Federal Unemployment set to expire July 31? (1 Viewer)

Im not seeing anything on this today either. Think they are just trying to find the proper language to say SOL?

From what I heard on the radio today while out driving was the state had enough funds thru Sept in an interview. Has anyone furloughed been able to by pass the work search in Louisiana? Supposedly you're allowed to if you have a date of return.

From what I heard on the radio today while out driving was the state had enough funds thru Sept in an interview. Has anyone furloughed been able to by pass the work search in Louisiana? Supposedly you're allowed to if you have a date of return.
Nope. I have an estimated return date but I had to write a statement explaining why I’m not working. I basically wrote what’s on the letter I was sent.

Based on this story, that landlord is violating the law. He was forcing them out in May, when he had to wait until July.. and also the State of Florida has their own moratorium. Granted, I don't know how any of this works. Also weird that she hasn't received anything.

Nicole Strunk lost her job as a Village Inn server in St. Augustine, Florida, four months ago and said she hasn’t yet received any unemployment benefits — but she has received a string of eviction threats from her landlord. I'm also amazed she's getting rent for $250/month with water and electricity? Maybe the personaly story is a bit fabricated, but the main point is right..

“I haven’t received a dime of unemployment or anything of pandemic money promised for COVID-19, and we have been struggling,” Strunk, whose rent is $250 a month, told Yahoo Money. “My landlord turned off our water on May 13th and then turned off the electricity on us two separate times.”

Strunk is one of the estimated 30 to 40 million Americans at risk of losing their homes over the next several months after a federal eviction moratorium for government-backed mortgages expired on July 24, according to a new report from The Aspen Institute, a nonpartisan think tank.

This, in theory, should continue to put pressure on congress to come together. I'd suggest writing Senators. And that's as much as I'll say on that front.

Based on this story, that landlord is violating the law. He was forcing them out in May, when he had to wait until July.. and also the State of Florida has their own moratorium. Granted, I don't know how any of this works. Also weird that she hasn't received anything.

This, in theory, should continue to put pressure on congress to come together. I'd suggest writing Senators. And that's as much as I'll say on that front.

DeSantis has admitted the system is designed to fail. The goal is to keep as many people off the FL UI rolls as possible. Lots of states are designed with this goal.

The lady in the article said she has not received UI. She is also a waitress. There's a good chance that even if she gets UI she will see a lower state payment due to industry-wide under reporting of tips. She maybe renting a single room in a group house if her total is $250. It's also possible that she is on section 8 and her portion due is only $250 while the government covers the rest.

People ask why the government sent out $1200 checks. It's because immediate aid was needed, state UI is a mess, and personal savings are non-existent for many. The federal government should put out $600/month direct stimulus until the end of the year (5months = 3K) and reduce UI because it's not getting to enough people.

DeSantis has admitted the system is designed to fail. The goal is to keep as many people off the FL UI rolls as possible. Lots of states are designed with this goal.

The lady in the article said she has not received UI. She is also a waitress. There's a good chance that even if she gets UI she will see a lower state payment due to industry-wide under reporting of tips. She maybe renting a single room in a group house if her total is $250. It's also possible that she is on section 8 and her portion due is only $250 while the government covers the rest.

People ask why the government sent out $1200 checks. It's because immediate aid was needed, state UI is a mess, and personal savings are non-existent for many. The federal government should put out $600/month direct stimulus until the end of the year (5months = 3K) and reduce UI because it's not getting to enough people.

Absolutely. I think the direct payments are the best, most efficient way of getting help to the people who most need it. For unexplained reasons,2 members of my family were denied UI for no legitimate reason. So they're getting nothing when they were previously working.

We're fortunate that I'm still working. Can't imagine being a family and not having any income at all. Well, I can, but we always had something of a social net, but these days, the dynamics and circumstances are so different.

Bell Edwards is having his press conference right now for La response to the bill. I can tell you that per the website, they have already implemented the job search criteria again. Being in the restaurant industry I can tell you I don't have issue with that part because at this point I don't know what is going on with my job

Bend Over GIF by memecandy - Find & Share on GIPHY

so to recap, they can't figure out all the details. Sounds like Louisiana has a better chance at the 300 than the 400 and either way, since its pulling from FEMA, that money would probably be depleted within 5 or 6 weeks.

And if there happens to be a natural disaster like a hurricane during that time...

so to recap, they can't figure out all the details. Sounds like Louisiana has a better chance at the 300 than the 400 and either way, since its pulling from FEMA, that money would probably be depleted within 5 or 6 weeks.

And if there happens to be a natural disaster like a hurricane during that time...

Per POTUS, the states will have to "apply" for and be "granted" the $300.

I can almost assure you what states get "rubber stamped" and what states get " we need more info".

Per POTUS, the states will have to "apply" for and be "granted" the $300.

I can almost assure you what states get "rubber stamped" and what states get " we need more info".

well they are apparently not even sure how to apply right now. Everyone is supposedly on the phone trying to figure out what the heck it means.

Hope y’all can hold out for one month.

From article:
“If it doesn’t happen in the next 48 hours, I think this is all you’re going to see until Congress gets back into session after Labor Day," Grassley told reporters.

There's little reason to think a deal will be reached before then.

The four key negotiators have not met in person since Friday, when the talks officially collapsed.

All I can say is this. Write your Senators, if you care about this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom