FBI unveils large-scale college admissions bribery scandal - high-profile arrests made (1 Viewer)

Somebody did it for University of San Diego. Acceptance rate: 51%

It’s so crazy - what message does this send the kids? Helping me cheat my way into college has to be just about near the bottom of the list of things my parents would ever consider doing for me.

Me: Dad I can’t get into college, help me cheat.

My Dad:

I see your point, but that actually seems pretty selective to me, lol.. then again, i went to LSU in the 90s, when i’m pretty sure the acceptance rate was 100%.

Bribing your way into Yale seems like bribing your way into a backstage pass to the Stones show at Jazzfest.

Bribing your way into U of San Diego seems like bribing your way into getting into the main gate 5 minutes before they open when you have a GA ticket.

It’s so crazy - what message does this send the kids? Helping me cheat my way into college has to be just about near the bottom of the list of things my parents would ever consider doing for me.
Right? I'd be like, Hey, rich Mom and Dad, why don't you just give ME the money and I'll be good and then you can stay out of trouble. Again, I don't see ANY of the upside of rich parents doing this that they can't already do for their kids by virtue of their bank accounts and the connections they may have since, you know, apparently some of the kids aren't planning on attending classes and stuff and actually getting an education.

Second, I mention it to show what a complete scam the ACT and SAT are. They are supposed to be "predictors" of how a student will do in school. According to the SAT, my daughter should have been a "B" student. It doesn't predict a damn thing. Now, you see that their precious scores are easily manipulated and are outright for sale. High schools and colleges need to re-think the standardize testing, or at least their importance. It is a scam from beginning (hey take these prep-courses) all the way to just paying for the scores you want.

this is one reason why I prefer the Canadian system of post-secondary applications. There is no standardized test. And, increasingly (though still too slowly for my liking), schools in the US are changing the emphasis on these standardized tests.

The fact that I got through high school without ever making anything lower than an 'A' mattering less than a single test I took in a couple of hours is absurd. Or even comparably. Or the community service or the extra- and co-curriculars.

It's stupid.

I didn't hear much from universities until I took my ACT and once my score was posted, all of a sudden letters started coming in. By this point, I was in school for three years and doing well across a number of measurables. And yet, none of that registered. Just that test score.

Admissions offices are evolving and coming up with more complex approaches to ascertaining candidate viability - Canada is, generally speaking, further along (and I think it's at least partly because of the absence of standardized test score emphasis) but there's a long way to go. And there's always the 'luck' factor, or random-ness that can't be algorithm'd that others have alluded to.

Plus, school being considerably cheaper up here, for a really solid education, also helps.

so whats your point? to her, paying the bribe was the right thing to do and it was obviously more important to her than the money

see? we should have seen this coming

so whats your point? to her, paying the bribe was the right thing to do and it was obviously more important to her than the money

see? we should have seen this coming

The bribe was monetary, which she says is not important,—- but it kinda is because without it, she couldn’t bribe anyone to make it look like her daughter was smart enough to get into usc.

And ‘doing the right thing’ means following the law. She didn’t exactly follow the law.

Money clearly matters to her.

The bribe was monetary, which she says is not important,—- but it kinda is because without it, she couldn’t bribe anyone to make it look like her daughter was smart enough to get into usc.

And ‘doing the right thing’ means following the law. She didn’t exactly follow the law.

Money clearly matters to her.

OK...first, it was a joke and you are RUINING it by making me explain
  1. it was a joke
  2. the correct way to state it would be that she gave money, in the form of a bribe (because someone can use other things than money for a bribe), to get a service in return (her child admitted into the college of their choosing). the service she was getting in return was, in fact, more important to her than the money she spent
  3. it was a joke

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom