Federal Unemployment set to expire July 31? (1 Viewer)

So in reading the article just posted. It’s too much to provide an extra 400 in unemployment, yet that’s only a small part Of the money of that bill.
It simply gives me a bad taste in my mouth is all. Why is it ok to flood money to the small part of the population which already has it, yet it causes so much debate and anger that someone might possibly get a couple hundred extra during a pandemic? A time where the prices of almost everything I’ve seen have risen, sometimes dramatically.

I see what you’re saying, but i think the crux of the issue is that i will always, always error on the side of making sure people have enough money to pay their bills.. versus what some think (not directed at you) , which is that it’s tantamount to a mortal sin for someone To receive even one cent more than they would’ve made had there not been a global pandemic.. meanwhile the country’s Wealthiest families have added an estimated $150 billion to their coffers during this shutdown, and almost no one complains about that.. at the end of the day, ain’t nobody ever got rich off an extra $600 a month.

That’s an additional $600 a week. I collected it for six weeks during my furlough. The problem is I know people who are turning down their jobs because they make as much or more from unemployment now. I think it needs to be adjusted.

That’s an additional $600 a week. I collected it for six weeks during my furlough. The problem is I know people who are turning down their jobs because they make as much or more from unemployment now. I think it needs to be adjusted.
So you are saying to those people as yourself who needed it, received it, probably helped greatly during this time should suffer with lower payments because a small portion would rather not work? Are we really as a country that bad off that we can’t say, ok chill for a bit while this continues? If they don’t want their job back, someone else will find that job and take it. It’s not like that job is at a net loss. Then, say in January they will be looking for a job. Oh well. Why does everything in this country always have to fall under a person being worthless if they are not working? How much of this time has become family time? Clean up house, yard, improvements to them keeping that portion of the economy going? It’s not a one thing only benefit.
I’ve had friends who work in the state welfare department. It costs more to root out the waste and people taking advantage of the situation than it ever would to spend the money to end it. Yes the few get publicity. But the vast majority are good honest people who simply do the best they can.
Let’s step back from that attitude and look instead at the millions this has helped, for less than what has been wasted by Brady, Kanye, and all the others who have vastly abused the system with a far greater money pot.

You’re right, and i was aware that it was weekly, despite what i typed.. i went ahead and edited it.. My point stands.

And in re to your take that people are turning down jobs because of it, as i mentioned earlier in the thread- i think those people are outliers.. i think the vast majority of people would rather be productive while earning a decent wage.

I see what you’re saying, but i think the crux of the issue is that i will always, always error on the side of making sure people have enough money to pay their bills.. versus what some think (not directed at you) , which is that it’s tantamount to a mortal sin for someone To receive even one cent more than they would’ve made had there not been a global pandemic.. meanwhile the country’s Wealthiest families have added an estimated $150 billion to their coffers during this shutdown, and almost no one complains about that.. at the end of the day, ain’t nobody ever got rich off an extra $600 a month.
I agree with you. I'm offering what I expect as a compromise - $250-350 flat - and should have made that clearer. I personally think the best and easiest solution right now is a flat $400-600 benefit with federal UI extended until Jan 31 until better systems can be put in place. Leaders had months to come up with creative plans and wasted it. If we see a benefits gap of more than 3-4 weeks, then we could see some serious societal problems.

Long-term an 80% wage replacement with a minimum combined federal/state of $7.25/hr or $290/wk would be ideal. I would require states to provide a minimum of $250/wk benefit for fully unemployed with a max of at least $400/wk to participate in the federal program.

PPP was a massive payout to the wealthy yet people have said little about it. I've posted an example awhile back of a $100k sole-proprietor getting $18k compared to the general population getting only $1200 or the unemployed getting $1200 plus UI of $2400/mo. Small companies made out like bandits on PPP. I would much rather see people collecting federal UI than businesses getting fat checks.

I agree with you. I'm offering what I expect as a compromise - $250-350 flat - and should have made that clearer. I personally think the best and easiest solution right now is a flat $400-600 benefit with federal UI extended until Jan 31 until better systems can be put in place. Leaders had months to come up with creative plans and wasted it. If we see a benefits gap of more than 3-4 weeks, then we could see some serious societal problems.

Long-term an 80% wage replacement with a minimum combined federal/state of $7.25/hr or $290/wk would be ideal. I would require states to provide a minimum of $250/wk benefit for fully unemployed with a max of at least $400/wk to participate in the federal program.

PPP was a massive payout to the wealthy yet people have said little about it. I've posted an example awhile back of a $100k sole-proprietor getting $18k compared to the general population getting only $1200 or the unemployed getting $1200 plus UI of $2400/mo. Small companies made out like bandits on PPP. I would much rather see people collecting federal UI than businesses getting fat checks.

So the Republican Senate plan is out....$200 of federal help.

Along with a second round of stimulus checks to individuals ( no amount given )

As for PPP, it was ripe for corruption. No oversight, no double checking to verify the numbers. Shoot, you went thru YOUR BANK - you think a bank handling $10mm in deposits are going to tell the client "sorry these papers dont seem to be adding up?" and delay payment?

Again, it was the expedient way. Now, we have had MONTHS to arrive at a better plan and here we are in the 9th hour cobbling stuff together because well....Murica.

As for PPP, it was ripe for corruption. No oversight, no double checking to verify the numbers. Shoot, you went thru YOUR BANK - you think a bank handling $10mm in deposits are going to tell the client "sorry these papers dont seem to be adding up?" and delay payment?

Again, it was the expedient way. Now, we have had MONTHS to arrive at a better plan and here we are in the 9th hour cobbling stuff together because well....Murica.

According to McConnell from the Senate floor, the individual stimulus checks will be a repeat of the last round, same amounts and same limits.

Damn shame really. Got it wrong the first time (benefits should've been up to the individual's salary IMHO, but I also understand wanting to avoid the extra work in figuring that out...

Gotta do something to try to shut us up when they throw the billions at corporations...

Ironically, ours did... three times before we got final approval. Guess we should've gone the route and ask for the world like we were Shake Shack or somehing...

Yep

there’s just no way with The current systems and manpower that that could be done efficiently enough to get Unemployment checks to people in a year, much less within the next few weeks...
That's the point.

Make it look like something is being done but still getting all of that sweet sweet suffering.

Last edited:
How does that work?

When we get laid off in Indiana, Workforce One calls my employer and verifies that we were laid off. If my employer says that we refused work we don't get unemployment.

The offer is a flat $200/wk until October when the 70% of income up to $500 would take effect. A second $1200 at the same income limits plus $500/dependent. More PPP for companies with 50% revenue lost.

People would see a $400/wk reduction for 8 weeks or $3200. But if you are a couple with two kids you will get a flat $3400. I think this comes down to a timing issue. Lots of filers took weeks if not months to get the first $1200. If families see big gaps in funds, then there will be issues.

The offer is a flat $200/wk until October when the 70% of income up to $500 would take effect. A second $1200 at the same income limits plus $500/dependent. More PPP for companies with 50% revenue lost.

People would see a $400/wk reduction for 8 weeks or $3200. But if you are a couple with two kids you will get a flat $3400. I think this comes down to a timing issue. Lots of filers took weeks if not months to get the first $1200. If families see big gaps in funds, then there will be issues.

House wants 1200 per person capped at 6k per family.

Same qualifications as first round

How does that work?

When we get laid off in Indiana, Workforce One calls my employer and verifies that we were laid off. If my employer says that we refused work we don't get unemployment.

Yeah the unemployment office called my work to verify that I was furloughed in April. Did they call back every week to make sure I hadn’t been offered a job? I doubt it. I had to log in each week I was unemployed and answer questions before I got paid. But we had a guy in my department that refused the job a month ago but started back today. I’m guessing he wanted that extra month of government checks.

House wants 1200 per person capped at 6k per family.

Same qualifications as first round

$1200 per spouse, $500 per child. Adult children in college...it depends. Didn’t claim my 2 older kids, one got $1200, and the other didn't for some unexplained reason. 2 younger teens got $500 each in addition to the $1200 for each of my wife and I. $3400. Could be higher with more young children but I don't see how cap is $6k when max for parents is $2400 total. Kids are $500 each. Weird number.

Last edited:
The offer is a flat $200/wk until October when the 70% of income up to $500 would take effect.

Still too complicated .

Not trying to shoot the messenger (i know that you personally didn’t come up with the plan).. but that plan presumes that the states can collectively (and *correctly*, based on income) calculate and process 52 million peoples’ benefits in 2 months.. and the $200 per week bridge is too little.. i think most of us would be ok with a reduction from the $600, but not all the way to $200/wk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom