Federal Unemployment set to expire July 31? (2 Viewers)

We shouldn't be printing trillions of dollars to give to them, either. The feds are literally stealing our wealth without ever touching our assets.
I’m not disagreeing with that. I just think in this case, and in others, you have people whose lives are being destroyed because of this virus. Not only health wise, but asset wise. I’m not saying the government should pick up the bill for all the toys on credit and what have you. But, I do think it’s wrong when people can’t eat, can’t get or maintain insurance, can’t hold onto assets they have worked for years for to be destroyed in this situation. If and extra 600 bucks may keep someone in their house and food on the table, then that’s what should be happening.

o. m. g. i still make *too much", as a single male, paying more in credit card debt, hospital related, which allowed more time with my wife, i'm ok with that still, but, not eligible for anything? that debt is more than 2/3 my salary.

this system isn't just flawed, but 100% forked up.

i Iwork my arse off to pay off my wife's medical debt, only because "the best" md anderson was the greatest.

fork them and fork everything about them. what a crock of sheet.

those "genius doctors" did absolutely nothing. my credit cards say that they like money.

unless they diagnoses, perform surgery, you are basically a test subject.

i cannot stress this enough.

When I had Guillain-Barre in December, 2000 I was IMO criminally misdiagnosed initially. The hospital stay ended up costing nearly $100,000 and during the stay they almost killed me twice

They never saw a penny of my money. fork them

Looks like whatever momentum that was had has been lost.

I think there will be a gap in coverage and there will be some short term pain.

If you're collecting Unemployment, I hope you've socked some money away, it's going to get dry...

Forcing businesses to close created this economic disaster. Maybe it was the right thing to do, maybe it wasn't. All I know for sure is that 2020 will be studied for decades.

Imo, it was the right thing to do, and still is the right thing to do. It would have been far more effective if we had screened everyone coming into the country and contact tracing/quarantining new cases back when this was all manageable and shut down completely for a month when it became apparent that community spread started happening. Too little too late now though.

Folks. The government needs to extend this till November at least. I’m afraid America will go to a very dark place if we do not. The Economists all agree it needs to be extended. I’m not going to get political on this board but if we don’t help those that are still in need it is going to get really bad. High crime, riots, more protests, even a major stock market crash could happen. Pray Congress does the right thing and extends unemployment.
They will not pass a new plan for $600. They will pass a plan that pays 70% of your gross earnings, with a not to exceed dollar amount, which I have not seen, or read yet. Add in the state’s max and it should help all those still unemployed. There is also an incentive based payment being discussed as a supplemental amount, of $450/week, to encourage many to take lesser paying jobs and to just get back to work.

My concern is, there may be jobs available for a lot of people to consider, but most of the jobs out there will be part time jobs without any benefits. The $450 supplemental pay will not go a long way, especially when perspective employers know the $450 will be in play. It will create a situation, where even part time pay will be reduced, per hour! There is no easy answer, until a vaccine is found, or it just goes dormant.

Last edited:
Imo, it was the right thing to do, and still is the right thing to do. It would have been far more effective if we had screened everyone coming into the country and contact tracing/quarantining new cases back when this was all manageable and shut down completely for a month when it became apparent that community spread started happening. Too little too late now though.
Well there were too many varied “expert” opinions at the beginning, when all of this was just coming out the blocks. It is a novel virus. It was unknown. There was not a lot of facts being passed on to the rest of the world by the Chinese, which was a detriment. The rest of the world had to learn and try to come to grips with it by the seat of their pants. In hindsight, many of the steps you have written, are now certainly obvious. And once we get thru this, everyone will certainly be an expert!!!

o. m. g. i still make *too much", as a single male, paying more in credit card debt, hospital related, which allowed more time with my wife, i'm ok with that still, but, not eligible for anything? that debt is more than 2/3 my salary.

this system isn't just flawed, but 100% forked up.

i Iwork my arse off to pay off my wife's medical debt, only because "the best" md anderson was the greatest.

fork them and fork everything about them. what a crock of sheet.

those "genius doctors" did absolutely nothing. my credit cards say that they like money.

unless they diagnoses, perform surgery, you are basically a test subject.

i cannot stress this enough.
So you are saying Dr’s are experimenting on people, and defrauding everyone? I guess then, it makes all of your medical concerns going forward easier.

Well there were too many varied “expert” opinions at the beginning, when all of this was just coming out the blocks. It is a novel virus. It was unknown. There was not a lot of facts being passed on to the rest of the world by the Chinese, which was a detriment. The rest of the world had to learn and try to come to grips with it by the seat of their pants. In hindsight, many of the steps you have written, are now certainly obvious. And once we get thru this, everyone will certainly be an expert!!!

Maybe, but, if you go back to early in our original thread where a few people were ridiculing China completely shutting things down and thinking they were dumb for doing that. We had other people in the thread saying very early on that some form of a lockdown was needed back then, but by the time stay at home orders were given, the train had already left the station and there was no turning back at that point. Looking back, we now know, based on what New Zealand and other countries who have successfully dealt with the virus that shutting things down early is the best way to prevent community spread. We knew it was coming and did little to stop it. There were plenty of warning signs as far back as January. And certainly, we have assets on the ground overseas to verify this stuff was real long before it arrived in our country.

There clearly were warning signs. We were talking about superspreaders in late January iirc. Cases had started making their way into Europe by then. If we on SR knew about it by then, authorities at the federal level were likely well aware of this weeks, if not months earlier. Just collective heads in the sand imo.

SMH...so this will be the rhetoric huh. Odd how all countries but the USA figured it out.

They will not pass a new plan for $600. They will pass a plan that pays 70% of your gross earnings, with a not to exceed dollar amount, which I have not seen, or read yet.

This would actually be a decent compromise, but it will only work IMO if it’s a blanket 70% of the original $600 , rather than having each state trying to figure out what 70% of each one of the 52 million currently unemployed people’s salary was prior to the pandemic.. there’s just no way with The current systems and manpower that that could be done efficiently enough to get Unemployment checks to people in a year, much less within the next few weeks... As i mentioned earlier in the thread, what’s ’fair’ should be a component , but the rule of the day moving forward needs to be simplicity.

This would actually be a decent compromise, but it will only work IMO if it’s a blanket 70% of the original $600 , rather than having each state trying to figure out what 70% of each one of the 52 million currently unemployed people’s salary was prior to the pandemic.. there’s just no way with The current systems and manpower that that could be done efficiently enough to get Unemployment checks to people in a year, much less within the next few weeks... As i mentioned earlier in the thread, what’s ’fair’ should be a component , but the rule of the day moving forward needs to be simplicity.

The issue isn't that 70% is too complicated for states to figure out. States are 4-5 months into the initial crush of claims and adding one formula to a state UI system shouldn't break it. However, systems always find a way to fail and will need weeks to months to implement. The benefit of a 70% number is that it should somewhat account for cost of living differences.

The issue is the federal government shouldn't subsidize low UI states. If you make $40K, median US wage, then 70% of that breaks down to a weekly of $538. If you live in a state with $550+ UI, then you would get nothing from the feds. If you live in a sub $300 max benefit UI state, then the feds will make up the difference.

Just offer a flat $250-350 federal benefit. If they still want to do a 70%, then do it over the combined state UI and federal base amount. Most people will be covered by the lower federal flat amount that is already in place with less chance of system failures. States could even run the %-over checks as a separate issuance a month or two later if needed.

Edit: remove some text

Last edited:
The issue isn't that 70% is too complicated for states to figure out. States are 4-5 months into the initial crush of claims and adding one formula to a state UI system shouldn't break it. However, systems always find a way to fail and will need weeks to months to implement. The benefit of a 70% number is that it should somewhat account for cost of living differences.

The issue is the federal government shouldn't subsidize low UI states. If you make $40K, median US wage, then 70% of that breaks down to a weekly of $538. If you live in a state with $550+ UI, then you would get nothing from the feds. If you live in a sub $300 max benefit UI state, then the feds will make up the difference.

Just offer a flat $250-350 federal benefit. If they still want to do a 70%, then do it over the combined state UI and federal base amount. Most people will be covered by the lower federal flat amount that is already in place with less chance of system failures. States could even run the %-over checks as a separate issuance a month or two later if needed.

Edit: remove some text

I see what you’re saying, but i think the crux of the issue is that i will always, always error on the side of making sure people have enough money to pay their bills.. versus what some think (not directed at you) , which is that it’s tantamount to a mortal sin for someone To receive even one cent more than they would’ve made had there not been a global pandemic.. meanwhile the country’s Wealthiest families have added an estimated $150 billion to their coffers during this shutdown, and almost no one complains about that.. at the end of the day, ain’t nobody ever got rich off an extra $600 a week.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom