Fedor to fight Sylvia in July (1 Viewer)

Waymer

Waymer
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well, too bad it wasn't two years ago when both were champs (like Chuck and Wand)...but their both still in their primes and I can't wait (especially if it is on free TV...although I don't get HDNet).

Top ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures) will fight Tim Sylvia (Pictures) on July 19. The Russian mixed martial arts champion confirmed the bout to Sherdog.com on Tuesday.

"[Sylvia] is a good fighter, a strong fighter, the former UFC heavyweight champion, which is important," Emelianenko said via telephone from Stary Oskol, Russia. "I am looking forward to fighting him and training hard for this fight."

While Emelianenko was short on details, Sherdog.com has learned through sources close to the negotiations that Fedor-Sylvia would headline a card tentatively scheduled for the American Airlines Center in Dallas, the home base of HDNet Fights.

Fedor Confirms Sylvia Fight

There were conspiracy theorists out there recently who thought if this fight went down, it was with the UFC's blessing and thus the reason they allowed Tim to leave with one fight remaining on his deal. People theorized that Dana White hopes Sylvia will beat Fedor, end the "Fedor myth," and at the same time eliminate talk of a mega-fight between Fedor and Couture. But if Sylvia didn't win, well then the UFC can wash their hands of Sylvia saying they released him for a reason and he wasn't even in their own plans which says what they thought of him at this point.

I'm not sure I buy the conspiracy as much as I do that Sylvia was angered by the UFC pushing others and that in reverse the UFC really doesn't see Sylvia as a draw. Nonetheless, it's an interesting conspiracy.

Very excited about this fight. I know Sylvia is boring, but it is still an interesting fight. Fedor does have experience in fighting someone as tall as Sylvia (Semmy Schilt) He beat him pretty handily.

Fedor wins this one.

Fedor will win and the folks on the sherdog forums will act like he just beat one of the greatest hws in the world even though most of them think Tim sucks. That said, I wanna see the upset unless a Fedor win leads to Fedor vs Randy at some point.

I debated last night whether this deserved its own thread here but I'm glad you started one.

I heard the conspiracy and honestly, it makes too much sense.

Fedor by armbar? I mean, Timmy beat Nog for 3 rounds before getting tapped and Fedor has some of the slickest armbars in the game. Couldn't you see Timmy keeping Fedor at bay then gassing and getting guard pulled. Or gassing and taking Fedor down and BAM - ARMBAR?

I get HDNET (Direct TV channel only???) So I'll be watching for sure.

I debated last night whether this deserved its own thread here but I'm glad you started one.

I heard the conspiracy and honestly, it makes too much sense.

Fedor by armbar? I mean, Timmy beat Nog for 3 rounds before getting tapped and Fedor has some of the slickest armbars in the game. Couldn't you see Timmy keeping Fedor at bay then gassing and getting guard pulled. Or gassing and taking Fedor down and BAM - ARMBAR?

I get HDNET (Direct TV channel only???) So I'll be watching for sure.

I certainly have a hard time seeing Tim winning, but at the same time Tim's the best competition for Fedor since probably Cro Cop 3 years ago. I could see Tim winning a decision, but I can't see him KO'ing Fedor. But, who knows what Tim will show up? The one who decimated the entire heavyweight division with big time knockout power, or the one who goes to decisions with Jeff Monson and Brandon Vera.

Heck, maybe he'll cut Fedor with a jab and the fight will be stopped and the MMA world will riot while Sylvia parades around.

I could see Sylvia winning. It's not too hard to imagine. It would go something like this.

1. Sylvia throwing a few jabs while backing up.
2. Sylvia pushing Fedor against the cage for a couple minutes.
3. Sylvia stopping a takedown attempt, followed by laying on top of Fedor for a couple minutes.
4. Ref standing them up.
5. Repeat.

I didn't even realize Sylvia had left the UFC.. When did that occur?
UFC released him after the Big Nog loss even though he had one fight left on his UFC contract. That's why people are speculating what Waymer said in OP about being a setup for Fedor to lose.

followed by laying on top of Fedor for a couple minutes.

I think that's where Timmy loses. I am with you the rest of the way but if Timmy ends up on top of Fedor I think he loses an arm like in his fight with Frank Mir. SNAP!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom