FdL's 2013 Saints Mock Draft Board (1 Viewer)

harper is one of the best safeties in the league and arguably our best defensive player

id bet my left one that harper isnt going anywhere.........its gettin a little droopy anyway

if you dont think we are going to re-sign bushrod, LT immediately becomes the #1 priority and you dont have us drafting or even considering one in the entire draft?

THE NECK HAS TO GO unless he's pulled down to play linebacker

neck is getting 4.5 mill to be a liability in coverage...

Ok,

1. Sheldon Richardson - DT - Missouri - 6'-3" - 310 Lbs. I have us trading down between 1-3 spots for this pick and getting a second rounder as well.

2. Brandon Jenkins - DE/OLB - Florida St. - 6'-3" - 262 Lbs.

3. Tharold Simon - CB - LSU - 6'-2 1/4" - 275 Lbs.

Not enough time to do more right now.

THE NECK HAS TO GO unless he's pulled down to play linebacker

he played linebacker a ton this season

hes getting paid to play 2 positions and be a defensive captain and lead the team in tackles and INTs and snaps played etc etc

what more can you want?

he was 8 tackles shy of the team lead

1 INT shy of the team lead

he was 3rd on the team in passes defensed and first in solo tackles

hes getting paid to play 2 positions and be a defensive captain and lead the team in tackles and INTs and snaps played etc etc

what more can you want?

You want to compare Harper stats to other players on the same team that are also responsible for obtaining the worst defense in history label, wow you just made Harper relevance look weaker and weaker. Why don`t you compare him to other good safeties in the league like Ed Reed, Dashon Goldson, Jarious Byrd, or Donte Whitner,

Alright, here's the second half. I'll be going back to revise the first half soon enough.

Round Five.
1. Brian Winters, OT Kent State. Winters is huge, standing 6'6" and weighing just under three hundred pounds - but is surprisingly agile, running an average 5.0 40 time. If Aaron Kromer and Payton aren't sold on the handful of backups we have on the practice squad as of right now then he'd be an excellent acquisition. He anchored a line that gave up only three sacks over an eight-game span in 2012, and should transition well to the pros.
2. Stefan Charles, DT Regina. Akiem Hicks' former teammate is just as impressive as he is, standing at 6'5" and weighing around 310 pounds. He's the number one prospect in the CFL draft and with help from a great defensive line like Spags, could blossom into a force in the middle of the line.
3. Mario Benavides, C Louisville. Benavides is a smart and athletic center who could start right away or learn from Brian de la Puente for a season. He's been a key force in getting the Cardinals an average rushing total of 127.1 yards per game, and has owned the starting job at Louisville for four years running. Regardless of whether he starts now or in 2014, he'd be an upgrade over de la Puente.
Round Six.
1. Ray Ray Armstrong, FS Miami/Faulkner. To say that Armstrong has had a tumultuous college career is an understatement. At Miami he was a player with blue chip talent and great pro prospects; after getting caught up in the scandal with a cheating recruiter, he's had to leave the school and try his hands elsewhere, going to the small Faulkner University. There he had a solid 2012 campaign and finished with a 3.0 GPA, with his coaches speaking highly of how well he's distanced himself from the Miami controversy.
2. Mike Catapano, DE Princeton. You don't see Ivy Leaguers getting much NFL attention, and for us that may be a very good thing. Catapano is a big guy with a high motor, posting six games with at least a half-sack in his senior year at Princeton. He'll likely go overlooked by most NFL scouts and will fall a bit; if we wait to get a DE, he'd be a good one.
3. Cairo Santos, K Tulane. This little-known kicker from Tulane University went 21-for-21 in 2012, winning the Lou Groza Award and having the best season for a kicker in NCAA history. He tied the school record with a 57-yard field goal, one of the two of goals of 50 or more yards that he made, and made all but one extra point attempts (the one was blocked). Considering Garrett Hartley's inconsistency over the past few years, getting a sure thing like Santos to at least compete with him for the starting job until Hartley's contract expires would be a smart move.
4. Larry Webster, DE Bloomsburg. Webster is very inexperienced, having only one year of football under his belt after playing on his college's basketball team. Sound familiar? He has great speed and is physically very gifted, but needs to hit the weight room to get up to a pro playing weight.
Round Seven.
1. Colin Klein, QB Kansas State. The 2012 Heisman Trophy candidate lacks in accuracy he makes up for in arm strength, and could spend several years riding the bench and learning from one of the best QB's and QB developers in the game today. Give him time and he'll be someone very special one day.
2. Jordan Rodgers, QB Vanderbilt. I actually like Aaron Rodgers' younger brother more than I like Colin Klein. He's just as fast and shorter (fitting our mold for shorter QB's) than Klein while having just as high of a ceiling, and if he's anything like his older sibling then we could be in for a decade of continuously excellent quarterback play. If Klein is taken, Rodgers would be a great choice for a QB for the future.
3. Kenny Okoro, CB Wake Forest. Okoro is a good physical specimen, standing 6'1" and weighing in at 190 with an estimated 40-yard time of 4. 48 seconds. His ball skills need work but he's proven himself to be a good cover corner and solid tackler. He would be worth a selection here if we can get a decent secondary coach to develop him further.

You want to compare Harper stats to other players on the same team that are also responsible for obtaining the worst defense in history label, wow you just made Harper relevance on this team look weaker and weaker. Why don`t you compare him to other good safeties in the league like Ed Reed, Dashon Goldson, Jarious Byrd, or Donte Whitner,

of all the safeties you just listed, only whitner plays strong safety like harper.....he also had less picks and tackles than harper

ed reed had 4 picks. goldson had 3. byrd had 5. whitner had 1 and harper had 2

those arent really mind blowing numbers by any of them.

harper had more passes defensed than all of them except reed.

harper also had more tackles(32) than the next closest safety(whitner) who is also a strong safety

harper had more tackles and picks and passes defensed than the only player you listed at his position

he had more passes defensed than all of them except one of the greatest safeties to ever play

Why? So he can continue to not get enough carries to really effect the gameplan? He's the odd man out of our RB's - he doesn't pass protect as well as Ingram, he doesn't catch as well as Sproles, and can't do whatever else is asked of him including those things like PT. That said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is the year that PT is taken out of the roster - Ingram and Sproles can do what he's been doing for years, and he had the smallest impact on the offense as he ever has in 2012. I hate to see it happen, but one of our RB's has to go for the good of the team, and I'd rather get something out of them than watch them go somewhere else for nothing.

I think we need to have a bigger plan for our backs as well...we draftee Ingram to be that guy...I don't think rotating 3-4 running backs is ideal anymore and we should focus on one runner and his running mate...I don't know if that's Ingram/PT or Ingram/Ivory but I we shoukd comment to one runner from here on out...i think thats trending up again.

I'd love to get a LT that we could trust to handle that side alone and free up somebody else to run a route. I wouldn't be opposed to making a run at Long but I'm afraid that with a lot of OT's not coming out in this year's draft, it'll drive up his price even more. Is there anybody out there in FA who'd be an upgrade over Bushrod and be worth it?

Also, I have little faith in Strief, unfortunately. Do we resign Bushrod with an eye on moving him to RT, or hope that one of the backups could beat him out?

Alright, here's the second half. I'll be going back to revise the first half soon enough.

Round Five.
1. Brian Winters, OT Kent State. Winters is huge, standing 6'6" and weighing just under three hundred pounds - but is surprisingly agile, running an average 5.0 40 time. If Aaron Kromer and Payton aren't sold on the handful of backups we have on the practice squad as of right now then he'd be an excellent acquisition. He anchored a line that gave up only three sacks over an eight-game span in 2012, and should transition well to the pros.
2. Stefan Charles, DT Regina. Akiem Hicks' former teammate is just as impressive as he is, standing at 6'5" and weighing around 310 pounds. He's the number one prospect in the CFL draft and with help from a great defensive line like Spags, could blossom into a force in the middle of the line.
3. Mario Benavides, C Louisville. Benavides is a smart and athletic center who could start right away or learn from Brian de la Puente for a season. He's been a key force in getting the Cardinals an average rushing total of 127.1 yards per game, and has owned the starting job at Louisville for four years running. Regardless of whether he starts now or in 2014, he'd be an upgrade over de la Puente.
Round Six.
1. Ray Ray Armstrong, FS Miami/Faulkner. To say that Armstrong has had a tumultuous college career is an understatement. At Miami he was a player with blue chip talent and great pro prospects; after getting caught up in the scandal with a cheating recruiter, he's had to leave the school and try his hands elsewhere, going to the small Faulkner University. There he had a solid 2012 campaign and finished with a 3.0 GPA, with his coaches speaking highly of how well he's distanced himself from the Miami controversy.
2. Mike Catapano, DE Princeton. You don't see Ivy Leaguers getting much NFL attention, and for us that may be a very good thing. Catapano is a big guy with a high motor, posting six games with at least a half-sack in his senior year at Princeton. He'll likely go overlooked by most NFL scouts and will fall a bit; if we wait to get a DE, he'd be a good one.
3. Cairo Santos, K Tulane. This little-known kicker from Tulane University went 21-for-21 in 2012, winning the Lou Groza Award and having the best season for a kicker in NCAA history. He tied the school record with a 57-yard field goal, one of the two of goals of 50 or more yards that he made, and made all but one extra point attempts (the one was blocked). Considering Garrett Hartley's inconsistency over the past few years, getting a sure thing like Santos to at least compete with him for the starting job until Hartley's contract expires would be a smart move.
4. Larry Webster, DE Bloomsburg. Webster is very inexperienced, having only one year of football under his belt after playing on his college's basketball team. Sound familiar? He has great speed and is physically very gifted, but needs to hit the weight room to get up to a pro playing weight.
Round Seven.
1. Colin Klein, QB Kansas State. The 2012 Heisman Trophy candidate lacks in accuracy he makes up for in arm strength, and could spend several years riding the bench and learning from one of the best QB's and QB developers in the game today. Give him time and he'll be someone very special one day.
2. Jordan Rodgers, QB Vanderbilt. I actually like Aaron Rodgers' younger brother more than I like Colin Klein. He's just as fast and shorter (fitting our mold for shorter QB's) than Klein while having just as high of a ceiling, and if he's anything like his older sibling then we could be in for a decade of continuously excellent quarterback play. If Klein is taken, Rodgers would be a great choice for a QB for the future.
3. Kenny Okoro, CB Wake Forest. Okoro is a good physical specimen, standing 6'1" and weighing in at 190 with an estimated 40-yard time of 4. 48 seconds. His ball skills need work but he's proven himself to be a good cover corner and solid tackler. He would be worth a selection here if we can get a decent secondary coach to develop him further.

a lot more offense on this post

i actually think we will take a center and a tackle in this draft or 2 tackles depending on when they are available

i know the cry is for defense defense defense, but if we dont consider offensive help we could see a huge decline in the next few seasons

what more can you want?

They complain about his lack of speed but he is one of the few players all over the field making tackles...he had 100+ tackles this year and 3 interceptions....what he lacked were the sacks he's been know for when he plays at the LOS and blitzes from the weak side. If the team decides to go in a different direction at that position I won't argue the point but Harper has been productive since he's been here and that can't be denied even if you don't like his coverage ability.

If we stay 4-3 I like Ziggy... Our coaching staff teaches! They will get the best out of him! But i don't think the scenario is realistic.

of all the safeties you just listed, only whitner plays strong safety like harper.....he also had less picks and tackles than harper

ed reed had 4 picks. goldson had 3. byrd had 5. whitner had 1 and harper had 2

those arent really mind blowing numbers by any of them.

harper had more passes defensed than all of them except reed.

harper also had more tackles(32) than the next closest safety(whitner) who is also a strong safety

harper had more tackles and picks and passes defensed than the only player you listed at his position

he had more passes defensed than all of them except one of the greatest safeties to ever play

I`ll bet you none of those players I listed aren`t giving up 900 yards in one season. What does it mean to give up that massive amount of yards in one season....hmm well lets see

QB`s are targeting him because they know he`s weak in coverage.

QB`s are completing passes in his coverage area or whenever he`s man up with a TE. He will get more opportunities to boast his tackle stats if he`s in distance with the receiver most times he will make the tackle but he harley makes enough significant plays when needed especially against good TE`s.

The same thing applies for pass deflections the more QB`s target him the more opportunities he will have to deflect the ball the only problem is QB`s are more often successful completing there passes in his coverage area...hence the 900 yards Harper gave up in one season.

So what does those stats you just posted mean when giving up 900 yards in one season...? absolutely nothing.

I`ll bet you none of those players I listed aren`t giving up 900 yards in one season. What does it mean to give up that massive amount of yards in one season....hmm well lets see

QB`s are targeting him because they know he`s weak in coverage.

QB`s are completing passes in his coverage area or whenever he`s man up with a TE. He will get more opportunities to boast his tackle stats if he`s in distance with the receiver most times he will make the tackle but he harley makes enough significant plays when needed especially against good TE`s.

The same thing applies for pass deflections the more QB`s target him the more opportunities he will have to deflect the ball the only problem is QB`s are more often successful completing there passes in his coverage area...hence the 900 yards Harper gave up in one season.

So what does those stats you just posted mean when giving up 900 yards in one season...? absolutely nothing.

where ru getting this 900 number from. it seemed to have come out of nowhere

if hes getting so many opportunities because teams are targeting him, that explains why ed reed had more picks and pass deflections......or why jairus byrd had 5 picks

makes perfect sense now

if hes getting so many opportunities because teams are targeting him, that explains why ed reed had more picks and pass deflections......or why jairus byrd had 5 picks

makes perfect sense now

The difference between Harper and other safeties in the league such as Ed Reed or Jairus Byrd is simply instincts in coverage and the know how to turn opportunities into plays. It would have to take Harper a huge amount of pass attempts in coverage for him to make a play on the ball, QB's throwing in his area of the field will come out more times successful thus contributing to the 900 yards he gave up in one season. So in short Ed Reed and Jarius Byrd instincts in coverage and the know how to be in the right coverage area will give them a greater opportunity to make an impact play while not having to give up a ridiculous number in yards to equate for a play on a stat sheet...such as Harper. Hope that's clear enough for ya :9:

The 900 yards is a stat from PFF Harper leads all safeties in the league in giving up yards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom