$200K might have been a fortune in '71 but now it's the cost of an average house. I wonder how much this new investigation is going to cost? If it lasts more than a few days I bet it easily costs more than $200K. Another stupid investigation that will cost the taxpayers millions (don't get me wrong I'm not for letting criminals get away with it but at some point you have to let it go.).......

actully most investigations for property crimes cost more than the value taken. then look at the assault type crimes with nothing of value was lost. ie murder. with DNA , fingerprints blood work up ,autopsy, and so on the cost is very high.
if we were to go by your standard, police would not be ivestigating much... to use the expence as an excuse not to reopen the case is a poor reason.

I am no lawyer, but for those of here that are, wouldn't the statute of limitations have run out on this? Even if he were found alive, what could they do to him?

I personally believe he never made it out alive.

i dont think there is a statute of limitations on hijacking...

Yo:

SEATTLE - The FBI is analyzing a torn, tangled parachute found buried by children in southwest Washington to determine whether it might have been used by famed plane hijacker D.B. Cooper, the agency said.

Children playing outside their home near Amboy found the chute's fabric sticking up from the ground in an area where their father had been grading a road, agent Larry Carr said Tuesday. They pulled it out as far as they could, then cut the parachute's ropes with scissors.

D.B. Cooper's parachute possibly found - Yahoo! News

Heritage to Auction 15 'D.B. Cooper' Notes
By Bank Note Reporter
May 21, 2008

"Fifteen $20 Federal Reserve Notes from the 1971 "D.B. Cooper" skyjacking will be offered to the public for the first time June 13-14 by Heritage Auction Galleries.

These notes are from among the 84 "D.B. Cooper" notes and fragments owned by Brian Ingram, 36, of Mena, Ark., who was 8 years old in 1980 when he found the only ransom money discovered from the still-unsolved skyjacking.

"The serial numbers all match the FBI's list of $20 bills given to the skyjacker known as 'D.B. Cooper' who parachuted from a jetliner with the cash somewhere between Seattle, Wash., and Reno, Nev., during a rainstorm on Nov. 24, 1971," said Steve Ivy, co-chairman of Heritage and a longtime paper money collector.

"The 15 pieces consigned by Ingram include two Series 1963A and four Series 1969 Federal Reserve Notes," Ivy detailed.

The "D.B. Cooper" cash will be offered as part of an auction of Americana online and in Dallas, Texas.

"As a collectible, these notes cross several lines of interest. Of course, they appeal to many currency collectors, but they also have great appeal to people who enjoy general Americana and popular culture items as well as those who collect 'outlaw' items, an area that has a big following," said Ivy.

Ingram's "D.B. Cooper" notes were authenticated by PCGS Currency in February and encapsulated in specially labeled holders. The labels have the FBI's 1971 artist's sketch of the skyjacking suspect who has still not been found. "

http://www.numismaster.com/ta/numis/Article.jsp?ad=article&ArticleId=4496

Watching a new doc on HBO called ‘The Mystery of DB Cooper’.. not a very original title, but pretty good so far.

I haven't seen any film crews around. They must not have felt that parachute find was all that important.

Amboy is about a mile from my place.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom