Federal Watchdog Finds Government Ignored Emoluments Clause (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16/685977471/federal-watchdog-finds-government-ignored-emoluments-clause-with-trump-hotel

Officials leasing the Old Post Office Building for the the Trump International Hotel in Washington improperly ignored the Constitution's anti-corruption clauses when they continued to lease the government property to President Trump even after he won the White House, according to an internal federal government watchdog.

The Inspector General for the General Services Administration, the agency that leased the building to Trump in 2013, said in a report published Wednesday that agency lawyers decided to ignore the constitutional issues when they reviewed the lease after Trump won the 2016 election.
I wish legal issues were more clear to me, but honestly I just don't know how to read this. On the one hand it is pretty clear sounding, but if the GSA Inspector didn't end the lease then how cut and dry is it?

saint-fan

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
This might sound trite or oversimplified, but
Rules = merely a suggestion, do as you like

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This might sound trite or oversimplified, but
Rules = merely a suggestion, do as you like
First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the pirate's code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom