Fed Up- The Documentary Taking Down the Food Industry (2 Viewers)

It can harmful in excess. It is not fundamentally harmful. Simple is fine. Inaccurate is not. I feel that saying "sugar is deadly" is incorrect and inaccurate, and will only cloud the actual message that would help regular folks understand the issue better
I understand BUT most people aren't going to parse down the semantics.
In a way, you're advocating that we foster a fundamental misunderstanding about sugar the same way we did about fat. I think we do ourselves a disservice when we paint with so broad and sensationalized approach to everything.
You're right. In a way, I am. People are looking for simple. I wish it wasn't that way but it is.

The material is there, not the education. Why I put educating our own families at the forefront is because that has a more immediate impact, and depends on far fewer dynamics than does voting people out. So while we wait for election cycles to hit, and hope that the rest of the country is thinking how we are, we can face the problem head on now.
You said in your OP that you stopped eating cookies, candies, puddings... why is that? Because you saw that documentary? Or because you knew eating cookies, candy, puddings, etc is not good for you, because they have too much sugar in them?

You say it's not harmful, then you say it increases health risks. That sounds contradicting and unnecessarily obfuscating. Do you see the problem? We need to talk in simple terms. Clearly sugar is not the same as ingesting a poison. But it is not healthful, so calling it harmful is not wrong.
Well, it is wrong to simply say "sugars are harmful". Your body naturally uses carbohydrates (sugars, starches, fibers) to function. Actually, carbohydrates are the body's preferred fuel source. But again, when you don't burn all the sugar that you eat (same with fat), that's where the problems start.

I only want to make it simple. People aren't going to read the underlying studies and data. I've already made up my mind after a lot of reading. I haven't eradicated sugar from my diet, BUT I know when I'm eating it and I don't freak out about HEALTHY fats. Unfortunately, it has been etched in people's minds that ALL fat is "harmful", the same thing you are arguing shouldn't happen to sugar.

It really is not that complicated, when you think about it. Everyone knows eating cake, cookies, ice cream, funnel cakes, french fries, etc. isn't "good" for us.

No one is going to die of diabetes eating a 6-pack of Oreos every Saturday, but if they are eating an entire 32 pack of Oreos every night while watching TV, chances are they will have health issues at one point.

Th
You said in your OP that you stopped eating cookies, candies, puddings... why is that? Because you saw that documentary? Or because you knew eating cookies, candy, puddings, etc is not good for you, because they have too much sugar in them?
The answer is in the rest of that paragraph.

Its also like telling an alcoholic to drink in moderation. Sugar is one of the, if not the, most addictive substances.

I'll add, it is not only addictive, we are conditioned from a very early age to see sweets as rewards.
Birthdays? Cake.
Easter? chocolate.
Halloween? All sorts of candy.
Shot at the doctor's office? Lollipop.
You did something good? Ice cream.

The list goes on, but you get the point.

I understand BUT most people aren't going to parse down the semantics.

You're right. In a way, I am. People are looking for simple. I wish it wasn't that way but it is.
But that doesn't mean we overstate the danger and attempt to oversell the benefits of the alternatives. that's why you have anti-vaxxers, and people who believe completely in the healing powers of essential oils. We've created an environment where expertise is dismissed and ignorance is celebrated.

And I decided a while back that I'm not willing to exist quietly in that world anymore. And when I see somebody making bogus or overblown claims, I'm much more interested now in pointing out the fallacies being put forth.

It's certainly not that I think that I know the answer, it's just that I know that you don't know what the answer is either, and really don't intend for you to be taken as a pseudo expert by those who aren't going to take the time or effort to find out if it's even close to accurate. (Not you you, but the more globally accepted "you").

I agree that overconsumption of sugar is bad for you, and there is way too much added sugar in everything.

Thing is a a glass of OJ has as much sugar as a glass of coke. Yet one is entirely natural while the other is highly artificial. So I'm not sure you can pin everything on "Big Food".

Also in most cases the stuff that that is made in store, cookies, cakes, etc. is no more healthy than that put out by any of the big distributors like Nabisco.

I generally do best when I go with a high protein, low carb, medium fat diet. I have a real problem with beverages though, I generally stick with diet sodas although they shouldn't be drunk like water like I tend to do.

I agree that overconsumption of sugar is bad for you, and there is way too much added sugar in everything.

Thing is a a glass of OJ has as much sugar as a glass of coke. Yet one is entirely natural while the other is highly artificial. So I'm not sure you can pin everything on "Big Food".

Also in most cases the stuff that that is made in store, cookies, cakes, etc. is no more healthy than that put out by any of the big distributors like Nabisco.

I generally do best when I go with a high protein, low carb, medium fat diet. I have a real problem with beverages though, I generally stick with diet sodas although they shouldn't be drunk like water like I tend to do.
But sugar that is accompanied by fiber breaks down differently in your body, and therefore doesn’t have the same effects as sugar that is unaccompanied.

If you legislated sugar out of Coca Cola, candy bars, barbecue sauce, and ice cream, the revolution would come much faster than you expect and you would be first against the wall.

This may be more of a demand side problem than it is a supply side problem

Last edited:
But sugar that is accompanied by fiber breaks down differently in your body, and therefore doesn’t have the same effects as sugar that is unaccompanied.

This is true, however this doesn't dissuade from my point that the unhealthy stuff made by "Big Food" isn't really much worse from the unhealthy stuff made by mom n' pop operations, or even from simple processes such as like juicing fruit.

Its not like the tobacco industry adding nicotine to their cigarettes.

This is true, however this doesn't dissuade from my point that the unhealthy stuff made by "Big Food" isn't really much worse from the unhealthy stuff made by mom n' pop operations, or even from simple processes such as like juicing fruit.

But you’re forgetting the manipulative targeting of children to sugary processed foods and also the tactics they use to keep daily recommended percentages of sugar off of labels. You’re also forgetting that making a decision t eat a dessert loaded with sugar isn’t the same as making a decision to eat a piece of bread that has 3 tsp of sugar in it. You’re also forgetting the manipulative tactics they use to give Sugar different names on labels so as to disguise its makeup. And their threat to Congress to hold donations from WHO when they decide try and educate people about its dangers.

Actually, it's much worse than that.

The sugar industry had research done, found out how addictive sugar was, particularly combined with salt. Even more so when when that sugar was concentrated into empty calories without fiber (higher glycemic load). That research was buried while the sugar industry funded false research that showed fat is bad and significantly downplayed the negative effects of sugar.

Then they took the research that showed just how addictive sugar was to clients in the food industry and the use of sugar and high fructose corn syrup literally exploded overnight.

Then they got together with a bunch of lobbyists in Washington to make sure the only research that hit the desk of politicians in Washington was the funded fake research and a stack of cash.

They were so nice they even helped create and finance health and nutrition guidelines for the FDA and helped create a national curriculum for public schools using the research they paid for.

I have to admit, it's freaking brilliant. It's also helped lead to the early death of tens or hundreds of millions while costing taxpayers Trillions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom