Federal Furlough pushed back 2 weeks (1 Viewer)

KCBagHead

Reaction score
We were notified today that a federal employee (DOD) furlough will be pushed back 2 weeks -- everyone was expecting to receive furlough notices tomorrow -- but now it appears that if it happens, it will be in May -- they have to give us 30 days notice.

Whatever happened with the budget today seemed to have caused a second look.

MrVoodoo

Coach J
Reaction score
supposedly they passed a continuing resolution, which averted the March 27 gov't shutdown. The 2 weeks is to allow them to analyze the CR to see if they even need to do the furloughs, or if they can reduce the number affected.

They've just wasted a BUTTLOAD of $$$ printing notices, planning for tomorrow's notices - planning alltogether for the furlough... everything that's gone into it, the man hours - it's tremendous. I've spent several hours myself planning how to run my shop during the furlough (being down 2 men out of the 4 that work for me by the time the furlough hits). It's sad... lol

But yeah - they're analyzing the impact, and then once they've done that there is a chance that they still have to do the furloughs. They'll either still have to do them at a reduced impact, not at all, or at the same impact (22 days worth of furlough). The last option basically means that you get 2 more weeks to prep/plan for the lost pay, but you still lose the same amount and 2 weeks of the furlough you'll be off 2 days rather than 1.

OP
KCBagHead

KCBagHead

Reaction score
Agreed that a lot of time and effort has gone into the planning -- it's on everyone's minds and has seriously affected commitment.

It's going to be a leadership challenge to hold all of this together.

Yesterday, someone put out that our classes were going to be cancelled and then someone else had to spend time batting that down and correcting the record.

I'm glad I don't work in Public Affairs anymore.

MrVoodoo

Coach J
Reaction score
LOL - you and me both ... I just found out that not all TDYs are cancelled - I'll be headed up to OH in a few weeks for some training. Kinda looking forward to that escape, and it'll be pre-furlough time period now so I don't have to worry about that aspect. Bad thing is that I'm down 2 men, I'll be gone a week... then a few weeks afterwards I've got my 2 week AT with the guard (thankfully that's falling right around furlough time - too bad I can't pile up all my furlough days during that period LOL)

Beast

Former Camp Beast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From what I've read and heard, the new continuing resolution gives DOD more flexibility to maneuver money between accounts, possibly to cover civilian salaries more easily.. Previously when we've operated under CRs, DOD hasn't had this flexibility.. I think the 2 weeks is like was said before, to examine the possibilities.

MrVoodoo

Coach J
Reaction score
Any idea yet how the new budget deal will impact this?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that we won't know until closer to the end of those two weeks. May learn something throughout this week, but I know they're going to be trying to push money into areas to cut the number of impacted employees if nothing else. Hopefully they can eliminate the furloughs altogether but I doubt it. Personally, rather than furloughing 400,000 of the 800,000 for 20 weeks, I'd rather them furlough the 800,000 for 10 weeks... even though considering my position I'd likely be in the 400k not furloughed - with the situation panning out the way it is, it would feel more fair to spread it out.

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lets keep posting updates and news we hear in this thread. My day job is with DOD. Luckily for me I have a second job developing land and a tractor to do extra work.

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Is is just he DOD furloughs pushed back?

I am confused here. Why were White House tours cancelled and prisoners released weeks ago?

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I am confused here. Why were White House tours cancelled and prisoners released weeks ago?
I'm not understanding this either. I was under the impression that the cuts haven't actually been implemented yet. I figured because it was retroactive to the beginning of the FY they decided to go ahead and act as though the cuts were already in place. But I really have no idea what to think about it.

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand the Navy (maybe all of DOD)requested an increase for FY13 and spent the first half the year as though they had received the requested increase. When the sequestration kicked in, the FY13 budget increase for DOD wasn't there. DOD is no trying to make up for the increased spending in the first half the year on the back of federal employees.

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score

Because they need to make sure there is some 'pain' on display as a result of the furlough.

Beast

Former Camp Beast
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

This only applies to DOD furloughs.. And it only delays them to allow digestion/implementation of HR 933.. HR 933 was passed by the House and Senate which sets out the funding of government agencies through the rest of the FY.. Odds are, there still may be furloughs involved..

Even after this occurring, sequestration remains in effect (i.e. budgets are still constrained by the %s laid out in the sequester).. Therefore, agencies are still having to make due with smaller budgets for the remainder of the year..

Regarding the tour cancellations and prisoner releases, how smart would it have been for agencies to ignore sequestration and continue spending at rates that would have them out of money before the end of the FY? Then you're talking about an agency having to completely shut down and/or beg Congress to fund them further..

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Because they need to make sure there is some 'pain' on display as a result of the furlough.
The cuts are indiscriminate and across the board. It's really the absurdity of the whole way it is designed. But its real and for people to argue that an agency didn't have to do one thing or should have done something different is pretty ridiculous too.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From what I understand the Navy (maybe all of DOD)requested an increase for FY13 and spent the first half the year as though they had received the requested increase. When the sequestration kicked in, the FY13 budget increase for DOD wasn't there. DOD is no trying to make up for the increased spending in the first half the year on the back of federal employees.
DOD is seeing the most furloughs but I know that Park Service and FAA, for example, are both having 14 day furloughs. It really depends (as you said) on how the agencies have been spending through the year already. Agencies who went ahead and found the savings even though it wasn't guaranteed that we'd go to sequester are better off than those that did not.

LSSpam

Practice Squad
Reaction score
supposedly they passed a continuing resolution, which averted the March 27 gov't shutdown. The 2 weeks is to allow them to analyze the CR to see if they even need to do the furloughs, or if they can reduce the number affected.

They've just wasted a BUTTLOAD of $$$ printing notices, planning for tomorrow's notices - planning alltogether for the furlough... everything that's gone into it, the man hours - it's tremendous. I've spent several hours myself planning how to run my shop during the furlough (being down 2 men out of the 4 that work for me by the time the furlough hits). It's sad... lol

But yeah - they're analyzing the impact, and then once they've done that there is a chance that they still have to do the furloughs. They'll either still have to do them at a reduced impact, not at all, or at the same impact (22 days worth of furlough). The last option basically means that you get 2 more weeks to prep/plan for the lost pay, but you still lose the same amount and 2 weeks of the furlough you'll be off 2 days rather than 1.

I've said it before, the absence of a long term plan that all associated pieces of the machinery can plan around is more damaging than anything else. It's trickles all the way into private enterprise as well.

Even a bad budget would be better than no budget at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom